Why become a member? ×

Small towns breed interesting bands?

Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398853226' post='2438197']
I think the internet breeds certain time wasters who dream of being in a band but can't actually play/organise/do anything as they don't put the effort in. Good old wanted posters used to cause less fuss.
[/quote]

I certainly agree with that! :)

I think the internet breeds certain time wasters who dream of being in a band but can't actually play/organise/do anything as they don't put the effort in. Good old wanted posters used to cause less fuss.
[/quote]

Don't trust the Internet.... Get out there and talk to people. Get to know them. Get to know their peers. That's the best way to connect with like-minded people.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398852398' post='2438179']
Nottingham is, in my opinion, still a really good place for music.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that, but IMO it's also a very difficult place to break out of.

With the exception of Jake Bugg (and he's still to prove that he has any serious longevity as an artist) all the successful Nottingham musicians have done so by moving away from the city and pretty much severing any connection with it (cf. Stereo MCs and Tindersticks).

When I moved here in 1980 there was a thriving post-punk scene with a multitude of diverse bands all of whom deserved to be successful. AFAIK the only musician who was did it my moving back in Manchester, abandoning pop music and becoming a classical composer!

It's partly the "Nottingham Syndrome" that is responsible for the Terrortones playing the majority of their gigs elsewhere.

[/quote]

I'd certainly agree with that. Join My Band type web sites make it all to easy for bedroom warriors to click reply on an ad but not have the conviction/courage whatever to actually follow it up. When I first started playing the only really way to join a band was to get out their and meet people. If you get yourself together enough to go to the local music shop and look at the ads, take down the details, phone up the contact number and then go and meet the people, you were less likely to be a total time waster.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1398854021' post='2438219']
People keep telling me that Nottingham is a really big student town ... does that not translate into enthusiastic audiences?
[/quote]

Aye I imagine. Just something about the scene whilst I was there made me appreciate it as a city. It's not a huge place, and still has bars where everyone knows each other like a town would that I originate from.

At the time I was involved in both the 'modern' punk scene (Nottingham seems pretty big on alternative music) and the more commercial indie scene (bands like Bloc Party/The Killers had just hit the big time).

Both were great, and some great venues (which Newcastle also has, especially the City Hall!).

I might have to try a different approach.

People keep telling me that Nottingham is a really big student town ... does that not translate into enthusiastic audiences?
[/quote]

Depends on the band. Plenty of people around to see the big names at the Arena, and Rock City, and the better known smaller names at the Rescue Rooms. However if you haven't reached that level yet then your replying on people who are more interested than average in going to see bands. These days that doesn't really appear to be students.

Nottingham University campus is on the outskirts of the city and so travelling into the centre becomes an issue. Also the days of the "university gig" are long gone. Back in the 80s there were lots of gigs available for local bands at the University in the student bar or campus halls parties and you could find yourself sharing the stage with some very well known bands.

[/quote]

Jack, you used the words 'student' and 'enthusiastic' in the same sentence...