Why become a member? ×

My new Schroeder 410L.. Lovin' It!

wateroftyne

Hi all

I've used - and been a great fan of - a Schroeder 21012L for a number of years now. That cab is fantastic, and has never let me down. I play rootsy, country-ish rock and roll, and it's been perfect.

I recently upgraded to my 'dream' head, a Mesa MPulse 600, which has a big, tubey bottom. It got me thinking (OK.. GAS) that a 410L might be a better match, as it has a tighter bottom end, especially as I exclusively use flatwound-strung Ps. Coupled with a head like the Mesa, and a cab with a natural heft like the 21012L, that's a lot of lows!

So, I after grovelling to Mrs. WoT, I exchanged emails with Jorg who suggested that the 410L would indeed do what I was looking for. We worked out a perfectly reasonable deal including shipping to the UK, and I asked if, along with the 'Rhino' finish, he'd be able to give my cab a cloth grille instead of the steel, for a retro look. No problem at all, says he - all I need to do is find the cloth I want online (Fender Blackface) and have it shipped to him.

So, I sent him an International payment, and he kept me up to date every step of the way, answering my questions and sending photos of the work-in-progress. A very exciting time.

I didn't have to wait long, though... the cab landed on my doorstep within two weeks - absolutely amazing, considering the time taken for the International funds transfer and transatlantic shipping!

So... here it is:

OK, I'm shallow, but... how cool is this cab?? It's beautiful. I love cabs that look like something other than black boxes, and this is one of them! It's a real head-turner.

Apparently it weighs marginally more than my 21012L but if it does, it's not really noticeable. It's still an easy one-man lift and it's narrow enough to carry through a door without bashing your hands.

So... how did it do where it actually counts?

I took it straight out to a gig, and gave it a whirl in the soundcheck. The first thing I noticed was that there was a slight 'flutter' when I hit a low G. I emailed Jorg right away to let him know, and he replied right away with apologies, suggestions and assurances. The flutter wasn't noticeable at gig volume, so it wasn't a major problem. I did the gig and enjoyed it immensely.

The next morning, I had a few hours to open the cab up and troubleshoot. I between Jorg & I, we worked out that there was a slight gap in a join where a seal had failed. A squirt of Silicone, a few hours to dry, and... it was sorted! Incidentally, had it not worked, Jorg was poised to build a new cab and ship it over ASAP, so I had nothing to worry about.

I've done a number of gigs with the 410L now, and it is, IMO, the ultimate cab for my needs. I've used it in big halls & small bars, with and without PA support. As suggested by Jorg and many users on Talkbass, the low end is more focussed than the 21012L. Every note is rich, defined and accurate, and has a wonderful punch behind it. My initial reservation with the 410L was that there might not be enough low end compared to the natural heft of the 21012L, but I needn't have worried. There's still spades of 'useful' low end on tap, and it's a perfect match for a P-bass. My band immediately noticed the difference, and my drummer certainly approves. It's a new generation cab, with Celestions and the new tweeter, and it seems to be a great progression. The tweeter is very smooth, and the cab is incredibly well balanced right across the range.

Apologies if this post is overly 'gushing', but Jorg Schroeder is a very cool chap - one of the best in the biz - who builds incredible bass cabs and looks after his customers. It's hard to write anything else!

And, to the new owner of my old 21012L - you've got a great bass cab there. Enjoy it!

Edited by wateroftyne

Very Nice!

The grille does make it stand out too, liking the fretless aswell... very nice setup, not envious at all :)

Just wondered if you'd share what you explained to Jorg in your email to him?

I heard a few people have done this and he's helped them find the right cab for thier needs... Did you basically tell him what kind of stuff you played in your band/style/what you like to play on your own/your gear etc

Anything more, just i'm thinking of emailing him myself but he's no doubt a busy guy so i'd like to make his role as easy as possible!

Thanks, folks!

[quote name='GStar' post='244941' date='Jul 21 2008, 11:36 PM']Just wondered if you'd share what you explained to Jorg in your email to him?

I heard a few people have done this and he's helped them find the right cab for thier needs... Did you basically tell him what kind of stuff you played in your band/style/what you like to play on your own/your gear etc

Anything more, just i'm thinking of emailing him myself but he's no doubt a busy guy so i'd like to make his role as easy as possible![/quote]

Yep, pretty much! When I originally bought the 21012L I just mentioned to him what tone I was after, what I was using, etc, and he made suggestions. Since then my tastes have changed a bit and he advised accordingly.

Don't worry about emailing him. He's always quick to reply. I don't know how he finds the time.

[quote name='Finbar' post='245409' date='Jul 22 2008, 03:03 PM']Is it any more expensive/troublesome to go through the process of talking to and buying from Jorg direct, as opposed to dealing with Shaun at SHX (who incidentally, I have also found to be superb to deal with)?[/quote]

From my experience its quicker to deal with Shaun (who i agree, is also a great bloke to deal with) but it depends if he has stock i guess. And if you want a custom made cab Jorg is the man to talk to.
Shaun and Jorg are in close contact so im sure Shaun can get the regular stock quickly.

The main reason's i went with Shaun this time was that price wise there was no saving by going to Jorg direct and also its was very quick and easy to pay for the cab. with Jorg you need to transfer the money in to his bank account and this takes longer and costs a bit i think (cost me £20 a couple of years ago to do it).
with Shaun i emailed him on a Sunday to see if he had any stock of the 1212L's and by wed that week it had arrived. And i could pay using my credit card.
Also when i emailed him about the faulty driver he had a new one out to me within two days.

To me it was just a lot easier and quicker this time around. both ways were pretty painless though.

The Gallery are also doing these cabs now but price wise i would go with Jorg or Shaun.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='245495' date='Jul 22 2008, 04:32 PM']hey wot, i am loving the new cab, cant wait to gig it on sat. only downside is the serious gas i have for an mpulse!
cheers Geoff[/quote]

[quote name='ste_m3' post='245556' date='Jul 22 2008, 05:52 PM']That looks absaloutly stunning, Like, really. [size=4][b]What are you doing with your old one might i ask??[/b][/size][/quote]

See above! :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='248428' date='Jul 26 2008, 02:15 PM']Nat as pricey as you would expect!

PM'd.[/quote]
Obvious attempt to throw Mrs WoT off the scent! Well played :)

PS, you have the most drool-inducing avatar on BassChat

[quote name='Clarky' post='248464' date='Jul 26 2008, 03:17 PM']PS, you have the most drool-inducing avatar on BassChat[/quote]

I do have to agree. How do you do it? Miracle Grow, mixed phosphate... come on how do you get it so green?

:) We are talking about his lawn aren't we :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='248479' date='Jul 26 2008, 04:01 PM']I do have to agree. How do you do it? Miracle Grow, mixed phosphate... come on how do you get it so green?

:) We are talking about his lawn aren't we :huh:[/quote]

The trick is that I only bother my backside to cut it once a year..!

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='Clarky' post='248464' date='Jul 26 2008, 03:17 PM']PS, you have the most drool-inducing avatar on BassChat[/quote]
That could be a dangerous statement if WoT now changes his avatar to, say, Freddie Mercury...

ohhhhh...that looks great! I love mine to bits, but I really envy the look of your cab. I'd like to have an old school Fender bassman look...tweeeeeeeeeeeeeed, biege front...omg! Peavey did an amp like that a coupld of years ago and it looked really nice.

Anyway, congratulations to a very nice cab!

Cheers

Carl

PS.I still use mine with the Tubepath and it really sounds nice with my warwick basses