Why become a member? ×

G'day from Beijing

fun size nick

Hi everyone,

I'm Nick, I'm a transplanted Aussie who has been living in Beijing, China for the last 5 years or so. I've been an occasional poster on Talkbass for many years, and was on The Bottom Line before that, if anyone remembers it! I've lurked on here from time to time to glean info about certain brands of gear that are sometimes overlooked by our American brethren. There really is some great stuff being designed & made in the UK.

I started out on piano as a kid, then switched to flute so that I could play in my primary school band, then started sneaking into my brother's room to play his bass when I was 15 and forgot all about the flute! I lived & gigged in Australia until I was 25, playing soul, pop, rock, punk, ska, blues-rock & jazz and bringing those styles with me into church as a worship band musician. I then, on the advice of a friend who had done so already, made the move to Beijing in search of opportunties to play full-time...and because it seemed like a good idea at the time! It's been a fun few years and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Right now I'm playing with folk-rock/reggae band Eluvia (http://www.facebook.com/eluviatheband), we just released our debut album 'The Space Between {the beginning and the end}' last weekend so I'm feeling both excited and relieved to have completed that project! I also do freelance gigs as a bass player and do solo acoustic guitar covers around the place as well.

I play a 1974 Fender Jazz, and until recently also played a 1981 Fender Precision - I loved it, but I didn't play it enough to justify keeping it around. I still wonder if I made the right decision sometimes! Back in Australia, I had an Ashdown ABM 500 evo 2 (one of the last of the UK made ones) and a Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 610. Now that I'm in Beijing and don't have a big car (or any car at all), I get about with an Acoustic Image Focus 1 and an Epifani UL series 2 112.

Now, I may be antipodean, but my Mum's from Liverpool and my wife is English too...hope that gets me a pass ;) oh, and I love Hiscox cases - extra points? Just don't bring up the cricket...

Anyway, thanks for having me around. Cheers!

Nick

[quote name='fun size nick' timestamp='1400142705' post='2451064']...don't bring up the cricket...[/quote]

... but rugby would be fine, eh..?

Good afternoon, Nick, and ...

[url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url]

... to the forum. Lots to see here; enjoy...

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to [s]wasting time here[/s] being a part of this community!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1400157565' post='2451276']
Welcome Nick and welcome to Basschat.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be fascinated to hear about the gigging scene in China.

I reckon playing in a worship band over there might be a bit dangerous ;)

Len
[/quote]

Not as dangerous as you might think...it's complicated! The gov tends to put a good face on things in Beijing as far as religious freedom goes, but things in the provinces are quite variable.

I'd be happy to share some suitably bizarre stories if there's somewhere appropriate to do so...do we have a gig report/stories forum here?

Hi Nick and welcome :)

The gig report thread is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/7919-how-was-your-gig-last-night/"]how was your gig last night[/url]. Bizarre stories / situations tend to appear on an ad-hoc basis.

Anything remotely controversial or political goes in the 'BassChat member viewable-only' [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/9-off-topic/"]Off-Topic[/url] forum*.

[size=2]*(Proofed against drummers, singers, etc., but probably wide open to the Chinese Ministry Of Public Security if they can be bothered).[/size]