Why become a member? ×

Scott's Bass Academy

TheGreek

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1398949854' post='2439307']
I really need to brush up my skills and am undecided whether to go for these online type teachings or go for some proper lessons.....i tend to think i will glean more from getting a good bass tutor but don't know what to do :-$
[/quote]

In the first instance, why not check out Scott's free lessons on You Tube and see how you get on.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1398956625' post='2439428']

In the first instance, why not check out Scott's free lessons on You Tube and see how you get on.
[/quote]

I have to be fair and they're pretty good but i'm not sure if i'd get more out of a few hours of proper tuition?

I'd definitely recommend the academy. I really think it is great value for money and the amount of content is massive. I can't always keep up with the output of material! He's also in the near future going to release two full courses that will be part of the membership only - technique deep dive and then a complete course linking and explaining scales and arpeggios. And naturally it will be done the usual Scott way where he seems to make everything easier. I'm particularly looking forward to the latter course.

Also the forum there is great with loads of people giving help and advice. Some people could spend the cost of membership on a night out. So if you think of it like that, it isn't too expensive!!!'

I like Scott's Bass Lessons, but I'm not good enough to begin the course.
His program of lessons I've got seems to start with how to hold the bass and alternate your fingers, then jumps to stuff that's beyond my ability. I've never found anything much that's in the middle ground. Probably I'm just being thick.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1398970198' post='2439624']
His program of lessons I've got seems to start with how to hold the bass and alternate your fingers, then jumps to stuff that's beyond my ability. I've never found anything much that's in the middle ground. Probably I'm just being thick.
[/quote]

You're not being thick i find myself in the same boat with online type learning. That's why i'm ebbing on the side of getting a real live person to teach me.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1398970198' post='2439624']
[/quote]

I don't think you are being thick. I think you make a real good point of where do you best go after the beginners course. There is so much information (and misinformation) out on the net it is difficult to decide what you should and shouldn't practice. I posted a comment about this on the SBL academy forum. Scott's team are pretty good at taking feedback and trying to fill in the gaps of what is missing. Maybe they have a next steps course already planned. I'll let you know what they say.

I've always thought that Scott makes the lessons accessible and easy to understand. The only time I've even come close to understanding modes is his video on the subject. The other thing with his videos is, if you don't get it first time you can always watch it over till you do...

I'm not currently in a position to join the academy but for less than the price of a packet of fags per week it can't be bad...

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1398982134' post='2439783']

You're not being thick i find myself in the same boat with online type learning. That's why i'm ebbing on the side of getting a real live person to teach me.
[/quote]
I got a lot better quickly with a real teacher. My confidence grew quite a lot too

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1398982134' post='2439783']
[/quote]

I take lessons, but I also like Scott's way of teaching. I've watched a few online lessons and his seem to be the best as far as laying out a lesson properly and going through its steps. I think the trick with online lessons is to take what you can and leave the rest--instead of getting hung up and then giving up. Some online lessons feature a teacher/player who will show quite a bit of nice playing but be light on the teaching end. Scott does both, from the videos I've watched.

One great advantage among many of a live teacher is that you can ask questions, and I always have a dozen . . . talk about thick! There's [i]no[/i] substitute for a solidly grounded teacher; online stuff just about has to be secondary.

W.

Edited by Wylie

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1399035192' post='2440275']
I've always thought that Scott makes the lessons accessible and easy to understand. The only time I've even come close to understanding modes is his video on the subject. The other thing with his videos is, if you don't get it first time you can always watch it over till you do...

I'm not currently in a position to join the academy but for less than the price of a packet of fags per week it can't be bad...
[/quote]
The 2 modes lessons are, I think, a relatively recent addition to the list of lessons. In fairness to Scott I recon he's become aware of the gap and is working on filling it.

Scott's a lovely amusing guy. I enjoy watching all the lessons and sometimes get something out of it. TBH I think the majority of folk who will get something out of Scotts lessons are those who are playing regularly, probably in a band and used to jamming out bass lines and are now wanting to put some structured theory behind what they do. I only wish that was where I am. I'll get there, I guess.

Hey guys thanks for checking out my vids... Thought I'd just bob on here and say thanks!

In regards to learning online vs one to one - I think both are great. I don't think online will replace one to one - yet. I think as Skype and things like it advance we're going to see some pretty radical changes with online education. I'm suuuuper excited to see where it goes!

I've got pretty big plans for the SBL Academy in the future and will be looking at bringing in community members from other universities and music schools to help advise and hang with the members, and hopefully do one one to one's too. My vision is a online hub for anyone wanting to push their bass playing to the next level, including the facility to get one to one tuition - but from bass educators that are recommended by many other students. I've got a list of guys I'd love to get involved... but that's top secret for now ;)

Anyway... thanks again for the discussion guys!

Scott.

PS. Maldy... i'll see you in the Campus man ;)

Edited by devinebass

The free lessons on YouTube Scott has done are fantastic, been through a few but admittedly not enough lol.

The SBL academy sounds great and I'd enrol if I could musts the mullah.

I hope the great work continues though as it's a valuable resource in my eyes.