Why become a member? ×

Weighing a bass - a difficult task?

wateroftyne

Weight is not an unknown issue in musical intruments ( or amps and cabs ) so I'd expect most shops who know
what they are doing to be aware that weight is a factor in their products. Have they not heard of class D or Neo
marketing blurb ..??? so, it isn't rocket science to realise a pair of scales that can get a pretty accurate reading
is going to be useful to achieve this.

I'd suggest this is a shop who don't pay much attention briefing their staff about such things...and if they can't do that,
they may be amiss in quite a few other things.
File under basic customer service...or not..!!!!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1401971234' post='2468778']
Wrong. The bass will float and the weight of the water displaced will equal the weight of the bass.
[/quote]

Point taken; thanks. I'm confusing with total immersion. I've stopped doing it now, anyway, as it's disturbing for the guppies. :blush:

First weigh a whale, then get the whale to swallow the bass and weigh the whale again ,the difference between the two is the weight of the bass.
...of course you'll have to do this at a whale weigh station.

.. sorry

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1401971234' post='2468778']
Wrong. The bass will float and the weight of the water displaced will equal the weight of the bass.
[/quote]

. . . . . IF the bass floats. With all the metalwork and strings etc it might sink . . . . in which case the displaced water will equal the volume, not the weight (mass).

So, the big question is 'does a bass float or sink in a bath full of water? Any volunteers want to give it a try? :lol:

I'm not surprised said retailer aren't weighing it. They shift a lot of gear and I imagine this is just not what they do, which is crazy...as its a few seconds job. I've used them previously but I'm not sure I would again.

Every big retailer should take a leaf out of Sweetwater's book in the USA. They weigh and take photos of almost every bass/guitar, and have a brilliant guitar gallery (which I go on to check what the colours look like instead of looking on the manufacturer's photoshopped images).

If you are spending £1000+, it should be EXPECTED that you want additional information. I would take advantage of their returns policy, as to be honest, that is your only way of doing it, and its completely fine to do this.

I've used digital kitchen scales before, but they aren't amazingly accurate....definitely better than nothing.

You could use those cheap luggage scales that they sell in Tesco, pretty accurate too

http://www.tesco.com/direct/uni-com-digital-luggage-scales/215-8177.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=215-8177&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF_Bags%20%26%20Luggage_215-8177kpid=215-8177&sc_cmp=ppc_g__&gclid=CjgKEAjwzcWcBRCat43fy9e5i3ASJADXOBwut2P_ukPoXvV91LvmB6K32YyH_8wkiXewCYo9fkdUD_D_BwE

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried weighing my bass on my kitchen scales and got a very accurate reading of

ERROR 3

I have no idea what this particular set of scales is trying to tell me...

But it would explain why that pastry kept breaking up.. lol

Seriously though, if it's common make of bass odds are somewhere online will be weight.

Or someone on BC might have one...

They might be so kind as to weigh theirs

And maybe make a tasty pie :)

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1403374969' post='2482248']
Seriously though, if it's common make of bass odds are somewhere online will be weight.

[/quote]

Cheers, but I think you need to read the thread :-)

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1403374969' post='2482248']

[/quote]

e.g. Lakland DJ4 8lb 1oz - 10lb 3oz not guesses but basses I have actually owned and weighed accurately. At one end of the scale very comfortable to play for a couple of sets... the other = shoulder pains for 3 days after. ;)