Why become a member? ×

Sheema Mukherjee Debut Album - Reviews, Video and stuff ..

xilddx

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1410702174' post='2552062']
I'm with Zappa: 'Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read.'
[/quote]

Indeed mate :D

And “Music journalists like Elvis Costello because music journalists look like Elvis Costello.” David Lee Roth

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1410695237' post='2551986']
Well, apparently some of the music press can't handle vinyl.

[color=#37404E][font=Helvetica, Arial,]"The guy doing PR for Sheema’s album is reporting back a stubborn apathy from sections of the music press who refused to listen to the album as it’s 'vinyl only' and couldn’t be bothered to go to a digital link or put the USB stick in their computer to transfer the high res files."[/font][/color]

The album is on very high quality vinyl, with a gatefold sleeve and lovely packaging. [font=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][color=#37404e]it comes with a tiny flip out USB stick that looks like a tiny album (I love that!) It contains WAVs of the album tracks.[/color][/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][color=#37404e][/color][/font]
[/quote]

What a brilliant idea! Is this unique or am I behind the times again?

I love the idea of some decently sized artwork as well as getting the wav files. I can't actually read a lot of the reduced-sized text on some CDs these days without a magnifying glass!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1410703633' post='2552085']
What a brilliant idea! Is this unique or am I behind the times again?

I love the idea of some decently sized artwork as well as getting the wav files. I can't actually read a lot of the reduced-sized text on some CDs these days without a magnifying glass!
[/quote]

It's the first time I've seen it too mate.

I love the whole package.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][color=#000000]Another nice review in the FT :)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia,][b] Sheema Mukherjee: Sheema – review[/b]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]By David Honigmann[/size][/font][/font]

[font=Georgia,][size=5]The sitarist’s songwriting mixes childhood memories with everything from classical raags to ska[/size]

[size=7]T[/size]his is a vinyl-only release (a minute USB copy is hidden away in the gatefold) for the debut album from Transglobal Underground and Imagined Village sitarist.
Mukherjee’s sitar playing takes a well-deserved centre stage, and her songwriting mixes childhood memories with everything from classical raags to ska.
Covers of Radiohead’s “Street Spirit” and Francoise Hardy’s “L’Amité”, drenched in strings, find their home here perfectly naturally.
[/font]

Edited by xilddx

I can't honestly say I'm a big fan of vinyl, mainly because of all the faffing around to play it and keep it clean and noise-free, so my record deck is safely stored away in the attic - but so are my CD players because I only stream music from my MP3 library these days (which, incidentally, includes ripped versions of all my old vinyl).

But I do miss the whole packaging experience that went along with vinyl albums so given the choice of a vinyl + wav release or buying a CD and ripping it then I'd buy the vinyl every time.

I think it's a great idea and I really hope it catches on more widely - especially if it can make inroads into the apparent trend of buying downloads only!

Mind you, I can't find the album on Amazon to buy . . . .

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1410858896' post='2553851']
I can't honestly say I'm a big fan of vinyl, mainly because of all the faffing around to play it and keep it clean and noise-free, so my record deck is safely stored away in the attic - but so are my CD players because I only stream music from my MP3 library these days (which, incidentally, includes ripped versions of all my old vinyl).

But I do miss the whole packaging experience that went along with vinyl albums so given the choice of a vinyl + wav release or buying a CD and ripping it then I'd buy the vinyl every time.

I think it's a great idea and I really hope it catches on more widely - especially if it can make inroads into the apparent trend of buying downloads only!

Mind you, I can't find the album on Amazon to buy . . . .
[/quote]

Agree with all this :)

It's not on Amazon or iTunes and that was also a deliberate decision by the record company's owner.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1410859959' post='2553862']
iTunes I can understand, but why not Amazon?

So it the ECC website the only place to buy it (and any chance of a signed copy ;) )?
[/quote]

Lush, who own the record company, position themselves as ethically as possible, and also wish to try to bring back the magic of music listening. They are a new label though so things will evolve I dare say.

[i]"Taking inspiration from the golden age of music in Britain, ECC100 releases vinyl records of the finest quality.[/i]

[i]Hearkening back to a time when albums were eagerly anticipated, rushed straight home to the record player and listened to in one delicious sitting. A time when each and every element of the music, art, sleeve notes and lyrics were dissected, digested, discussed and enjoyed.[/i]
[i]ECC100 seeks out exceptional new original music, explores the quirky and eclectic and celebrates the back catalogues of artists that we have loved for many years.[/i]

[i]The artwork and notes surrounding ECC100 records are an extension of the music curated with respect for the compositions. The companion USB cards contain the highest quality sound files and additional media to enhance the listening experience.[/i]

[i]In a world full of throwaway digital downloads and slews of singles ECC100 puts out albums designed to allow music fans to stop, sit and listen to the music, in all its glory, just as the artists intended."[/i]

Will see what I can do regarding a signed copy :)

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1410860400' post='2553874']
Not my normal cup o' tea, but I really, really enjoyed that Nigel! Nice work and what a great gig to get - on you "2nd" instrument, as well! Best of luck with it.

I was rather shocked to discover that you look nothing at all like your avatar, though... :lol:
[/quote]

Thanks Simon :D

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1409158937' post='2536966']
This is lovely, Nigel. And available on vinyl too!! I'm gonna order a copy. :)

Funnilly enough I saw a sitar player at a local gig this weekend. He was accompanied by a guy on 6 string bass. It was magical! I was thinking of starting a thread to see if anyone had any recommendations for sitar/Indian/fusion type music. But spookily enough, here was your thread just when I needed it, lol :D
[/quote]

Try "Indo Jazz Fusion" by John Mayer and Joe Harriot for a take from the 60s and Bada Boom by Ranjit Barot for more modern fusion.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1410870078' post='2554054']
Try "Indo Jazz Fusion" by John Mayer and Joe Harriot for a take from the 60s and Bada Boom by Ranjit Barot for more modern fusion.
[/quote]

Thanks for those, I'll check em out too.

I listened to Shakti but was not really into it. I thought it was a bit cheesy, a John McLaughlin pseudo-spiritual vanity project.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're interested, Sheema is playing live on Radio 3 tomorrow at 7.30pm for the posthumous world premier of Sir John Taverner's Flood of Beauty.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jj824"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b04jj824[/url]

[b]Celebrating John Tavener - Flood of Beauty[/b]

[right]Duration: 2 hours, 30 minutes First broadcast: Sunday 28 September 2014[/right]

[color=#262626][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Live from the Barbican Hall[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#262626][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Celebrating the remarkable legacy of Sir John Tavener in what would have been his 70th birthday year, the Britten Sinfonia gives the world premiere of Flood of Beauty, a setting of a Sanskrit poem, and his last major concert work.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#262626][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]John Tavener: Flood of Beauty (world premiere)
Allison Bell (soprano)
Marcus Farnsworth (baritone)
Natalie Clein (cello)
Sheema Mukherjee (sitar)
Kuljit Bhamra (tabla)
Britten Sinfonia Voices
Eamonn Dougan (Britten Sinfonia Voices Director)
New London Chamber Choir
conductor Martyn Brabbins[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#262626][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Based on a Sanskrit poem by the 9th-century philosopher and poet Sankara, the piece is an attempt to show the rapture and bliss of the Divine Being through Hinduism - following Tavener's many revered musical journeys through Christianity, Islam and Judaism.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#262626][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Flood of Beauty was devised by the late composer to be performed with the instruments of a normal symphony orchestra, but all spaced around the auditorium - with Indian classical instruments tabla and sitar completing the ensemble.[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by xilddx

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1411813464' post='2562993']
Great stuff Nigel - I'm pleased that you've landed in a fulfilling and challenging project - I'm looking forward to hearing the album.
[/quote]

Thanks mate! Looking forward to getting your new EP soon! I love what I've heard of it.

Just found out Sheema's album is Featured Album of the Month on Folk Radio UK! There's a lovely long review of it by them here http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2014/10/sheema-mukherjee-sheema/

Fab!