Why become a member? ×

Buffalo Soldier notation anyone & Reggae advice.

stingrayPete1977

I have a sort of audition in 2 weeks, first one in 20 years as I have always been asked if I will play for bands rather than be auditioned B). I know quite a bit of the set, certainly enough for the one hour session booked but they have requested a reggae number if I have time to learn one as the last bassist could not cut them, truth is I have not gone down that path much really, Buffalo Soldier and Three little birds are in the set list sent over so I thought I should nail at least one if not both, fail to prepare and prepare to fail and all that, although my playing skills have got me the call they want to make sure I am not a cock more than anything so that could be a problem :D

I have jammed along to the track and found bits of notation which tidied it up but I would like the whole track in fly sh*t if anyone has it? or 3 little birds.

Any general Reggae tips that will help when blagging reggae would be useful too?, Thanks :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I have on a couple of occasions been in dep situations where some reggae has cropped up. Tracks that I had heard over the years but never played. I got by reasonably well, without annoying the band or audience, by just keeping it sparse, a few well chosen roots and runs and plenty of space. :)

If you PM me your email I can probably scan the dots and email. Good tip - tone mostly or all off to taste, play close to neck for fatter tone, neck pick up if more than one and you could also try playing with your thumb to see if that works best. Buffalo Soldier is a good fun song to play, Three little birds is a doddle too :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1408686971' post='2532463']
I got by reasonably well [...] by just keeping it sparse, a few well chosen roots and runs and plenty of space. :)
[/quote]

Indeed. I once jammed with a guy who'd been rhythm guitar in an incarnation of Toots and The Maytals. After about a minute he stopped me and said:

'Look, just play about 10 per cent of what you're playing now. It'll be fine.'

He was right and it was. Good luck with the audition. :)