Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wave those glowsticks! - Getting a 'rave' bass tone

Roland Rock

One of our new songs has a kind of old-skool rave vibe, and I'd like to get a tone like that in the following video (bass starts at 0:30). I'm assuming this is keyboard bass, but any pointers on approximating it on bass guitar please? Thanks

http://youtu.be/xI8S1Nn6NRk

Edited by Roland Rock

Any pedal that can generate a triangle waveform can get close if you dial out all the bass guitar and leave just the wave form. The OC2 can get close but you'll need to play up the neck to compensate for the shifted octave and the sound isn't as hi-fi sounding as on that clip.

Yeah I would look at octavers. The Boss suffers from a volume drop when set to 100% wet, but you could boost that with a bit of overdrive to dirty it up. The Pearl octaver does a similar sound to the Boss but with an added dirty octave up, or the Aguilar has a filter control that you can open up to make it sound more raspy. Also the Iron Ether Subterranea would worth a look.

You could also approximate it with a bit crusher, maybe get a cheap Zoom multi (MS-60B or B1on) and mess about to see what you come up with - they have quite a few synth models built in too.

Great stuff, thanks folks.
I've checked out some YT vids.
There's a really clear Subterrenea demo, and it sounds superb. I love the clean octave sounds, but the as soon as you start to kick in the filter and waveforms, I can already get a lot of those sounds with my existing pedals.

The Boss OC2 seems like a good bet. It sounds good enough clean, but would also be fun mixing in drive/fuzz/LPF/Expression pedal too. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the Sub!

Thanks a lot folks

That's the Sleng Teng bass line, I think it was played on an SH-101, but yeah an OC-2 will give you the basis of it but you'll be missing a bit of the crispiness of the higher frequencies. With my gear I'd run an OC-2 into my Bugcrusher to add in some treble content and then use my Xerograph to filter some of the really high stuff out. It's worth noting though that the OC-2 does sound different depending on the signal you feed it with, and you might get something close to that by putting a distortion before the OC-2.

Avoid chorus, that won't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjw7m-BKmQ8

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1401027320' post='2459282']
That's the Sleng Teng bass line, I think it was played on an SH-101, but yeah an OC-2 will give you the basis of it but you'll be missing a bit of the crispiness of the higher frequencies. With my gear I'd run an OC-2 into my Bugcrusher to add in some treble content and then use my Xerograph to filter some of the really high stuff out. It's worth noting though that the OC-2 does sound different depending on the signal you feed it with, and you might get something close to that by putting a distortion before the OC-2.

Avoid chorus, that won't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjw7m-BKmQ8
[/quote]

Great info, thanks. I've actually just bagged an OC3 for cheap on the marketplace, so looking forward to playing with it. I have a Xerograph, so it should come in handy.

I'm thinking this tone will come in handy for the more Dancehall style songs we do too

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1401127530' post='2460374']
There is no chorus on that track.
[/quote]

I think people are suggesting chorus, probably after the filter, as it will provide a bit of movement and a Unison/doubling effect and make the whole thing sound a bit fatter. I do this myself with a TC Corona after all of my synthy pedals!

Loads of people put chorus on SH-101s in the 80s/90s for this reason, as they lacked a 'Unison' control (info courtesy of Liam Howlett!...)

I assume that when people mentioned chorus you were looking for a Peter Hook "warbley"/cheesy 80s guitar-type sound, which certainly isn't there!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1401210277' post='2461241']
Just remember that the OC-3 doesn't sound like the OC-2 at all.
Do yourself a favour and just buy the OC-2 ;)

Si
[/quote]

I bought it on the strength of the wet tone from a YT vid. If it doesn't do it for me, I'll follow your advice :-)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1401193651' post='2460960']
I think people are suggesting chorus, probably after the filter, as it will provide a bit of movement and a Unison/doubling effect and make the whole thing sound a bit fatter. I do this myself with a TC Corona after all of my synthy pedals![/quote]

I know what you mean, but I still can't hear any chorus on that track.