Why become a member? ×

Help a newbie decide

Middleofnowhere

Hi all,

I would like to start playing the bass over the summer and am looking for some advice on a few basses i have been looking at.
i know i would be best off going to a few shops and having a look and feel, but at the moment i just don't have the time, I live in the country side and can't drive being the biggest problem. Just a note I also have smallish hands.

Anyway I was looking at a few online in the £200 - £300 range:

Ibanez sr300
Squire Vintage modified Jaguar
Cort Action DLX
and also saw an Overwater by Tanglewood classic J for about £220.

If anyone has any advice about the above that would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you are worried about the neck with small hands (whether you should be is another subject), then Ibanez's are renowned for their thin necks. SR300s are apparently well thought after too. It is an active bass though, so you will have to add learning the pre-amp settings to your beginner list too.
I think Jazz Basses are normally a good starting point, if thin necks are preferred. The Classic J is well respected but I wouldn't discount Squiers or Harley Bentons (from Thomann).

Worth thinking about what kind of sound/look you're after too - the Ibanez is a good modern styled bass. If you're going for classic styles I'd look at the Squire VM Jazz.

You can't really go wrong with the Squire's at that price point, though if you did a bit of reading around & searching you might be able to pick something a bit more fancy up in the classifieds on here...

Hi Midleofnowhere and welcome to BC.

Unfortunately you have come to the wrong place to find advice to help you narrow your choices down to one instrument, and I'm surprised no-one's yet offered you guidance to make the correct choice regarding your dilemma.

So let me be the first. Buy all three.

The simple fact is, if you're going to hang around here, that will happen anyway. And that will only be the beginning.

One is never enough, and for many of us, neither is ten. Or twenty. :D

Jon.

I started with an Ibanez SR300 and I can't recommend it enough as a starter bass. I think it more than holds its own when compared to some other basses costing twice the price.

You might even be able pick up an SR 500/700 on here for similar money to a new SR300.

I may be wrong but I think the Squier Jaguar has a shorter scale length than the others you mention. Thats not a bad thing though - just something to be aware of.

*Edit* Oh and welcome to Basschat! :)

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

Thanks for the reply's, guys.

What is the finish like on the J&D bass?
In terms of look I like both the old school J style as well as the more modern clean cut look. Sound wise I would like some thing quite punchy (listen too and would like to play a variety of rock, from ska-punk to 70's and 80's metal.

Thanks Bassassin, there goes my wallet.
Have heard (i mean read) a lot of good things about ibanez and will def check out the for sale section. Think the jaguar comes in both short and full scale.

Cheers

Welcome on board middleofnowhere!

The good news is that all of the basses you've picked out in your first post would make a fine starter bass.

To help us help you make the right decision it would be great to understand what style of music you would like to play, or any particular bassist's tone that you would like to replicate. That way we can try and narrow down some of those options for you, because you currently have a very broad spectrum of options!

To give you an example - I remember before I even started playing I always picked out Mark Hoppus' bass tone on blink-182 records as a sound that I loved. Once I started playing I learnt that it was the sound of a Precision bass through an Ampeg amp - knowing this was the sort of gear that would lead me to the sound I wanted to emulate really helped shape my purchase decisions, and I've pretty much played Precision basses ever since.

If you want, you can post some links to YouTube videos of particular tracks where you like the sound of the bass and we can try and pick out the best gear to get you close to that. Within your budget obviously :)

Cheers,

Dave

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1399633280' post='2446061']
LONG RAMBLING POST
[/quote]

I spent so long writing that that you'd already answered my questions!

Based on your post above I'm going to throw in a couple of curve balls.

1. Squier Deluxe Active Jazz. Imagine a Jazz on steroids. Very highly regarded on here, within your budget, versatile 3 band EQ so you can shape your tone and dial in that 'punch' that you're after. It also looks freaking cool.

2. Sterling by MusicMan SUB 4. Based on the king of punchy basses the MusicMan Stingray this has a different look to the other options you picked out, but has the slim 38mm Jazz style neck and for me fits the description of the tone you're after to the letter. They're slightly over £300 new but come up for sale at good prices on here every now and then.

Good luck!

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-deluxe-jazz-bass-iv-active-black/56605

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/sub-by-sterling-ray4-music-man-white/70598

Edited by theyellowcar

Welcome Middleofnowhere!

Here's some thoughts:
What kind of music do you want to play? Do you have any bassplayers who's sound you like? Check out what basses they play.

Does your budget include amplification?
A small bass amp&speaker combo or a usb interface to run it through a computer will give you more joy in learning than plonking away acoustically on an electric bass.

Buy secondhand, for instance from someone here that has gotten some positive feedback.
There are never any guarantees but it improves the chance of getting a decent quality instrument at a good price, which will still be worth something by the time you move on to your next bass.

That all said, I played an Ibanez sr500 for some years, good times!
I have no experience with the other instruments you mentioned, but I think as long as they aren't broken they'll be fine. Have fun!

Ok so seen a few you tube vids on that sterling and love the sound and style is pretty cool especially in the walnut, pushing the limits of my budget but is def a maybe.

Bass player i like, Matt Wong (ex Reel big fish) Matt freeman ( Operation ivy, Rancid) would like to play similar style.

I have a separate budget for amp ext.

will be hunting the second hand market here, also any online music shops that are likely to give discounts?

I am not in a rush, so still have time to make a desissions and also get paid...

[quote name='Middleofnowhere' timestamp='1399638848' post='2446143']
Ok so seen a few you tube vids on that sterling and love the sound and style is pretty cool especially in the walnut, pushing the limits of my budget but is def a maybe.

Bass player i like, Matt Wong (ex Reel big fish) Matt freeman ( Operation ivy, Rancid) would like to play similar style.

I have a separate budget for amp ext.

will be hunting the second hand market here, also any online music shops that are likely to give discounts?

I am not in a rush, so still have time to make a desissions and also get paid...
[/quote]

You have excellent taste in music :D

Matt Wong played a 5 string MusicMan Stingray with Reel Big Fish so the SUB would be bang on. Matt Freeman actually plays Precision basses exclusively - he has his own Squier signature Precision but it would be a stretch on your budget (£370 new). The other thing to consider with Precisions is they have slightly wider neck profiles so if that is a concern you should probably steer clear.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1399631768' post='2446023']
Hi Midleofnowhere and welcome to BC.

Unfortunately you have come to the wrong place to find advice to help you narrow your choices down to one instrument, and I'm surprised no-one's yet offered you guidance to make the correct choice regarding your dilemma.

So let me be the first. Buy all three.

The simple fact is, if you're going to hang around here, that will happen anyway. And that will only be the beginning.

One is never enough, and for many of us, neither is ten. Or twenty. :D

Jon.
[/quote]

He sounds like he's joking but this is probably what will happen if you hang around the "For sale " thread.

I played a MM Sub at the LBGS earlier this year - very impressed for a bass in this price bracket....You could do much worse...whatever you choose to go for, consider secondhand over new and let somebody else take the big hit in depreciation - this puts other gear in your price bracket.

If you are after a stingray, you could do a lot worse than a package deal that's currently in the For Sale section (near the top). If you decide bass isn't for you, you won't lose money on this deal when it comes to resale.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice, seems like a great community. Any way I managed to get a Overwater by Tanglewood classic J on ebay for £122. Not my first choice but I think it was a good deal for my first bass. It should arrive by friday :D :yarr: (don't know why I put the pirate, but he looks cool).

Cheers

[quote name='Middleofnowhere' timestamp='1399925734' post='2449102']
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice, seems like a great community. Any way I managed to get a Overwater by Tanglewood classic J on ebay for £122. Not my first choice but I think it was a good deal for my first bass. It should arrive by friday :D :yarr: (don't know why I put the pirate, but he looks cool).

Cheers
[/quote]

Congrats! That's a proper bargain!

[quote name='Middleofnowhere' timestamp='1399925734' post='2449102']
Hey guys,

Cheers
[/quote]

I think you did OK...they play and feel really good for the money, assuming everything's OK with it £122 it was a steal. I wish my first bass was as good as one of these.

There have been several sold on ebay recently for silly money - glad you managed to benefit from this...

Remember to stay away from the "For sale" thread.

Edited by TheGreek