Why become a member? ×

Show your Fodera's

dudi8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hmmmm can I hang around here and sulk?

Would it be worth selling everything I own for a fodera?

If a "one bass to rule them all" exists, would it be one of these?

I have to admit I'm a bit marmite about them. Sometimes I drool over the MGS and AJ Presentation models. Other times I think they're just a peculiar shape. But expensive to take a punt on one! Although they seem to sell on the pre loved market too. Maybe one day.....

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1432228541' post='2779488']
Hmmmm can I hang around here and sulk?

Would it be worth selling everything I own for a fodera?

If a "one bass to rule them all" exists, would it be one of these?

I have to admit I'm a bit marmite about them. Sometimes I drool over the MGS and AJ Presentation models. Other times I think they're just a peculiar shape. But expensive to take a punt on one! Although they seem to sell on the pre loved market too. Maybe one day.....
[/quote]

There is a difficulty here that I think a lot of people have an expectation of every Fodera bass to absolutely blow their socks off....which simply isn't going to happen. Regardless of how well any bass is made, it's not going to talk to everyone. As such I'd always be wary of buying someone else's custom build if you're unsure about a spec that suits you. Either order a custom with a spec that you have experimented with before, or check out the Fodera standard series basses. These mean you can order a bass knowing exactly what it will feel like, but it still being a hand-built instrument, which is what I did.

Si

Agreed. Like anything else they're not for everyone and going for a standard is the safe bet if you've never experienced Fodera before.
I think that the Fodera guys have gone wrong on the standard only on one thing. The name.
IMO they should have simply call the standards with the model name and the customs with model name + custom.
i.e. "Fodera Emperor 5" (for the current E5S model) and "Fodera Emperor Custom 5" for the same model tailored to customer's specs.
People often assume they're not to the level of their custom line but they're wrong.
Take the Matt Garrison Standard as an example: it's just a custom you didn't choose the woods. Only difference with a Matt Garrison Custom is the bridge (made by hipshot on the standard and by HazLab on the custom) and that's pretty a non significant difference.
The other standard models, aside from the bridge, have two difference with the custom: the preamp and the one piece neck with flat headstock. Again, non significant differences in my book: the prized Anthony Jackson Presentation model has no preamp at all, and the Mike Pope Viceroy have a one piece bolt-on neck with the flat headstock. Ask both guys if they care...
I'm glad I went with a MGS over a custom Imperial as I saved lots of money without choosing an expensive top (and the box-elder burl top happened to be a really nice one).
I'm now thinking about moving it because I suspect a double cut model will suit me best, but If I'll ever make the move then I'll undoubtely go for an Emperor Standard.

Boom! Fodera are great but not for everyone

Works for me :)
[URL=http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Houmann/media/IMG_3063_zps01f85ed7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/Houmann/IMG_3063_zps01f85ed7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Houmann/media/Emp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/Houmann/Emp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

These single cuts are really not helping me!!

Remember when you were younger, probably in school, a teenager. There was a girl you'd argue and banter with, turns out it's because you were attracted to her but always denied it.

That girls name is Fodera! It all starts to make sense now.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 25/07/2018 at 15:14, Auslander said:

Here my Fodera Hybrid AJ shape with spruce top and back, alder body, three pieces red oak neck, ebony fingerboard, titanium bridge and trussrod.

Perfectly balanced, great sustain and very large and HI-FI sound. 

20180725_160847.jpg

20180725_160857.jpg

20180725_160906.jpg

Incredible!!

Si