Why become a member? ×

Hyde Park baby!!

redbandit599

Hi all

I play in a slightly wonky pop punk covers band with 7 work colleagues, we got together for fun and to raise a bit of cash for charity. We've done all of three gigs, one in a practice studio, our works Xmas bash in a hotel and three songs at a talent contest in a theatre. Raised about £3k so far for Bliss.

One of the guitarists/the band leader (Ian) is a Sales Director, and thoroughly enjoying this mid-life crisis inspired band, as are we all.

Any how, we work for Barclaycard who are sponsoring British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Ian has convinced the organisers that we should play. So we'll be playing on the Band Stand in Hyde Park between 6.30 and 7.30pm on Tuesday 8th July, which just happens to be World Cup semi finals night with free entry, beer and big screens for the footie. So, who knows what it'll be like or how many people will be along. If England get through, were in real trouble, not much danger there though ;-)

I'm under no illusion that we've got this gig through anything other than a first class blag, connections and twisting arms. We will add precisely zero to the sum of human musical development as we knock out our dodgy under-rehearsed, pop punk covers. But I'm heartened by the fact that there weren't going to be any bands on at this time, so it's not like we've displaced someone else!

Any how, I'm claiming it as supporting Black Sabbath, just a couple of days late and on the wrong stage.

If you happen to be about, look out for Declined Transaction!

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1402494928' post='2474117']
I'm under no illusion that we've got this gig through anything other than a first class blag, connections and twisting arms.
[/quote]

. . . . the very stuff of life!

Well done - enjoy every second of it . . . . it'll be something to tell the grandchildren. :D

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1402507951' post='2474271']
This is almost unfeasibly cool :D Have a great one[/quote]

I can't add much to this. Proof, if any were needed, that it's not what you know...

How excited are y'all right now? Awesome, you'll have a blast.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's the day of the Hyde Park gig. Been an 'interesting' run up, first told that we'll have to use hired gear due to PAT testing etc (no idea what will be waiting for us!), then swapped onto the Barclaycard Theatre stage, which then got closed down, that's now fixed and we are back on, then told that our name 'Declined Transaction' may bring the Barclaycard brand into 'disrepute' so last minute, one night only, name change, probably to Pavilion Drive.

Actually we're quite proud of having our name banned! Must be doing something right :on_the_quiet:

All the best! I find the request to change your name a bit of a disappointment, honestly. I mean, looks like Barclaycard have no sense of humour and expect the audience to be equally lacking in that department. Make sure you don't lose out on publicity and self-promotion because of the name change. And, as I said before, have a great one, and post pics and footage when you have them! :) :sun_bespectacled:

Cheers! Yes the name change thing is a bit strange, I'm told it's just one senior bod on the group Exco who doesn't get the joke.

Sometimes you just have to go with it in Big Corporate Land! To be fair though, they've given us the chance to play, picked up the tab for hiring the gear and will double everything that we can raise for Bliss (premature babies charity that we raise cash for) on the night, so none of us are particularly objecting to the name change. This gig/band is very much just for the fun of it, no expectations of building a following or anything.

Hi all

Well we did it, found out that a damp Tuesday night doesn't draw thousands (or hundreds) into Hyde Park, but we had fun playing through a mahoosive PA and on some pretty epic hire gear to about 70 of ouf faithfull followers (plus 3 people who wandered and and promptly had a song dedicated to them to ensure they stayed!)

Great thing to say I've done, though Ian (our band leader) has an even crazier scheme, which I'll reveal if it gets further....

Anyhow, in the spirit of photos or it didn't happen. I'll try and upload a few, I'm the bass player with the red 5 string. Photos were taken by a pro who is a mate of one of the band, they make us look better than we are. But if anyone wants pro-level live photos, I guess I know someone good now!

[attachment=166835:Declined_Transaction_057.jpg][attachment=166836:Declined_Transaction_011.jpg][attachment=166837:Declined_Transaction_105.jpg][attachment=166838:Declined_Transaction_137.jpg][attachment=166839:Declined_Transaction_185.jpg][attachment=166840:Declined_Transaction_112.jpg][attachment=166841:Declined_Transaction_158.jpg][attachment=166842:Declined_Transaction_173.jpg][attachment=166843:Declined_Transaction_199.jpg][attachment=166844:Declined_Transaction_204.jpg]

Edited by redbandit599