Why become a member? ×

Shops on eBay selling stuff they don't have !

ambient

How can you possibly advertise something you don't have in stock ?

I bought some Dunlop Super bright strings a couple of weeks ago. I got them from Bass direct, I wanted a 6 string set, but they didn't have one, the guys at Bass direct did their best to track down a high C for me, but the UK distributor wasn't aware that they made a 6 string set.

So I bought two 5 string sets, taking advantage of the rather good 2 for 1 deal that Bass direct were doing at the time.

I found a German dealer selling the 6 string sets on eBay, so I ordered a set. I don't find that the C needs changing too often, so I only change it maybe every other string change.

Two weeks later they still haven't arrived, so I emailed them. This is the reply I received this morning -[color=#0000ff] [/color]

[color=#0000ff][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]'Hi, I'm really sorry, we didn't ship the strings, yet. I just called our Dunlop distributor and they shifted the delivery date. I'm really sorry for the trouble and the lack of information. We'll receive the next delivery of these strings on 18.09. If you want to wait until then, we'll give you 5,00 € discount on your order, if you don't want to wait we'll cancel and refund your order immediately. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. Thank you for your patience and best wishes![/size][/font][/color]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]How can you advertise something that you haven't physically got in stock, they're still advertising them now ![/size][/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"]This is the 2nd time this year something like this has happened, I ordered a book from someone on there, it didn't arrive so I emailed only to be told the same thing.[/size][/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"] :([/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1407233044' post='2518508']
What's really ticking me off is sellers who are actually in china pretending to be shipping from within the uk
[/quote]

You get a similar thing on Amazon too, sellers calling themselves 'CDBargain UK' or something, are either in China or the USA.

They're still advertising the stings here, even though they won't have them for another 7 or 8 weeks !

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221489531217?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221489531217?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1407233472' post='2518516']
I don't think there's anything wrong with advertising products you don't have in stock. However, it should be made clear to you within a reasonable time from ordering
[/quote]

I guess a reasonable time maybe ok, but not telling me they still haven't got them 2 weeks after ordering, and they're not getting them for another 7 or 8 weeks is wrong.

Surely the only thing that matters is if the goods arrive in good time? I can't see anything wrong with 'drop-shipping' direct from the original supplier.

Indeed, one could ask what is the point of an online retailer taking delivery of something so they can then open it up, check it, put it on their shelf, then re-package it and send it to an online customer.

Stock is only important if someone wants to go to a physical shop and look at the physical item.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1407234309' post='2518526']
Surely the only thing that matters is if the goods arrive in good time? I can't see anything wrong with 'drop-shipping' direct from the original supplier.

Indeed, one could ask what is the point of an online retailer taking delivery of something so they can then open it up, check it, put it on their shelf, then re-package it and send it to an online customer.

Stock is only important if someone wants to go to a physical shop and look at the physical item.
[/quote]

Is 10 weeks good time ?

That's what it will have been if I keep my order with them :) .

8 weeks if you order today from them.

Plus they should say. If you see something on Thomann's website, it says "goods in stock ready to ship", or "can be ordered and despatched within...."

Sorry, but I'm really annoyed that I've had to chase them about the order, only to be told they don't have them, and won't have them until the middle of September.

No need to apologise for being annoyed, 10 weeks is appalling and should have been made clear when you placed the order, or at the very least by the next day.

But I think that's a slightly different issue than online shops advertising stuff they don't have in their own physical stock.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1407233472' post='2518516']
I don't think there's anything wrong with advertising products you don't have in stock. However, it should be made clear to you within a reasonable time from ordering
[/quote]

A buyer or potential buyer should always be told when a product isn't in stock, IMO. If a company ran out of stock on a Monday afternoon, and got it back in on a Tuesday morning, that's fine, but having a delay of more than a couple of days just isn't acceptable, IMO. The whole point of internet shopping is convenience. A delay of days or weeks when you need something is less convenient than actually going into a shop and buying something.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1407233472' post='2518516'] I don't think there's anything wrong with advertising products you don't have in stock. However, it should be made clear to you within a reasonable time from ordering [/quote]

This.

Looking at the listing it will say "dispatched within x days". To not even have the item in stock is bad enough, to not even tell you at the point of sale is worse. And to not even hear a word from them until you chase them really takes the biscuit. I'd be cancelling straight away!

They are definitely misleading the buyers

Delivery:

Estimated between [b]Fri. 8 Aug. and Mon. 11 Aug. [/b]Seller ships within 1 day after [url="http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/contextual/domestic-handling-time.html"]receiving cleared [/url]

This is very much suggesting that they would have it in stock or get it within a day to dispatch. That would therefore lead me to buy from them where if I knew the reality I wouldn't buy from them and I would buy elsewhere. False claims are not good....

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1407242506' post='2518662']
They are definitely misleading the buyers

Delivery:

Estimated between [b]Fri. 8 Aug. and Mon. 11 Aug. [/b]Seller ships within 1 day after [url="http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/contextual/domestic-handling-time.html"]receiving cleared [/url]

This is very much suggesting that they would have it in stock or get it within a day to dispatch. That would therefore lead me to buy from them where if I knew the reality I wouldn't buy from them and I would buy elsewhere. False claims are not good....
[/quote]

That's why I ordered them, I was expecting them to be delivered last week, and was surprised when they didn't turn up.

I gave it until yesterday then contacted them only to be told they weren't in stock.

Very annoying all round really.

eBay sellers do this to avoid having to pay a listing fee twice. You will often see sellers raising the price of an item to something ridiculous, say £1000 for a guitar pick, so no-one will buy but the listing can stay live. Then, reduce back down when it is back in stock.

It is against eBay rules, so report them.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1407233256' post='2518510']
You get a similar thing on Amazon too, sellers calling themselves 'CDBargain UK' or something, are either in China or the USA.

They're still advertising the [u][i]stings[/i][/u] here[/quote]

Brilliant freudian slip there!