Why become a member? ×

Finally have our debut gig! Any tips!

Sarah5string

Woo! Our band has finally agreed and got our debut gig! 3 out of 5 of us have NEVER gigged before, whereas the other 2 have plenty of experience so are up for anything and know what they're doing. We're doing 2 originals and 5 covers. 2nd band on in a 4 band bill on the 30th August at the varsity in Wolverhampton. We've sorted out our setlist and are starting and finishing with our own tracks and padding out with the covers.
Do any of you seasoned pros have any tips for a gig newbie? Personally I can't wait, I'm really excited, especially as it's a saturday night and usually people would have to work up to playing a saturday, especially new bands like us!!!
wooooo!
Any hints and tips are greatly welcomed!

Be friendly to anyone/everyone you meet at the venue
Don't get drunk
Go to the loo before playing
Take a bottle of water
Take a towel/rag
Keep your hands busy/warm before playing
Take (and use) an RCD circuit breaker
Put your rig near a rear wall (or even better a corner)
Enjoy it

Then remind me of all the other things I should have mentioned afterwards :)

hi Sarah,

An RCD circuit breaker basically stops and protects electricity spikes reaching equipment (including you the bass player)

It trips when there's a spike in the power and cuts the supply

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Adaptor-Safety-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B000QIHU2M"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Adaptor-Safet...r/dp/B000QIHU2M[/url]

Ear plugs (good ones)
Sunglasses (not to look cool - you may be surprised by how bright those spotlights are)
Chewing gum (avoid dry-mouth syndrome)
Tuner (clip-on can be better than plug-in for gigs)
Spare strap (you might be surprised)
Spare lead (they let you down depressingly often)
Spare battery (if your bass is active)
Multi-tool (i.e. screwdrivers / pliers / etc.)
Nail clippers (you just KNOW you're going to forget to trim them)

On-stage ... above all, look like you're enjoying yourself, especially if you are!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='249148' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:35 PM']I'll be taking 2 basses... do you think I'll need to take my own stand?[/quote]
Yes. One for each bass. Enjoy it, and remember - you're only doing it for the kids!

Edited by johnnylager

As well as the tips already mentioned:

Offer to buy the sound engineer a drink nice and early - its amazing how helpful they can be if they are so minded

If you fluff a line, don't beat yourself up - probably noone else noticed but you so just keep playing and keep smiling

I always find it well sweaty on stage so a towel at the back of the stage or a towelling wristband are useful

Good luck and enjoy! Clarky

Enjoy it!

Enjoy it!

Enjoy it!

+ all of the above

If you're going to be going through a PA, expect to be DI'ed stright from your bass. If "Your Sound" needs pedals / amp tone / something else, find out who the sound engineer is NOW and get in touch with them asap.

Oh and enjoy it!

You will almost certainly make mistakes, we all do, but don't worry about them. Your main worry on the night might be that you'll forget the songs, arrangements, notes, blah, but you WILL remember. I would make the first song one you are all most comfortable with.

Don't have a band rehearsal the day of the gig.

Agree a set list before hand and [u]print [/u]them using large type, preferably times roman bold. Don't hand write them. Make everything easy for your self by being organised, then you can concentrate on playing the songs.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a stiff drink if you're nervous but don't overdo it.

One thing I will say is that it's possible/probable your sound check monitor levels will will have changed when you go out to perform. Try not to worry about it until your first song's over, then try to get the sound guy to sort it, with minimal hand signals. BUT the singer's the priority so let them get their monitoring right before you try to.

Like the other posts have said, enjoy it, have a laugh and don't pressure yourself!

Hope it goes really well.

Yep - all of the above and you should be the best judge of whether you need a drink.

All I can add is what I said before - try and check the venue out when other bands are playing there, so you know how big the stage is, what the punters are like and whether the sound man is a twat.

Don't freak out onstage when you realise you can't hear anything: yourself or the rest of the band. Just listen out for the snare drum/hi-hat and the lead vocalist.

Don't be afraid to quickly, firmly and politely ask for more or less of whatever you need in the monitors after the first song on the night if the sound's all horrible. Chances are it'll be the cheap monitors and the sound engineer won't be able to do much to fix it - but it's worth piping up if there's a problem with levels.

[quote name='The Funk' post='249209' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:53 PM']Don't freak out onstage when you realise you can't hear anything: yourself or the rest of the band. Just listen out for the snare drum/hi-hat and the lead vocalist.

Don't be afraid to quickly, firmly and politely ask for more or less of whatever you need in the monitors after the first song on the night if the sound's all horrible. Chances are it'll be the cheap monitors and the sound engineer won't be able to do much to fix it - but it's worth piping up if there's a problem with levels.[/quote]
What do you mean can't hear anything. :)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='249213' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:55 PM']What do you mean can't hear anything. :)[/quote]

When I started gigging I was amazed by just how appallingly bad the sound was onstage. Every gig - no matter where it is - I'm still just as amazed by how sh*t the sound always is onstage. You learn to adapt to it and listen out for the things you need to hear to stay in time/in tune/in the right part of the song.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='249211' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:54 PM']Thanks guys.. knew I could rely on you.. any tips for the band practices leading up to the gig?[/quote]

practice the set you're going to play, in the way you intend to play it is what i'd say...

if you usually face inward in a circle when you practise, set up the room as if you're facing an audience...it's surprising how much you take cues from other band members without realising it...

make sure all your stuff works too...now might be the time to replace that crackly lead or duff pot.