Why become a member? ×

Peavey Cirrus 6 bass made in the USA

Born 2B Mild

I'm researching six strings. One that comes up highly rated in reviews is the Peavey Cirrus 6, made in the USA.

I would appreciate it if anyone can give me a 'street value' for buying a used one, simply so I can see if it fits my budget.

Nice looking bass but very little info out there apart from £720 new...try this guy and see if its still for sale.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEAVEY-CIRRUS-6-String-Bass-USA_W0QQitemZ330253420328QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Peavey[/url]

If it is the Cirrus USA model then the last one I played was a 5-string with a tigers' eye top. It was definitely handbuilt and retailed at about £1500. 35" scale, very straight and rigid neck, great B-string, lovely tone (and lots of variety), and the build quality seemed similar to a US Lakland or Sadowsky. The standard US Cirrus 6-string seems to retail at $2500 on Peavey's website so I doubt very much they'll be £720 new...

[quote name='Prosebass' post='246558' date='Jul 24 2008, 01:02 AM']Nice looking bass but very little info out there apart from £720 new...try this guy and see if its still for sale.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEAVEY-CIRRUS-6-String-Bass-USA_W0QQitemZ330253420328QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Peavey[/url][/quote]
That is a redwood US Cirrus - again MSRP is $2500 on Peavey's site so about £600-700 s/h seems a good price. Also note that the body has a gloss finish but the neck is some kind of matt rubbed oil finish (like a Stingray) - there is an obvious line where the body morphs into the neck between the two finishes which imho doesn't look very nice. Protects the body and makes the neck feel fast though...
The Cirrus BXP (the cheap model) is only available in 4- and 5-strings so this 6 is defo the US handbuilt model.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='246393' date='Jul 23 2008, 08:32 PM']I'm researching six strings. One that comes up highly rated in reviews is the Peavey Cirrus 6, made in the USA.

I would appreciate it if anyone can give me a 'street value' for buying a used one, simply so I can see if it fits my budget.[/quote]
I have one, Redwood body, pau ferro board, great thru neck, immac condition £760 up for sale ? If interested i post you some piccies.

Jem

[quote name='tempo' post='276625' date='Sep 3 2008, 11:55 PM']too much thinking and not enough playing does that[/quote]
well unfortunatly, thats the opinion i have, id love to play one if i had the chance so i could see for myself, but i know nobody who has one and no guitar shops local to me stock them, so 'thinking' is all iv got to go on

I use a USA Cirrus V and think it is superb, do not confuse these with their Far East BXP namesakes.

Unfortunately because of the Peavey name people do dismiss them and their resale value plummets but people are missing a trick here, it did me a favour, when I bought mine second hand a couple of years ago I got it at a great price, at the prices these go for second hand you will not buy anything better imho.

I dont know about 6 string but a used 5 will be around £550 - £600, and a USA Cirrus should come with a hard case.

Dave

[quote name='BassManKev' post='276687' date='Sep 4 2008, 08:14 AM']well unfortunatly, thats the opinion i have, id love to play one if i had the chance so i could see for myself, but i know nobody who has one and no guitar shops local to me stock them, so 'thinking' is all iv got to go on[/quote]
For 'thinking', read 'jumping to conclusions' :)