Why become a member? ×

Zoom...B3 or M60B

Oopsdabassist

Guys, I just saw the other thread re the M60B and it got me thinking. I currently have a B9.1ut, which I am quite happy with, apart form the fact its HUGE! Having had it about a year I have managed to condense everything down to about 4 good sounds I use on a regular basis. The expression pedal is useful, but I have decided, not actually essential.

So what I need is a pedal that I can pre set with 3 or 4 distinct sounds and is easily switchable between them, and a tuner setting. From what I have read, both the B3 and the M60B do this, so I need your input to help me decide.

Enlighten me if you please :)

I've recently downsized from my b9.1ut too. I decided on an ms60b. The only thing I'd say is about the ms60b is that the patch selection mid gig is a tad fiddly (but not impossible). You have to press a knob then twist to select desired patch. I use it in a way that I just use one patch therefore the compactness of the unit greatly outweighs the fiddliness for me. It's not to say you can't swap patches mid set.

If I was going yo use a handful of presets I'd be more inclined to go with the b3 I think.

Sounwise my ms60b is just as good as the b9.1ut, so absolutely delighted with it in that regard. One thing I do miss from it is the up front eq section where u can make adjustments on the fly but on the ms60b again it's a matter of delving into menus to do that.

One extra point to think about is that the b3 can hold 3 effects in line, where the ms60b can do 4.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1399967157' post='2449324']
Hmmmm, can you set a 'default' sound then use the footswitch to dial in another sound? Tnx for the info.
[/quote]

I use my ms50b as 3 effects always on, then the 4th i switch on with the footswitch and edit with the dials mid performance. I believe you can cycle between a couple of presets with the footswitch instead of using it to bypass one effect (the one selected)

also, holding down the footswitch either switches to tuner mode, or tap tempo (i use neither, as i have a polytune, and like all my time base effects to be synced via midi)

I had the B3 Russ, and it was great. It would get my vote due to the DI, ideal for recording, using as a pre-amp if using a provided rig, or if your amp goes, straight into the PA. It does help if your own amp, or at least an amp by the same brand is featured in the amp-modelling section for this though. I just had my amp, a bit of compression, and a bit of drive, sounded great.

I have both but generally use the MS60B (very small stage footprint and fits nicely alongside a wireless receiver with a cranked jack connector). I have the four effects I most often use in one patch - in any one song I'll only switch one of them, though I may have more than one on, so I just use the left and right buttons to go to the effect I'll be switching.

I used to have a B2.1U, changed to single effects, then bought an MS60B, now don't use effects much so used it mainly for the tuner. Which i don't find to be very good at all, so now I use the Korg Pitchback that I had when I used single effects. But that is another story.

I found the MS60B easier to program than the B2.1U, and the quality of the effects I found to be much better. I quite liked the chorus/flange/phase bank, for example, and the amp and eq models also. Once you have combined and fiddled with the various effects to get a sound you want you can save it to a patch then flag them up for use with the footswitch. So then you only have to click on the footswitch to sequentially click through the various saved patches you have chosen. That worked ok in a live situation, but my use of effects was generally very limited - a different one for a few tracks then basic sound for most. I didn't ever switch between effects during a song but I think that would be possible by just saving the patches in the right order. You'd need to be very organised, though!

Thanks for all the replies guys, Paul S, thats the sort of thing I was hoping for, setting up 3 of 4 'sounds' and using the foot switch to cycle through em. Bit of a bummer about the bad tuner though, my B9 is pretty good for tuning. Lozz, good point about the DI, I always like that backup option, looks like a B3 might be the way to go. *heads off to for sale section* :)

If you want to cycle through patches with the footswitches rather than turning individual fx on and off, check out the B1on. It's stupid cheap and in some ways it's better than the B3 (newer effects, up to 5 fx simultaneously, built in expression pedal on the B1xon) if you can sacrifice the DI and USB audio interface.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1400835166' post='2457331']
Thanks for all the replies guys, Paul S, thats the sort of thing I was hoping for, setting up 3 of 4 'sounds' and using the foot switch to cycle through em. Bit of a bummer about the bad tuner though, my B9 is pretty good for tuning. Lozz, good point about the DI, I always like that backup option, looks like a B3 might be the way to go. *heads off to for sale section* :)
[/quote]

No issues with the tuner on either my 60B or B3.
I have both and a although on paper the 60B seems to have the advantage with its 4 effect slots i found it too fiddly to use live. The B3 seems more immediate and easier to change things in a live situation. The DI has a very nice tone and for a while replaced my BDDI. In the end i just didnt need effects live so stopped using both live.

My B3 is up for sale here ;-)
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237538-zoom-b3-for-sale/

Tnx for the updates guys, I bit the bullet and went for a b3 on Friday, just waiting for delivery now, Dave you post came up not long after I committed, your timing is TERRIBLE!!! ;)

[size=2]edit for arsey spelling[/size]

Edited by Oopsdabassist