Why become a member? ×

Help - need something small, light, and loud!

lukeward2004

Hey folks,

Im considering getting a new amp for practises and small gigs, requirements are that it must be lightweight, preferably with neo speakers, and enough grunt to handle both home jams and rehearsals/gigs with a loud drummer.

The reason ive been considering this is purely down to convenience - my current amp/cab setup is just a tad bit bulky, to fit into my car (BMW 520D saloon). The rack case I have with my POD/Poweramp etc in isnt too much of an issue, but the cab (Epifani UL310) is just an awkward shape and takes up tons of space in the rear of my car.

Now Im looking at the Gallien Krueger MB212-II, im not a huge fan of single speaker cabs and want something that has the right balance between low, mids and clear trebles.

Anyone got any experience with these cabs? Also anyone use Warwick basses with them, do they "fit" well together?

I`ve not used one of those, but did have a GK MB500 and if the sounds are similar I reckon it will do what you want. I usually recommend Markbass as small light and loud but think that the GK has a clearer treble, Markbass having a warmer sound to it.

Carvin BX700, Barefaced S12V, 2 basses, gig bag, stands, all in The Gargoyles Tigra convertible. Enough volume to bring down small planes.
GK MB500/GB Shuttle etc all will do the same. You will have no trouble shifting the Epi and B/F prices have dropped with the release of Gen 3.
Nice B/F compact will do the job as well.

I have the MB112-II, I bought it originally to use with my Blues Band for not so loud gigs, but ended up using it with the rock band too as it is so effing loud. My only minor criticism is it is very clean sounding, and i like a bit of 'fur' to my electric sound (which was resolved using an OD pedal), Sounds great with my upright as is.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1400009761' post='2449920']
Nice B/F compact will do the job as well.
[/quote]

Ticks all the boxes except (maybe) the requirement for treble. Depends on the OP's ears though - I never found my Compact to be lacking in top-end, but several other people have. If you are used to tweeters, the Compact may seem a bit "dark" in comparison.

Amazing mid-range though, which really sits nicely in any band mix (IMO).

Great deal if you can pick up a used one for £400 or less.

Well on thier own, I find them too lacking in definition, too thuddy, and just generally "missing" something - hard to describe but my ears just prefer a 2 or 3 speaker setup.

I would use a 1x15 coupled with a 4x10 or similar for large gigs, that would sound brilliant, but sadly I need something small and portable for the type of things do now.

I use a GenzBenz Streamliner 600 and Barefaced Midget for rehearsals and smaller gigs. Very portable, never been short of volume or rounded tone. Slightly more bite than the Compact. I use both cabs for bigger gigs or if I just feel like using both (paired the tone is sublime) but the Midget on its own is really good.

From a cold start I would now buy the Super Compact and just have the one cab but, having made the investment, I'll stick with what I have.

[quote name='lukeward2004' timestamp='1400317317' post='2452810']
Well on thier own, I find them too lacking in definition, too thuddy, and just generally "missing" something - hard to describe but my ears just prefer a 2 or 3 speaker setup.

I would use a 1x15 coupled with a 4x10 or similar for large gigs, that would sound brilliant, but sadly I need something small and portable for the type of things do now.
[/quote]

I use a pretty capable single 112 on its own for a not very discerning set up...like rehearsals, but it just doesn't do enough for my
needs so for gigs I'll always double it and it is much better. If I really had to, I could use one and get thru it, but I'd have to have
a horn.