Why become a member? ×

Need help and quick!

Weststarx

Hi Chaps,

My Laney RB9 has once again let me down before a gig, so with no backup this time I need to buy a new amp with next day delivery as I have a gig on Saturday!!

I can afford up to £400 max...

I've looked at the following...

Which one is the least likely to break down on me!?

TC Electronic

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/tc-electronic-bc500-bass-guitar-amp-head/50706"]http://www.gak.co.uk...-amp-head/50706[/url]

Hartke

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hartke-lh500-head/25125"]http://www.gak.co.uk...h500-head/25125[/url]

Fender

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-rumble-500-head-v3/92781"]http://www.gak.co.uk...0-head-v3/92781[/url]

Ampeg

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ampeg-pf-500-bass-head/45208"]http://www.gak.co.uk...bass-head/45208[/url]

Thanks!

Edited by Weststarx

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1410390408' post='2549055']
Can nobody hire/lend this fellow a decent amp, at least for Saturday..? Seems a shame to have to rush into such a decision. I've got an amp that's up to it, but I'm in France... :blush:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

thanks dad but I'd be really worried using someone elses amp just in case it broke when I'm playing with it.

I'm drawn to the Ampeg just because of the name and the Fender because Ive used one before and liked the tone - just worried how reliable it is.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON. Amps break, whatever brand you buy. Just like anything else. Sometimes it is something simple and fixable and sometimes it is a sign that the amp is old and coming to the end of its life or a major rebuild is in order. Just like your car really.

If you have £400 to spend and an unreliable non-fixable amp the enjoy choosing a new one which will give you pleasure for years to come. Choose it because of the way it sounds and don't rush into an impulse buy. None of the amps you mention should be unreliable, it isn't the basis on which you should choose.

Do have a back up amp though, I have a little PA amp I carry, at a pinch it will run the PA or act as a backup bass amp, it might even act as a guitar amp in an emergency.

That leaves you with the problem of making a noise at your gig. Looks like someone locally might help you out (you gotta love bass players). Have you taken your amp to a tech, they'll usually fix things quickly in an emergency or lend you something to tide you over. Even if you decide to move on a fixed amp is worth a few quid to someone so you'll get the repair price back. All the other options are open to you and many small music shops will lend/hire to a musician in need.

If not then there are other ways of making a noise which will get you through a gig. Borrow a spare guitar amp so long as you use bass speakers. Use a PA amp and even a PA speaker. DI through the PA and use a monitor on stage.

If you and your band are charging for gigs then you need to carry enough spares/backup to get through the gig. No amp however new and expensive can be guaranteed to work, there's always the one in 10,000 chance of it going wrong just like anything else electrical or mechanical.

Good luck, I'm sure there is some solution out there, sorry I'm not near enough to help, have a good gig.

I wouldn't rush into a purchase & see who on here can loan you one for the gig, or hire one.

Personally I wouldn't choose any of the amps you listed, but that's down to my own personal taste. It would be worth looking at what's available on here. You'll get a good head for @ £400.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1410391850' post='2549077']
I have a Trace Elliot head you can borrow, but if I was stuck I would head down to my local rehearsal studion and see if I could borrow one for the gig.

As Dad says, not a decision you should rush into.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure one of my local rehearsal studios would be willing to help,
or hire out an amp. Good suggestion :)

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1410391969' post='2549078']
thanks dad but I'd be really worried using someone elses amp just in case it broke when I'm playing with it.

I'm drawn to the Ampeg just because of the name and the Fender because Ive used one before and liked the tone - just worried how reliable it is.
[/quote]

The Ampeg PF500 has got a nasty habit of breaking down and dying, they can be very hit and miss in terms of reliability - if your going to get an Ampeg head get the PF800, they seem to be much more reliable for some reason and no reports of them going wrong

If the dozens of posts on Talkbass are to be believed you will almost be guaranteed that your Ampeg choice will break down.

Look in the classifieds. Lozz196 has an RH450 and there are MarkBass and Ashdown amps not too far from you.

I'd take someone up on their offer of a loan. It's worth the extra journey and you can drop them a bottle of something.

Thanks for the various offers of lending me amps guys, its really really kind of you and I admire your braveness!

The studio bass amp is already hired out apparently, and I would not feel comfortable in lending gear off a fellow bass player as I would feel so guilty if I used someones amp and it died or some idiot punter spilt beer over it when I was using it - even if i couldnt do anything about it, I would just feel absolutely terrible...

Thanks for the quick replies on the Ampeg, that was the one I was going more towards so I'm glad I held fire until this morning. It was your replies that reminded be of an interview with Billy Sheehan i watched with him talking about Ampegs decline in quality and his change to Harkte amps.

So I've gone and brought the Hartke in the hope it will last longer than 9 months and some how magically makes me play like Bill Sheehan!

Ordered for next day delivery from GAK so should be here tomorrow so I'm feeling a lot better now.

I think I've been in a massive panic and fluster because in 9 months I've only got to gig with my Laney TWICE because of it breaking down.

Again thank you for all your help, I love you all!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1410428181' post='2549275']...
Again thank you for all your help, I love you all!
[/quote]

Hey, hey, steady on there, old chap..! Let's not go overboard on this..! :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :P[/size]

[size=4]Glad you've got something sorted. We've had a Hartke 3500 for years. Solid bit of kit, although I had to replace the power trannie once. Good choice. Have a good gig. [/size]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

Personally speaking : My Ampeg could not finish a gig without overheating and cutting out and I have heard of a few other people with issues with thge new far eastern products.

I would look second hand for an Amp not built in the far east.
IMO They use stretched wire and poor quality solder and workmanship is sweatshop bog standard.
An Italian Mark Bass head second hand would be my favoured choice.

Just an opinion but avoid anything far eastern, once they have your cash they could not give two stuffs if it stays working or not.