Why become a member? ×

Fender Jaguar Basses

Clarky72

A bit of help/advice...

Any had one these at all? I've been looking around at different sites, Fender and otherwise, and there seem to be some inconsistency in the bridge pickup location on these. Some have 60s, some have 70s. Does anyone know which ones have which and/or when they changed from one to the other?

Cheers

I had one a few years ago, didn't like it TBH.

Awkward shape, and unless you mod the electrics, it buzzed like a disturbed wasp's nest!

I found myself fiddling the various knobs and switches too much, never really settling on a sound. Saying that, I lke passive basses, and that was my only foray into active. I didn't last long!

Saying that, I still think they look fab. Mine was the red one, MIJ, and it was gorgeous.

A fine bass in the right hands with slight tinkering just not for me.

Good luck in the search.

Edited by spongebob

I borrowed my mate's for a while and I liked it in passive but I didn't get on with the active side at all well... It felt a bit 'fake'.
My mate has since sold it as he thought it sounded 'pissy' - strangely I know what he meant.

Mind you, the current PJ ones are good! Modern Player I think.

I love mine. 2006 CIJ Hot Rod Red with matching headstock.
Lovely passive tone with everything cranked and both pups engaged.
Active does buzz a fair bit but there is a simple solution - copper tape the crap out of it and shield the pickguard!
I generally prefer the passive tone but there is something nice about the active one too and I usually don't dig active Fenders (my 90's American Deluxe Precision sounds amazing too though!). The Jag really does cut through in active mode without sacrificing that thundery Jazz style goodness!

I have no idea what the pickup spacing style is though. :rolleyes:

I had a Squier VM Jaguar for a bit and I honestly can't believe I sold it - I miss it terribly! It was my favourite bass to gig with - perfect tone every time from the stock PJ pickups. Gutted it went but couldn't justify two Jags - I'm no Prescott (but I am becoming a fat b*st*rd)!

I can't wait to hear what the new American Standard Jags will be like!!!

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1402557436' post='2474677']
Thanks guys. I was thinking of getting the deluxe and ripping the wiring out and putting standard jazz wiring back into it, getting rid of the noisy active circuit, making if effectively just a jazz with a wonky body.
[/quote]

Jazzes have got wonky bodies already! :D

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1402557436' post='2474677']
Thanks guys. I was thinking of getting the deluxe and ripping the wiring out and putting standard jazz wiring back into it, getting rid of the noisy active circuit, making if effectively just a jazz with a wonky body.
[/quote]

The passive mode bypasses the active circuit so ripping out the electronics isn't necessary. Insufficient shielding was the problem with the noisy active electrics. And the first run models used ceramic instead of Alnico pickups, the MIJ Geddy basses did this also at that time, there's no good excuse for them doing that on basses at that price IMO. All in all though great overall bass design. They should have thought of this bass along time ago its such a natural evolutionary step from the Jazz.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my white with tort plate one a few years ago now. At the time it wasn't available in that colour. However I managed to get it after a struggle and they said it would take 6 weeks to build. Don't know if it is because it was a special order, but mine does not buzz at all. It is just excellent and I certainly won't be parting with it.

And yes, this should have been produced in the 60's. You are correct. I waited for it for 40 years before somebody in Japan had the brainwave to introduce it. You can keep the modern player, the deluxe is top drawer IMHO.

I succumbed to temptation in GAK today and walked out with a Squire Jag HB. It's not in colour I particularly like (but I was planning on a re-finish anyway), black, but it was just £149 (price only available in store and they have two left). So far I really like it, although along with the re-finish it's going to get a more P like and maple fingerboard neck at some stage.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1402394067' post='2472895']
A bit of help/advice...

Any had one these at all? I've been looking around at different sites, Fender and otherwise, and there seem to be some inconsistency in the bridge pickup location on these. Some have 60s, some have 70s. Does anyone know which ones have which and/or when they changed from one to the other?

Cheers
[/quote]

The MIJ jaguar has the 70s spacing, the MIA version I think is 70s but I haven't seen one in the flesh.

The squier versions range, since they come in short scald too.

Hope that helps.

FWIW, I loved my Japanese one, excellent build quality, preamp is a bit crap though.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1404541253' post='2493532']
The MIJ jaguar has the 70s spacing, the MIA version I think is 70s but I haven't seen one in the flesh.

The squier versions range, since they come in short scald too.

Hope that helps.

FWIW, I loved my Japanese one, excellent build quality, preamp is a bit crap though.
[/quote]

Love my jJapanese one too.

Noticed on the Fender site the Deluxe (CIJ) series Jags have diappeared. Perhaps now they are part of the American Standard series they no loner produce them in Japan