Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Barefaced Big One
£350

discreet

[b]*SOLD* Barefaced Big One[/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Very reluctant sale of my Barefaced Big One. It's a little beast. It has one fifteen-inch high-excursion neo driver and one six-and-a-half inch midrange unit in a typical thin-walled, heavily-braced Barefaced ply cab covered in TuffCab textured paint. There is a very sophisticated crossover unit in this cab that splits the sound between the two drivers. It has one Speakon input socket on the back and has various handles placed at strategic points for ease of haulage. It has plastic corner protectors and also has two small wheels at the back, a black steel grille and a very large port at the bottom.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This cab is all about bass. I was expecting some heft from it and a fair amount of low-end extension is indeed apparent, [/font][/color][i]but - [/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]it's very even in its delivery - there are no weird lumps or bumps in it. Plus, it's never muffled or muddy in any way - the depth is very usable, tight and solid. When I did add some bass EQ - more than I would ever use normally, in fact - the cab was unruffled and continued to provide a clear and endless vista of LOW which rattled loose objects all over the house. Impressive![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]At rehearsal, the word that kept popping into my head was 'authority'. It's the kind of punchy low/mid tone that not only hits you in the chest, it also hits you in the guts and the womb (if you have one). Having said this, the pitch of each note is never lost - the power is handled extremely well and there is always plenty of definition.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]But it's not [/font][/color][i]all [/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]about the lows... the mid-range unit is also a winner. Very smooth and silky and again, no unwanted peaks or unexpected aberrations in delivery. The top end seems to have lots of 'space' in it. I believe the two-way crossover is a bit special and more complex than that usually found in a bass cab. With my GK Fusion set flat and using my Hayman 4040, I got the uncoloured sound of the bass as it is - and yet it's a version that is huge, hefty, very present, well-defined and three-dimensional... this is how you like to [i]think[/i] you sound! There is a lot to be said for a cab that puts a huge grin on your face and keeps it there.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The response is extremely flat, and this actually takes a little bit of getting used to. It's telling that a Schroeder cab I had was 4ohms and the Big One is an 8ohm cab, yet there was no apparent difference in perceived volume between them, using the same amp, same gain and same EQ - I expected to have to give the Big One more beans, but no - I assume this has a lot to do with its sensitivity. It can easily be a one-cab solution if you ignore the 'must be 4ohms' mantra and listen with your ears instead of your eyes...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It is easy to see why this was at one time Barefaced's flagship bass cab. I have in the past borrowed a Super Twelve for a few months and that was a superb cab. This is also a superb cab. I know a sample size of two isn't much to go on, but I suspect that the whole range is at worst excellent and at best superlative. I haven't heard any of the Generation Three cabs yet, but if they are better than this then they must be really something. I'm guessing that they are just different; and if you're happy to stay at Generation One level (and there is a very good financial reason here so to do), then I think that any Barefaced cab of any generation that comes up for sale second hand must surely be carefully considered - in my opinion, Barefaced's discontinued cabs are better than most manufacturer's current offerings and used models must surely represent something of a bargain, to say the least. And where will you find another Big One? Fnarr. [/font][/color] :)

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]DIMENSIONS 29.5 x 21 x 16". WEIGHT 40lbs (18kg). RECOMMENDED AMP POWER 200-1000W RMS.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MAXIMUM OUTPUT Similar to a high quality 6x10 or 2x15. NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms.[/font][/color][/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Here is the blurb about the Big One that was originally on the Barefaced site:[/font][/color]

[size=3][b]Barefaced 'Big One'[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Massive bottom end, mid range punch, treble clarity and, for their weight, the loudest deepest bass cabs you can buy... [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'Is that another fifteen?' Why yes it is, a very special one. 'And what's that other speaker in there?' It's six and a half inches of punch, clarity, growl and sweetness. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'But it's just a big speaker and a little speaker, all in one box. I've seen cabs like that from other makers.'[/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The magic is inside the box - a full 2-way crossover, akin to that found in the very best studio monitors, which splits the sound between the two speakers, so each speaker can concentrate on doing what it does best. No other crossover found in a bass guitar cab has this complex topology, with very steep slopes so it is all but impossible to overpower the midrange driver, so that you get no interference between drivers either side of the crossover point, and so that you get the most accurate and realistic sound whether you're the bassist, a bandmate or a fan.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Big One - our flagship model. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The massive port may give away that there is something different about this classic looking cab. So what is going on behind that silver cloth grill? Well it's a very very special fifteen plus a tiny giant of a six and a half inch midrange driver. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Prepare for a tone, bottom and output revelation![/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Featuring a extremely high excursion neo woofers in an oversized ported enclosures gives the Big One the ability to move more air and give you a fatter high SPL bass sound than most cabs twice their size (and how many more times its weight?!) [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Because this woofer is so good at going low it is not good at going high - the rest of your sound comes from an extremely high output 6.5" midrange speaker which gives you more tone and volume than you can believe possible from such a small speaker - it can cut through even the densest rock mix. Not only that but because this speaker is small it disperses your midrange much better than if it were coming from a larger woofer. Stand anywhere in the room and you will hear almost exactly the same tone - no other bass cab can achieve this![/font][/color][/size]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Disclosure[/b] - the main reason I'm selling this at a bargain price is because there is a small cosmetic issue at one of the corners - this cab has been gigged, and I think at one time a rubber foot was knocked and this caused a very minor crack under it and to the edge of the outer case - and the plastic corner protector was also cracked slightly. I have fixed this with a screw through the bottom of the case (see pic). The corner protector could easily be replaced but I haven't bothered to do this - it wasn't an issue for me and this minor damage makes no difference whatsoever to the performance of the cab. I must also point out that this damage was present when I got the cab and was not caused by me. It has not affected the cab's performance in any way and can't be seen in normal use. The cab is still very robust. So join the Barefaced club at a big discount on your premiums! :)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The cab is located in SE London near the A205 South Circular. Easy to get to from the M25 if necessary. I don't have any packing for this cab and am reluctant to trust it to a courier. I may possibly be persuaded otherwise if it proves to be a deal-breaker. This is a very low price for a rare, high-quality cab which sounds amazing. It will do everything you ask of it. It's light, loud, precise and very portable, particularly given the excellent handle placement and back wheels. A breeze to fit into any car.[/font][/color]

[b]DIMENSIONS 29.5 x 21 x 16". WEIGHT 40lbs (18kg). RECOMMENDED AMP POWER 200-1000W RMS.
MAXIMUM OUTPUT Similar to a high quality 6x10 or 2x15. NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms.[/b]

A couple of Basschatters' reviews, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/59276-barefaced-big-one/"]here[/url].

Some Big One testimonials from Barefaced's site:

[size=3][color=#333333]----------------------------------[/color]

[color=#333333]On Saturday I took my LH1000 and BigOne to a gig. The other bands were going to use a huge Peavey 8x10 and some old head that i've never heard of. Now this venue was up two flights of stairs - i've no idea how they got it up there without a crane.[/color]

[color=#333333]Anyway, I turned up carrying my Big One by myself and I could see the other bassists looking at me and thinking 'ha, look at his tiny cab, he isn't gonna make much noise with that' The headline band sound checked and the peavey cab farted out a horrible muddy sound while I sat there quietly knowing what was coming.[/color]

[color=#333333]The band on after us isn't there yet so we sound checked next - my bass sound was warm and clear, it punched through the mix with ease and there was no distortion at gigging volume. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. After the sound check the bassist for the opening band comes up to me "hey, can I use your setup when I play" "sure thing" I reply. They are going to do a quick line check before they play. Now I get to hear what my rig sounds like from the other side. Ooh yeah - it sounds sweet! Our turn to play - the set goes really well and the crowd really enjoys it.[/color]

[color=#333333]As I start packing up my stuff the bassist from the next band comes up to me "scuse me mate" "yeah" I reply with a wry smile knowing exactly what he was about to say next "Is it ok if I use your rig?" " Yeah go for it" I say. The bassist for the headline band decides he's gonna be stubborn and stick to his fart machine. When the gig is over I chat with the other bassists and tell them all about barefaced and how awesome the cab is. They all agree how amazing it sounded. Then I tell them to pick it up, they are completely shocked at how light it is. It just shows you dont need a massive stack to sound really good. I think there may be some more converts coming your way Alex![/color]

[color=#333333]-----------------------------[/color]

[color=#333333]The Big One - my first pub gig with a Barefaced cabinet: [/color][color=#333333]I've sold three Eden cabs to make way for the Big One. For a smallish pub like this one I might previously have taken a D210XLT but more probably my Nemesis NSP115. [/color][color=#333333]There's no stage at the pub, and the set-up space for the band is really tiny.[/color]

[color=#333333]Musically it went really well. I placed the Big One right at the back, between the drummer & the keyboard player, and I stood directly in front of it. The sound was great - I could actually hear myself clearly without having to turn up so loud as to offend my lead guitarsehole. Alex's comments to me about the dispersion from the small speaker were spot-on ... you can hear yourself from anywhere on stage, and so can the rest of the band.[/color]

[color=#333333]I was playing a Lakland DD --> Aphex Xciter --> DHA VT2 --> Eden WTX-260 --> Big One. [/color][color=#333333]Friends in the audience told me afterwards that my sound was very bassy but still cut through the mix with ease. I suspect that much of the "bassiness" came from the Xciter. [/color][color=#333333]Also, I have flats on the DD and some foam rubber muting under the strings at the bridge, all of which makes me more "thuddy" anyway. (That Hofner influence isn't easy to lose!)[/color]

[color=#333333]The WTX-260 produces 260W at 4 Ohms. With an 8 Ohm cab like the Big One it claims to put out 180W. I kept both the Gain and the Volume knobs at about the 11:00 position and was easily able to hold my place with a loud drummer and a pair of guitarists playing through a big Marshall and an incredibly toppy Session. [/color][color=#333333]Stomp on the button on the VT2 to bring in another valve and the floor was shaking, but with absolutely no muddiness. I really can't wait until I can take this cab somewhere where I can open it up properly.[/color]

[color=#333333]The car ended up being parked 100 yards away. The keyboard player set off to carry the cab for me (no, I don't know why either) and was genuinely impressed when I showed him the whole damn thing was on wheels. He loved it. [/color][color=#333333]On a straight comparison, the Big One knocks both the NSP115 and the NSP210 into a cocked hat. The power, punch and clarity of the Big One means that it's simply playing in a higher league.[/color]

[color=#333333]I'd need more time and a wider range of venues before I could be so dismissive about the sound of the D210XLT, which is a bloody good cab, but already I suspect that the Big One will come out ahead. Add the useability issue into the equation (weight, shape, wheels, etc.) and it's a no-brainer.[/color]

[color=#333333]----------------------------------[/color]

[color=#333333]Okay, used the Big One & LH-1000 in anger last night & I can safely say that it is the best bass sound I've ever had, better even then the Peavey Mark IV & Sunn 2x15 I had 20 years ago. Everything was there in spades - bass, middle, treble and VOLUME. [/color][color=#333333]I had to roll off a bit of bass to stop the stage vibrating too much, but me sound cut through 2 guits & the drums like a very hot knife through some very soft butter. For the first time in Lord knows how long, the drummist was unable to complain about playing the fastest songs because he couldn't hear the bass. Hehe.[/color]

[color=#333333]I also couldn't believe how light the cab is - far lighter than the LH-1000 and fits perfectly in the boot of a Focus with room for the amp & rackbag. The one downside is the sensitivity of the cab when paired with such a powerful amp - I bridged it [so 750w into 8 ohms] and struggled to get it above 1 and a bit with PA support. Next time, I might just use one side of the dual-parallel amps [225w into 8 ohms].[/color]

[color=#333333]It will go louder than I can stand and was shaking too many things loose to get above 5 for long, suffice to say, one would never be short of volume with one of these. Unless the PA broke at Wembley. [/color][color=#333333]Recommended.[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#333333]And for all you 4 ohm purists out there - 8 is probably fine.[/color]

[color=#333333]----------------------------------[/color][/size]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What a great 'For Sale' post! I'm almost tempted to buy it myself! :lol:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I thank you! :)[/font][/color]

Edited by discreet

I am pretty sure this was mine once - the 'silver' bolt heads on midrange are the giveaway plus the slight grill mark bottom left. The corner 'ding' was not me, it will be an easy DIY fix with woodglue and some clamps.

[size=4]I only moved it on to get a Dubster (sort of more of the same tone). It[/size][size=4] was (is) a great bass cab, you will not be disappointed - serious trouser flap potential.[/size]

Edited by 3below

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1409512795' post='2540402']
DO NOT BUY A Barefaced off this man, buy mine. He wears budgie smugglers :lol:
[/quote]

Rubbish! I've never smuggled a budgie in my life! ...though I did hide a bird in a wardrobe once, but that's another story.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1409512139' post='2540386']
...a great bass cab, you will not be disappointed - serious trouser flap potential.
[/quote]
[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1409512795' post='2540402']
...he's a good bloke and it's a fabulous price.
[/quote]

Thank you very much, gentlemen... this is indeed a great opportunity to buy a serious cab at a risible price. :)

Edited by discreet

What a fantastic price for something that has put an end to my cab GAS (well, for now anyway! ;) ).

Just because these have been superceded does not in any way make them outdated or inferior. Best cab I have ever used, and for less than most second-hand G1 Compacts! :gas:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1409562409' post='2540798']
Rubbish! I've never smuggled a budgie in my life! ...though I did hide a bird in a wardrobe once, but that's another story.
[/quote]

Yes, she was very disappointed the current Mrs. discreet came home. :mellow:

[b]BUMP[/b]

It's at this point I usually BUMP for a PRICE DROP and the item sells quickly at a silly price.
If that's what you're waiting for, it ain't gonna happen Bub - so if you want this you better get in quick - if it doesn't sell at this price, I'm keeping it! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1409650701' post='2541784']
[b]BUMP[/b]

It's at this point I usually BUMP for a PRICE DROP and the item sells quickly at a silly price.
If that's what you're waiting for, it ain't gonna happen Bub - so if you want this you better get in quick - if it doesn't sell at this price, I'm keeping it! :D
[/quote]

Two years ago Mark, this would have been sold before you had finished typing the advert :lol:

Somebody is getting a serious bargain at that price, like you say keep it. Any BF is damn good but also expensive new. Second hand they are boutique bargains.

Have a "top bloke, buy with confidence" type of bump Mark!

I was the previous guardian of this cab - the corner split was there when i bought it and never caused me a problem or spread as far as i could see and i consequently never felt the need to fix it. Its a great cab - light and powerful and a bargain at this price.