Why become a member? ×

Do You Really Know What Your Looking For In a Band? (Auditioning)

blue

I think a lot of guys go out and audition for bands before they have really defined what they are looking for in a band experience.

Some of us are looking for creativity where there is a lot of recording, writing and creative collaboration, some of us are looking at specific genres and some are looking consistent bookings and $$.

Whatever it is, define and stream line your search and find the opportunity that meets your needs and requirements as an artist. It might mean you will have to start your own project.

Comments

Blue

Edited by blue

Good call.

Back in my day, my priority was personal and musical chemistry. That meant that whilst the first impression was extremely important, the next few weeks of playing and hanging out were equally important to seeing if we all connected as a unit.

If my priority had to take second place, I just looked for a meal ticket where I at least enjoyed the grooves or people, though in some bands not necessarily both occurred together I might add.

About 5 years ago I joined a band because they had 2 cds out and a ton of butt kicking hard rocking original material. They also had an awesome front person and cool marketing presence.

I had to audition 3 times and finally made the cut and I was offered the job.

I didn't really think this one out and accepted the offer. My thing is gigging/live performance and making $$. I forgot about this because I was so taken by the material. I thought, these guys can't miss.

After a few months a realized I had joined a basement rehearsal band that didn't have any gigs or a plan or desire to get them. The gigs they did have were no pay shows. The band broke up after all members refused to play a charity no pay gig.

Live and learn.

[size=4][font=Arial]Blue[/font][/size]

Edited by blue

I know exactly what I want.

I want to be in a 3 piece with a couple of friends, both of whom are very talented and fun to be around. I want to play the side man and support the singer/guitarist and do everything I can to make him sound and look good. I want to play a few times a year to a minimum of 300 people.

I know exactly what I want in players and I don't try and fit square pegs into round holes.
Musical chemistry is easier to achieve, it is the band chemistry that is harder.
When we lost a drummer, we found we had to loose the gtr when new drummer came in.
The result is the band has stepped up a notch but lost some consistancy...
The trade-off is our highs are higher, but less forthcoming, ..so we are probably
a weaker albeit far more capable band, on the whole..

I think a lot of bands are just a group of mates...and that is also the worst position to pick from...
altho it depends what you want to do or are hoping to achieve..

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1407098775' post='2517367']
I know exactly what I want.

I want to be in a 3 piece with a couple of friends, both of whom are very talented and fun to be around. I want to play the side man and support the singer/guitarist and do everything I can to make him sound and look good. I want to play a few times a year to a minimum of 300 people.
[/quote]

Interesting, I just realized how I have had to compromise. I am never able to play the music I really like. If I did I would never gig or earn any money at all from playing.

Blue

Playing music I like with people I can get along with is the main thing. I'd add that the band has to at least do something, be it record or certainly play live but that is basically it for me. I'm not massively driven by finances or a quest for fame. I think I've succeeded in that in 25yrs of playing I've always done what I set out to do, albeit with any desire for it to be a main source of income long gone.

For me in virtually all instances it`s gigging, I`m not going to join any band that doesn`t want to gig. Then I`m looking for people whose musical abilities are good, and who I like/get on with. Plus, people who have their own gear and own transport. That`s the positives. I`ll also look for things that I don`t like, and if necessary make the call based on those. I turned down a band purely based on the drive to rehearsals as it was about 45mins/an hour, and whilst I was fine for that in summer, I knew I`d bail in winter, so thought best to not string them along.

I'm one of those guys that has to be in a band, a working band.

I have a buddy, great rock guitarist but he doesn't have to be in a band and he hasn't been. He hasn't gigged in over 3 years. That would be like being in hell for me.

Keep in mind he has a huge boat on the marina, a girl friend and runs his own business.

Blue

I'm with you, Blue. Must be in a gigging band. It has to pay, because I have few other ways of keeping bread on the table.
But I do enjoy it. I too am getting on a bit, 61, but there's no stopping now.
Bad shoulders, back, and eyes have all been repaired to keep me going!
My main band for nearly 8 years stops at Christmas, so I've changed direction to an acoustic covers trio. The new bit for me is it's MY band. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out!

I'd like a collaborative approach to songwriting - someone comes in with an initial idea, we all flesh it out with our own expertise. I prefer to be in a band with people who aren't dicks/people I'd like to have a pint with. Band members to be reasonably proficient in their chosen instrument. Band members not shy of helping out with the setting up/breaking down of equipment.

I have all of these things in one of my bands, and the vast majority of these things in the other one (only missing the first one - it's very much sidemen tacked onto a singer/guitarist songwriting duo, and I feel it's changing a little in the direction I'd like). I'm doing pretty good.

I'm going for the session player route and pick up and drop bands and projects really quickly, I'm after that perfect balance of all 3, aspects. Creation, Playing, and £'s. I have Blues trio which allows me my creation and playing with 2 exceptional musicians, the money is slow and small with that project currently but we are building everything up nice and slow, the other guys are all in other bands and projects as well, I've just applied to work with an originals band who have just about cut their first CD and have also applied to work with a singer-songwriter who is looking to begin touring and I'm looking to find my perfect function/covers band to guarantee the money.

I think I do now but it has taken a lot of projects with all sorts of people of varying degrees of delusions of grandeur and abilities to get here. As it happens I discount my current band as I never auditioned for them, just turned up to a paid gig with crossed fingers and having learned their set list. I still wonder if I had auditioned and been offered it would i have actually taken the job on!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1407148356' post='2517696']
I'm with you, Blue. Must be in a gigging band. It has to pay, because I have few other ways of keeping bread on the table.
But I do enjoy it. I too am getting on a bit, 61, but there's no stopping now.
Bad shoulders, back, and eyes have all been repaired to keep me going!
My main band for nearly 8 years stops at Christmas, so I've changed direction to an acoustic covers trio. The new bit for me is it's MY band. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out!
[/quote]

I got lucky 3 years ago. I won a spot as a member of a a female lead guitarist fronted 70s style hard rock/ blues band with decent and consistant biker bar business. I'm still with them. These type of gigging band opportunities are not easy to find in my area.

If your in this for the joy of gigging as much as the money I think you have to ask the prospective band a few hard hitting questions;
[list]
[*]You don't have your schedule on line, how many bookings do you have over the next 6 months
[*]How many paid gigs did the band play last year
[*]Is in an equal split
[*]Is there a band fund I would have to contribute to
[*]What is the bands standard fee
[*]How many unpaid gigs did you play last year
[/list]
All reasonable questions to ask if a band is serious about bringing you on board.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1407192337' post='2518322']
I got lucky 3 years ago. I won a spot as a member of a a female lead guitarist fronted 70s style hard rock/ blues band with decent and consistant biker bar business. I'm still with them. These type of gigging band opportunities are not easy to find in my area.

If your in this for the joy of gigging as much as the money I think you have to ask the prospective band a few hard hitting questions;
[list]
[*]You don't have your schedule on line, how many bookings do you have over the next 6 months
[*]How many paid gigs did the band play last year
[*]Is in an equal split
[*]Is there a band fund I would have to contribute to
[*]What is the bands standard fee
[*]How many unpaid gigs did you play last year
[/list]
All reasonable questions to ask if a band is serious about bringing you on board.

Blue
[/quote]

And this is why you need to keep the money as flowing as possible.
Around here, the standard has kind of compacted in that a 3 piece blues band
can get the same money as a larger band. It is not so simple to say one deserves
more than another but you have to pay to try and get the best guys.
You'll have polished 'CV's' after that £150 per man gig ( in itself that CV might not mean a thing )
and you'll have guys wanting rehearsal and travel exes so I see a band kitty as an absolute must.

And therefore, along with other exes from the kitty, you all almost into 'wage' territory.
Good guys don't come cheap...or else there is normally another very good reason.

I don't think an equal split is going to be that equal.... and I would wonder why anyone would insist on it
..altho I get that deps can chance their arm and ask for more.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407226792' post='2518432'] I don't think an equal split is going to be that equal.... and I would wonder why anyone would insist on it..altho I get that deps can chance their arm and ask for more.
[/quote]

What do you think of this?

If your a 4 peice at that $400.00-$500.00 threshold it's not enough money to quibble over so an equal split seems best to me.If your talking larger margins than I can see why a band would use other arangements for pay.

Blue

Edited by blue

Because our min cost to the band is £270 and that is 5x50 plus 20 P.A costs.
One or two pubs don't quite pay that but they are somethings we wish to do, so we
are running those gigs at a loss.
Then we have petrol costs that we need to factor in occasionally so we never really can get around to
an equal split. We tend to treat it more like a wage...