Why become a member? ×

Best Spectors?

jcrangle_1992

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='357252' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:06 PM']Do you need to give it some time John? Are you maybe subconsiously wanting it to dissapoint?

I would imagine it sounds a lot different to the Streamer. Maybe it needs to be given a blast in anger?

For a P/J I like the pup balance. So often it's weighted towards the P. I'm finding it does a good bridge pup tone as well as a capable more bluesy tone on the neck. I'm using very little boost on the bass and treble at the moment.[/quote]

You may well be right Peter... again :huh:

I keep searching for something that is going to knock my socks off in comparison to my Streamer and/or Infinette but I think when you get to this level of bass you are talking subtle 'differences' NOT better or worse; in which case it is going to fail to knock my socks off.

Rehearsing tomorrow and gigging Friday so it'll go along with my Streamer and get a chance. :huh:

The pan between the pups is indeed impressive and despite my initial concerns over no centre detent I actually think it works better without the detent. Heaven forbid I'm not boosting ANY of the EQ... are you mad fella? That boost only cicuit is massive with everything dialled off. :huh:

[quote name='Sean' post='357265' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:27 PM']£800? £1500ish from Thomann! :)[/quote]

I have a little insider info that the UK prices will be steeper with the latest exchange rate and a new distributor. Thomann may well appear cheap soon!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='357317' date='Dec 17 2008, 08:41 PM']You may well be right Peter... again :)

I keep searching for something that is going to knock my socks off in comparison to my Streamer and/or Infinette[/quote]
FWIW, if I purchased any bass with that expectation, I would probably be setting myself up for disappointment. In terms of playability there's probably not a lot in it between the two IMO. In terms of sound, the Spectors are probably more aggressive sounding. Whether thats a good or a bad thing probably depends on the context.

Its probably best to view the bass as a tool with a certain tonal character. What you do with that tool obviously is up to you.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='357328' date='Dec 17 2008, 08:58 PM']FWIW, if I purchased any bass with that expectation, I would probably be setting myself up for disappointment. In terms of playability there's probably not a lot in it between the two IMO. In terms of sound, the Spectors are probably more aggressive sounding. Whether thats a good or a bad thing probably depends on the context.

Its probably best to view the bass as a tool with a certain tonal character. What you do with that tool obviously is up to you.[/quote]

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='357339' date='Dec 17 2008, 09:10 PM']I actually got the oil finish flame maple Euro 5 because it reminded me so much of an SS1 I owned for a number of years. I loved the Streamer Stage 1 and I love the Spector too. I'd have both if I could. they're both great basses[/quote]

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking one nor the other and I was well aware that I was buying a bass which in many respects sired the very bass that I have used for many years, more importantly they share the same pup config even if they are different manufacturers. I suppose for me I was wanting to move my tone on to the next level as I'm slowly but surely whittling down what I need and want (I even sold one of my Infinettes which has been my 'main' bass for 15+ years, which is something I thought I'd never do). Oddly enough though I could very easily own a Warwick Streamer and a Spector I think I subconsciously wanted to find something new (even though I KNOW they are very similar)... I'm chasing this around in circles; where's Peter with his therapy talk when you need him? :huh:

I wish my various band projects would get into the gigging groove as this always happens when I'm not gigging enough. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='357345' date='Dec 17 2008, 09:22 PM']I'm chasing this around in circles; where's Peter with his therapy talk when you need him? :)[/quote]
:huh:

Well I've tried to have a specific purpose for each bass in my collection and its worked for me. Each bass has a purpose or a role. Even if I am just clear about the fact that I've 'collected' it, and its an indulgence.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='357353' date='Dec 17 2008, 09:29 PM']:)

Well I've tried to have a specific purpose for each bass in my collection and its worked for me. Each bass has a purpose or a role. Even if I am just clear about the fact that I've 'collected' it, and its an indulgence.[/quote]

I normally have a similar philosophy Steve, hence my recent acquisition of a P bass for a traditional 'classic rock' band but it didn't take long to realise that even though I could justify that it had a place on looks alone I couldn't get away with that big old plank of wood they call a body (WoT :huh: ). I do have one indulgence in my collection actually and that is the Bolin. It does everything well and has some tricks up its sleeve (piezo) that none of my Warwicks can achieve but if I have to pick up a bass for a gig it is invariably one of two basses; SSI or Infinette! Actually this talking lark IS quite therapeutic, MAYBE I'm pursuing another alternative bass so vehemently BECAUSE I've just sold one of my main gigging basses, feck knows why as I'm more than happy with the tone of the alternative I have. I do know that one remedy will be a full band diary!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='357364' date='Dec 17 2008, 09:50 PM']Actually this talking lark IS quite therapeutic, MAYBE I'm pursuing another alternative bass so vehemently BECAUSE I've just sold one of my main gigging basses, feck knows why as I'm more than happy with the tone of the alternative I have. I do know that one remedy will be a full band diary![/quote]
Did you fancy a change of bass playing scenery perhaps? :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='357379' date='Dec 17 2008, 10:12 PM']Did you fancy a change of bass playing scenery perhaps? :)[/quote]

Well Doctor, it all started when my Mother...! :huh:

Not a coincidence I suppose that I'd pretty much used the same couple of basses for gigging for 15 years when my band of, let me see... 15 years, folded! Not a word of a lie I've dabbled now and again with plenty of basses and build up a collection of some of the best I'd come across but been blissfully happy with what I played (inc amplification) on a day to day basis; yet when the band that I'd been in with the same original line-up since day one (oops with the exception of WoT's guitarist for the first couple months) 'imploded' I suddenly had the desire to change amplification rather than fix it when it went wrong and lo-and-behold I started selling basses I'd owned for 10-15 years and been blissfully happy with. I also started looking for all sorts of esoteric bits of gear inc basses.

What's that you say Doc, time is up. When can I book another session? :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='357408' date='Dec 17 2008, 11:01 PM']What's that you say Doc, time is up. When can I book another session? :)[/quote]

[i]Well Jaaaaahn I think we have a lotta issues to explore here. I'd like to book you in at your earliest convenience so we may continue our enlightening discussions. I'm thinking there maybe some unresolved issues concerning guilt and committment. Perhaps a dilemna between what you felt was the right thing to do and what you felt compelled to do.

I mean Jaaaahn, lets face it, you've known this instrument intimately for 15 years and then you let it go. Perhaps you're still seeking closure Jaaaahn, perhaps you feel a little guilty about the way in which you let this instrument go so easily?

Please speak to my secretary on your way out and we'll fit you in for dinner sometime next week...

...look forward to seeing you soon![/i]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='357446' date='Dec 17 2008, 11:44 PM']

[i]Well Jaaaaahn I think we have a lotta issues to explore here. I'd like to book you in at your earliest convenience so we may continue our enlightening discussions. I'm thinking there maybe some unresolved issues concerning guilt and committment. Perhaps a dilemna between what you felt was the right thing to do and what you felt compelled to do.

I mean Jaaaahn, lets face it, you've known this instrument intimately for 15 years and then you let it go. Perhaps you're still seeking closure Jaaaahn, perhaps you feel a little guilty about the way in which you let this instrument go so easily?

Please speak to my secretary on your way out and we'll fit you in for dinner sometime next week...

...look forward to seeing you soon![/i][/quote]

Can I bring my Marmy?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='357457' date='Dec 18 2008, 12:02 AM']Can I bring my Marmy?[/quote]

[i]No Jaaaahn, you may NOT bring your marmy. This is about you and you alone, the presence of your mother would create an unnecessary distraction at this juncture. If you think she would require my assistance, I'm sure we can make some arrangements to fit her own session into my schedule. Besides which I don't recall that we established a strong link between your mother and your bass guitars. Perhaps this is something we should explore at a later date?

Yours sincerely
Dr Hannibal Specter.[/i]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='357226' date='Dec 17 2008, 06:28 PM']Time may well tell but I think it's less of a transition for me as I've so much experience with the early Warwick Streamers and contrary to popular belief the Spector doesn't mop the floor with the SSI they are just... different, yet similar in many ways![/quote]

I'd only say they mop the floor with the newer SS1..... not the original ones... :)

[quote name='Sean' post='357258' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:19 PM']Cetera, are the body wings of these half maple, half alder in equal layers or are the maple bits thinner veneers? They look like half and half.[/quote]

I believe they are half and half.... with a slice of walnut through the middle...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='357328' date='Dec 17 2008, 08:58 PM']FWIW, if I purchased any bass with that expectation, I would probably be setting myself up for disappointment. In terms of playability there's probably not a lot in it between the two IMO. In terms of sound, the Spectors are probably more aggressive sounding. Whether thats a good or a bad thing probably depends on the context.

Its probably best to view the bass as a tool with a certain tonal character. What you do with that tool obviously is up to you.[/quote]

Completely agree....

We bassists are a fussy bunch, but when you get to a certain level of build quality/electronics etc it's all down to personal preference ultimately.

Both US/Euro Spectors and Warwicks (older ones and higher end current Infinitys etc) are of a high build quality, have excellent hardware and electronics. The feel and subtle differences in tonal characteristics will be what attracts you to one or the other, or both!

Sometimes I think we over analyse it all a little too much. Does it look good? Yep, beautiful! Does it sound good? F*ck yeah! Does it balance well, feel comfortable and bring out the best in my playing! Damn right! :)

Edited by cetera

[quote name='Bassmurf' post='357756' date='Dec 18 2008, 12:00 PM']This one caught my eye this morning.......

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Spector-Legend-5-MK-Custom---Matte-Black~ID~9547.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~S...ack~ID~9547.asp[/url][/quote]

That's a rare spec for a 'Spector'.... i.e. completely 'passive' as per Mike Kroegers wishes....

Well, I took the new blue Euro to rehearsal today and the only comment it got was, "urrgh, gold hardware, how tacky is that?!" [From someone in a function band :huh: ]

Anyway, it sounded great; fat and thick in the mix and the only instrument I've had that has nailed the tone in that Scissor Sisters' song, Take Your Mama Out. It's totally the wrong instrument for a couple of the swing numbers we did but I just couldn't be bothered to put the DJ with flats in the car today. Massive sound and extremely comfortable to play, can't go wrong.

Anyone else find that the fingerboard just sucks up the lemon oil, like painting emulsion on a new wall! :) Gallons of it!

Edited by Sean

I left my Euro 5 LX at home last night and took my Rebop 5 DLX FM instead and it was a revelation. I hadn't used the Rebop live since I got my Euro about 2 months ago but as my shoulder was giving me some grief, I fancied using something lighter. It did a fantastic job and I actually prefer the sound of it to the Euro. My shoulder was happy too as were the others in the band who all commented on what a nice clean, punchy sound I had.

Edited by niceguyhomer

• 2 weeks later...

What a bridge! I changed the strings on mine today to put a set of Elixirs on and the saddles fell out as I was doing it :huh:

I had to reset the intonation which took me a while but these 'ere bridges bain't be for the faint hearted land lubbing bassist. :)

[quote name='Sean' post='366654' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:58 PM']What a bridge! I changed the strings on mine today to put a set of Elixirs on and the saddles fell out as I was doing it :huh:

I had to reset the intonation which took me a while but these 'ere bridges bain't be for the faint hearted land lubbing bassist. :)[/quote]

Ah, you've got to lock the bridge (use the allen key on the side lock) first.... :huh:

Do any of you 5 string players have problems with strings not fitting into the bridge properly?

I've got a set of Slinkys on my Euro 5 right now, and I've had to squash the end of the B string flatter to actually get it to fit in the bridge properly, but it's not gone all the way in, which I think affects sustain a little bit.