Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on this bass

AntLockyer

I love the look of it but this "[color=#474747][font=FontinSansRegular]The neck pocket has had a small patch of wood routed and then a shim put in." [/font][/color]worries me a bit.

http://andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=559

What do you reckon that is all about? Is it too much money for the bass considering this butchery?

My Ibby has a little shim in the pocket too. Mines came straight from the factory 20 odd years ago.
I reckon it's to align the neck up with the body. They maybe thought it needed a little taken out & discovered that it needed more the other way.
With a bass that age, it might be hard to find out if this was done at factory or by someone else.
As for price, I've no idea. It's certainly tatty enough to warrant £2k. :yarr:

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1399796502' post='2447623']
I love the look of it but this "[color=#474747][font=FontinSansRegular]The neck pocket has had a small patch of wood routed and then a shim put in." [/font][/color]worries me a bit.

[url="http://andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=559"]http://andybaxterbas...ails.php?id=559[/url]

What do you reckon that is all about? Is it too much money for the bass considering this butchery?
[/quote]
Hi AntLockyer, Its quite common to put a shim under the neck, it helps to lower the action by raising the neck if there is no more adjustment at the bridge. I've recently done it to my 1986 Fender jazz and it plays like a dream. The bass in question needs to be played for you to get a feel for it. Providing the action has been set up properly the shim shouldnt be a problem and nothing to worry about.
Its a lot of money to spend on a bass if your unsure about it.

Shims have never bothered me; the neck's held tight by four screws and I doubt the presence of a shim would do much to affect rigidity/sustain. When it's a choice between having a shim or putting up with an imperfect action I know which I'd choose.

Shims are really common in '70's (and '80's) Fenders. Wouldn't bother me at all.

It may be a shade expensive but the weight of 8.6lbs massively increases desirability and value. I've bought and sold many '70's Fenders over the last few years and it's amazing how many people ask how much they weigh before they even think about how they might sound.

A nice playing early 70's P with a good core tone, and in a desirable colour, that's under 9lbs could easily command a value about £200 - £300 than a comparable one that comes in at 10-11lbs.

Given the high premium on vintage instruments, I think the first thing you always need to ask is whether a "modification" has been carried out to obfuscate the true date of manufacture or origin of the part in question.

Why would a tech route the neck pocket rather than using a shim?

This mod has removed original date stamps from the neck pocket(assuming the body matches the neck and was actually made by fender), so I would steer well clear.