Why become a member? ×

Cheap amp sounds nicer?

Myke

I currently own a Hartke LH500 running through a Genz Benz Focus 2x10 and I quite like how it sounds, not my ideal setup but definitely a good setup (I think).

Except today something bad happened.. I had a quiet rehearsal so I grabbed my rubbishy little Gear4Music 25w amp and headed out. I plugged in and just fell in love! It sounded so good!

I don't know if it's because it's not a valve amp which the Hartke is or because it's so compact or what but I just loved it! I don't think it would stand up to a proper rehearsal or a gig but on it's own.. Wow. This has happened before when I've used it instead of my Roland Cube amp but I thought that was just because of it being a 10" speaker instead of a 12".

It saddens me to think I prefer it though.. May have to move the Hartke on and get a small solid state head instead.

But until then I'll be using the little G4M amp when I'm rehearsing at home!

My ideal tone would be that what I get from my Ampeg BA108. I can get very near to it using my Tech21 VT DI through my Markbass gear, but I`m sure the speaker itself has a major influence. Just can`t carry Ampegs any more :angry:

IMHO, the RedSub (White Horse) sounds much better than the Cube, but sadly it seems built with more crappy components.

I had this thought: how about if part of your experience is about the 210 working at half the excursion compared to a 110, thus at this low volume reducing the resolution of the signal? Dunno, but sounds logic to me as to the physics involved, and seems to fit with experience.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1402698014' post='2476208']
If you say so...
[/quote]

I do! I'm not saying that the tone of it would be perfect in a live situation though, it just sounds lovely as it is :)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1402726259' post='2476294']
I had this thought: how about if part of your experience is about the 210 working at half the excursion compared to a 110, thus at this low volume reducing the resolution of the signal? Dunno, but sounds logic to me as to the physics involved, and seems to fit with experience.
[/quote]

This could well be it, I've not cranked my main rig before, not properly anyway.

Guest bassman7755

It gets harder to retain audio signal integrity as you increase the power levels involved especially where speakers are concerned. Its why a £20 set of headphones sounds better than PA costing 5K.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1402695851' post='2476178']
I don't know if it's because it's not a valve amp which the Hartke is...[/quote]

Actually, the Hartke only has one valve - in the preamp stage. It is really a solid state amp with a "bit" of valve warmth thrown in.

The trouble is that there are so many variables here. I did a similar thing at my band's rehearsal last week. We are practicing for an upcoming "quiet" gig so in an effort to minimise the carry-in I used my Ashdown Perfect 10 (30W) combo instead of my usual LH500 and Barefaced Big One.

I really liked the sound - even though (or maybe [b][i]because[/i][/b]) the Ashdown was running flat out! I couldn't (and wouldn't) use it for a full-on rehearsal or gig, but a lower volumes it actually sounded pretty good!

A few years back I bought a Peavey Micro bass amp to use for practice at home and these quiet rehearsals in front rooms, and I loved the way it sounded with my bass. It also sounded great with my strat and yamaha electro-acoustic guitars so it went out on small low volume gigs and sounded perfectly fine. I even used it a few times mic'd up at big venues when we travelled without a back line and no-one ever complained about the sound. Having good monitors meant the amp didn't need to be up loud.

Jazzyvee

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1402919368' post='2477830']
Could it be that you like the scooped-mid voicing of the LH500 less than the sound of other amps? You could try running the LH500 with the midrange turned to full and the bass and treble around 1, which should bring the EQ somewhere close to flat.
[/quote]

I always do that. The 2,10,2 setting is supposed to be approximately "flat", but I find it still a bit mid-poor and bass-heavy. There are times when I cut the bass control completely in order to get more mid-range. Of course, using a J bass with both pickups on full most of the time doesn't help... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1402919368' post='2477830']
Could it be that you like the scooped-mid voicing of the LH500 less than the sound of other amps? You could try running the LH500 with the midrange turned to full and the bass and treble around 1, which should bring the EQ somewhere close to flat.
[/quote]

This is something I didn't know.. I will look into it!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1402914556' post='2477741']
Actually, the Hartke only has one valve - in the preamp stage. It is really a solid state amp with a "bit" of valve warmth thrown in.
[/quote]

Again something I didn't know! I shall fiddle more!

I find the room acoustics are too often the biggest factor in 'nice' bass, sometimes with the right amp to match the room you get a sweet combination and it just sings. then you take the amp somewhere else and the magic dies. I much prefer my J bass to play, and love the depth, but sadly my American Deluxe P bass just does the job better and sounds good with the band. I suspect your usual set up is just overwhelming with bass because of exciting room resonances. It's so frustrating, I love wallowing in the deeps but have to roll it off nearly all the time.