Why become a member? ×

Sterling/Stingray electronics What's the difference?!

timmchale2009

As far as I'm aware, the pickup is the big difference as it is ceramic on a Sterling and alnico on a Stingray. That makes a huge difference to the tone, the Sterling's sound a bit harder to my ear.

A preamp bypass could be nice, I like MM basses in passive mode

EDIT: I see Pete has arrived as I was writing my post - there lies your answers! :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

The US Sterling also has single coil and series/parallel switching. The Stingray has Alnico pick up/pick ups (the SR5 from circa 1992-2008 has ceramic with the same switching as the sterling - which started in 1994 IIRC).

If you're talking about the sub SBMM then not sure what fits as the dimensions are slightly different from a Stingray but there are several aftermarket pick ups and EQs available. The regular SBMM has electronics much more comparable with the US version. They mostly have cheaper hardware etc (the tuners being a major difference).

Ok I've bought a Sterling SB14 the Sterling
Model. Basically I get that the electronics and hardware won't be of US standard but I was toying with the Idea of upgrading preamp and pickup (bartolini, bass lines etc) just to get the most as possible out of the bass. As it's a sterling format rather than stingray I would be seeking out recommendations to make it a real MM killer on a budget basically

I have just put a John East preamp and Delano Alnico pickup in my Sterling Sterling, it has totally transformed the bass, lots of growl and bite that was lacking from all of my previous Stingrays .....highly recommended it cost me £200 (the pickup was second hand off this fine site)

If the OP is ever in the Northampton area you are welcome to come and give it a blast, I promise you will be impressed

Edited by Roger2611

John is the man, such a clever bloke, have you seen his circuit that fits in a p bass with no need for a battery and charges through the jack socket, simple yet genius! Did you go one or two band Roger, I have the 2 eq in my classic as it was missing something with the ebmm one or maybe even a faulty preamp as I got it in a trade.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408823833' post='2533886']
John is the man, such a clever bloke, have you seen his circuit that fits in a p bass with no need for a battery and charges through the jack socket, simple yet genius! Did you go one or two band Roger, I have the 2 eq in my classic as it was missing something with the ebmm one or maybe even a faulty preamp as I got it in a trade.
[/quote]

3 band with the swept mid eq