Why become a member? ×

*Updated* MTD 535, Status King-Bass "Black Beauty" 4 String & Warwick Streamer Stage II 4 String*Updated*

Josh

Got the 535 today and it is easily the best 5 string I've ever owned or played, and pretty much the best bass I've ever played:

It is set-up just perfectly, plays like butter and sounds even better :).

Ohhh and here's my King-Bass:

Naff photos I know, but you really need to see them in the flesh to fully appreciate them, I still can't get over the craftsmanship of my 535 :huh:

Edited by Josh

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='244600' date='Jul 21 2008, 05:23 PM']Sweet basses Josh!!

how much did the 535 set you back??

it looks beautiful!!

i really wish a could get back into the idea of a figured wood bass (coffee table) lol at the moment i like em plain but yours is starting to give me GAS[/quote]

£2150 from The Gallery!!

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='244608' date='Jul 21 2008, 05:30 PM']WOWSERS!! thats a lot of cash!! i bet its a beauty!!

well done mate!

:)[/quote]
+1

Looks like a fabulous instrument! I hope you've got it or will get it (and the Kingbass) insured?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='244628' date='Jul 21 2008, 05:50 PM']+1

Looks like a fabulous instrument! I hope you've got it or will get it (and the Kingbass) insured?[/quote]

Definetly for Uni!

[quote name='7string' post='244969' date='Jul 22 2008, 12:24 AM']What a great pair of basses.

So pleased to see that the MTD was all that you hoped it would be. Always liked a happy ending :)[/quote]

They are quite the odd couple!

I know man it really is great, and I'm just glad I got it before Randy-Hope-Taylor could put any money down on it!

Now am I the 3rd person on here who has a 535?? Theres Ari and Gwilym.......

[quote name='Josh' post='244586' date='Jul 21 2008, 05:10 PM']It is set-up just perfectly, plays like butter and sounds even better :huh:.[/quote]

Ummmmm - sounds even better than butter, and that's one of my favourite sounds! :)

Seriously nice basses.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='245047' date='Jul 22 2008, 08:01 AM']Hope you got it cheap mate, someone's scribbled all over the back of the headstock.

EDIT: How does that Buzz Feiten malarky hold up?[/quote]

Some bearded geezer to be precise!

To be honest, even after looking at the website for it and everything I'm still baffled at what difference it actually makes :)

It's a great system to have on any kind of guitar. If I could afford it, I'd get all my instruments "Feitenized"...

I'm in the middle of doing an Open University course on the technology of music, which went into the thinking behind different temperaments and their relative "in-tuneness" (for lack of a better word). Really interesting stuff. Long story short, players could only play in certain keys or modes to sound "in-tune". Same instrument, different mode or key and it sounded terrible.

Even now, un-Feitenized guitars sound more in-tune with some chords than with others.

[quote name='7string' post='245798' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:55 PM']It's a great system to have on any kind of guitar. If I could afford it, I'd get all my instruments "Feitenized"...

I'm in the middle of doing an Open University course on the technology of music, which went into the thinking behind different temperaments and their relative "in-tuneness" (for lack of a better word). Really interesting stuff. Long story short, players could only play in certain keys or modes to sound "in-tune". Same instrument, different mode or key and it sounded terrible.

Even now, un-Feitenized guitars sound more in-tune with some chords than with others.[/quote]

So ermmmmm, so really it makes no difference whatsoever? :)

Edited by Josh

On regular acoustic guitars, some chords sound more in-tune than others. With the Buzz Feiten system, all of the chords sound in-tune with each other.

Rest assured that having a Feitenized bass is a good thing :)

When the intonation is set on your bass, each string is offset by + or - 1 cent. That's 1/100th of a semitone.

The combination of the special nut on the bass and offsetting the intonation makes that tiny difference of making the bass more in-tune with itself.

Edited by 7string

• 2 weeks later...

*Up-Date*

My 1998 (Sorry John :huh:) Warwick Streamer Stage II 4 String:

I love it, it's so smooth and comofortable, and the tone is exactly what I was hoping for!!

And heres the 18volt pre-amp, I'll be damned if someone can guess what it is:

It's feels awesome to have a (Even Better) Warwick again :huh:

Also, that makes a 3rd bass that is has an 18volt pre, eight 9 volts between 3 basses :)

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='255396' date='Aug 5 2008, 02:03 PM']Blimey Josh, thats a sweet SSII...and that 535 is gorgeous as well, what wood top has it got? Spalted something...? (at a guess) Maple?

G'ah...I knew it...

Bad GAS :)[/quote]

At a guess, I'd say Splated Maple as well, but I actually don't know, wish I knew where to find out, and the spalted top came as a nice little suprise actually :huh:.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Stockholm Syndrome' post='259188' date='Aug 10 2008, 11:30 AM']Lovely Stage II! And the 535 isn't bad either :huh:[/quote]

The SSII is even more amazing in the flesh, and sound that bit better when tuned a full step down :)