Why become a member? ×

A realisation; Possibly even an epiphany

MiltyG565

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1404643143' post='2494330']
I remember a thread from some time ago regarding simple basslines and somebody posted Gene Chandler's 'Does She Have a Friend?' which features all of 3 notes, no fills, no runs, so slides, just locks in with the drums 4/4 throughout the whole song. It's great!

http://youtu.be/2xwL-7fKKUE
[/quote]

Haven't heard this for years - I'd forgotten how good it is!

Thanks for posting, will have to dig out my old copy :)

It's all about developing your own voice as a bassist and being in a situation where your voice is accepted and where it creates synergistic vibes with the music and other musicians. Most bassists are nowhere near that level, and the ones who have achieved it are not even noticed by most other bassists.

whilst stumbling around youtube this evening i just found this and i thought i would post it for mister milty's delight and delectation of a rather smashing example of simple stuff being played in the most exquisitiely expressive manner

sorry its not bass .... again ... but it is paul jackson jr :)

[media]http://youtu.be/qYbRu8GjCUA[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/hzY3hLGWp4Y[/media]

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1404687168' post='2494789']
It's all about developing your own voice as a bassist and being in a situation where your voice is accepted and where it creates synergistic vibes with the music and other musicians. Most bassists are nowhere near that level, and the ones who have achieved it are not even noticed by most other bassists.
[/quote]

Happy to add a +1 to that. :)

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1404581402' post='2493948']
All guitarists think they can play bass, but few of em get the right feel. Never been able to put my finger on why.
[/quote]

Obviously, they're both stringed instruments so some of the techniques are the same, but not all of them.
As we all know, bass isn't just a big guitar with a couple of strings missing.

In all due fairness though, I bet guitarists have the same conversation about bass players. :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1404577897' post='2493896']
... but he does it in such a good way, that it sounds really good...
[/quote]

So let me see if I've grasped this....what you're saying is that to sound "really good", you have to play "in a good way" (or "well" as we say in English). Wow, man, that is deep. :lol: ;)

Some of us have it, and some of us dont..
Quite what 'It' I dont really know. But Bass players are a certain type of person, I reckon.

Doubt if it has any bearing on what I just said, but an interesting read;

[url="http://www.nature.com/news/rhythm-is-heard-best-in-the-bass-1.15481"]http://www.nature.co...he-bass-1.15481[/url]

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1405087241' post='2498750']
So let me see if I've grasped this....what you're saying is that to sound "really good", you have to play "in a good way" (or "well" as we say in English). Wow, man, that is deep. :lol: ;)
[/quote]

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Thanks for taking the time to respond without sounding like a condescending so-and-so.

Oh, wait, hang on...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1404687168' post='2494789']
[/quote]

That's a fantastic way to say it!

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1405087241' post='2498750']
[/quote]

Well...It made me snigger....

And to top it, I was going to say something deep myself (at least for me).
But with you on the prowl....I think I will Tacet...lol...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1405199269' post='2499695']

I have a rule of thumb - Single coils for guitar, hum buckers for bass. Jazz basses may be permitted a dispensation depending on how much I like them :lol:
[/quote]

Doesn't matter to me what pickups are on a guitar, still can't play the damn things :D

Edit: I do love a jazz bass though :)

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1405203907' post='2499745']
Doesn't matter to me what pickups are on a guitar, still can't play the damn things :D

Edit: I do love a jazz bass though :)
[/quote]

No, I can't really play guitar either, but that hasn't stopped me imposing rules on how I think they should be :lol: