Why become a member? ×

Exposed pots on MM Stingray

Does anyone know of any reason why I can't make the top of a MM Stingray pick up deeper (THICKER). The exposed pots are catching my fingers when I dig in. Pick up is at the correct height and sound great but my plucking fingers tend to take a battering each time I play. Was thinking maybe a piece of black plastic the thickness of the highest pole would do the trick with 8 holes drilled to leave the pots themselves exposed. Any ideas or suggestions?

I reckon that would be fine - easier than changing the whole pick up :rolleyes: like I did for the same reason on my AV'57 :D

Edit: BTW The sticking up bits are pole pieces not pots <_<

Edited by KiOgon

I thought you had some plastic in mind for the job! Something like this would do:- [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-962-GLOSS-FINISH-ACRYLIC-PLASTIC-SHEET-CAST-PERSPEX-3-SHEETS-80MM-X-135MM-/201085765858?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ed1a548e2"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ed1a548e2 [/url]
How thick do you need?

Edited by KiOgon

Cheers guys for your thoughts and suggestions. The brain storming has given me the answer. Took off the strings, removed the pickup cover and packed the inside with some strips of rubber cut to fit in the corners, whole job took less than half an hour. Gig tomorrow night will prove if 100% effective.

You maybe interested to know that I posted the same question on the Ernie Ball Musicman Forum. An idiot tried to tell me to change my technique, and that he had never heard the problem before. I explained that I had been playing both semi-pro and pro for over 40 years and that even if my technique was bad it's a bit late to change. He even suggested I tried a pick. All this kind advice without a word about if my proposed idea could work.

You can push the poles in so they are flush with the pup cover. Ideally with the strings off or loosened so you can gain access. You can't push too hard as they will stop when your fingers reach the pup cover. I did this to even them out as I was experiencing quieter D & G strings. But of course there is no such problem over at the EBM forum, as you have found out!

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1399583006' post='2445700']
You can push the poles in so they are flush with the pup cover. Ideally with the strings off or loosened so you can gain access. You can't push too hard as they will stop when your fingers reach the pup cover. I did this to even them out as I was experiencing quieter D & G strings. But of course there is no such problem over at the EBM forum, as you have found out!
[/quote]

Hi, yes, have read about this, but, ruled this out as I am more than happy with my sound so decided to look for a solution that wouldn't affect my sound. All sounds good at the moment but the real test will be at the gig tomorrow night when I will find out if I have set the pickup to the right height.

[quote name='wal4string' timestamp='1399581454' post='2445681']
Cheers guys for your thoughts and suggestions. The brain storming has given me the answer. Took off the strings, removed the pickup cover and packed the inside with some strips of rubber cut to fit in the corners, whole job took less than half an hour. Gig tomorrow night will prove if 100% effective.

You maybe interested to know that I posted the same question on the Ernie Ball Musicman Forum. An idiot tried to tell me to change my technique, and that he had never heard the problem before. I explained that I had been playing both semi-pro and pro for over 40 years and that even if my technique was bad it's a bit late to change. He even suggested I tried a pick. All this kind advice without a word about if my proposed idea could work.
[/quote]

:lol: that's the EBMM forum for you... any modification to an EBMM instrument is to be avoided at all costs, and in some cases you could be declared a traitor and a reward offered for your head, watch out! :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1399916384' post='2448944']

:blink: don't!

a bit of cardboard inside the cover will do the trick, as suggested.
[/quote]
Why not?
Just rounding off the edge won't even take off a 1mm slant. The fact that MM does it to their own polepieces now says enough.
It's not going to remove so much material as to reduce the strength of the magnetic field.

The cardboard will work too though ;)

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1400010246' post='2449930']
Why not?
Just rounding off the edge won't even take off a 1mm slant. The fact that MM does it to their own polepieces now says enough.
It's not going to remove so much material as to reduce the strength of the magnetic field.

The cardboard will work too though ;)
[/quote]

oh, not saying it would not work, just that it seemed much more complex than other methods. Filing a magnet also will get you lots of fine magnetic dust that's going to be really hard to remove.

If you wanted to, you could tap the polepieces down a bit, preserving the profile. That will also be a solution, and less messy. A lot of people do that trying to get a more even response between strings although I have never tried myself.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1400010246' post='2449930']
Why not?
[/quote]

I think that MM probably bevel their polepieces before the pickup is wound and assembled. As well as leaving fine magnetic and conductive filings everywhere, alnico is quite a brittle alloy and I'd worry that going at it with hand tools could chip or crack it.
I'd avoid tapping polepieces up or down too. It's safe enough on pickups wound on plastic bobbins, but I think most MM pickups use fibre flatwork with the coil wound straight on to the poles (I'm not a MM player, so correct me if I'm wrong here). While you might be lucky and get away with it, you could easily break a turn on the inside of the coil and kill the pickup.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1400061309' post='2450262'] I'd avoid tapping polepieces up or down too. It's safe enough on pickups wound on plastic bobbins, but I think most MM pickups use fibre flatwork with the coil wound straight on to the poles (I'm not a MM player, so correct me if I'm wrong here). While you might be lucky and get away with it, you could easily break a turn on the inside of the coil and kill the pickup. [/quote]

Could be, I don't know. I know many tried successfully (check out threads about Stingray weak G syndrome ;)) but I would be a bit worried to try. Lifting the cover a bit using a thin insert seems like a simpler and harmless method for the OP's problem. As for the weak G, it does not exist, just ask at the EBMM forum :P ;)