Why become a member? ×

Observation about the P pickup in a Yamaha BB

Greggo

Just a mild curiosity really, but on a Yamaha BB (well the current line up , but possibly on older models too) is the P pickup in the same relative position as it would be on a fender P?

THe P- pickup is around the middle of the body on both basses between the bridge and the last fret/end of the neck. However on the Fender P it appears that there is a much larger distance between each points compared to the Yamaha?

Is this just an opitcal illisio because the Fender P has a bigger body? And does this mean that the pickup in yamaha will never be the 'correct' P position? Like I said, just curious, or it could be an optical illusion when Im seeing both basses (in person not just the pics!)

Edited by Greggo

Just measured my BB1025X and my USA P - measuring from pivot of the G saddle to the middle of the pcikup, the BB is about 4mm closer to the neck. Probably not enough to make a discernible difference! Not all BBs may be the same though.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1397151775' post='2421252']
If you measure the current BB line-up. THe pickup is a little closer to the neck than for a Fender P. My ears hear the difference.
[/quote]

I think it might have been yourself that mentioned that it is a bit rounder and darker than a normal P.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1397148478' post='2421208']
The Yamaha has one more fret, so distance from the end of the neck would not be a useful comparison to make.
[/quote]

Exactly, and even if not the shape of neck heels varies enough to make 4mm a function of shape as much as length. Distance from bridge or from 12th fret, in both cases assuming same scale length as Fenders

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1397151775' post='2421252']
If you measure the current BB line-up. THe pickup is a little closer to the neck than for a Fender P. My ears hear the difference.
[/quote]

And just to clarify I do mean the pickup to 12th fret distance.

It's interesting to note that the original BBs (at least, my old '84 BB400S) had the P pickup reversed:

This was fairly common in Japanese basses of the era (my Washburn SB40 also has this) and I suppose theoretically it might brighten the response of the E & A strings - although I think you'd be hard pushed to notice. I did think on the BB it made the pickup a slightly more conveniently placed thumb-anchor than a standard P layout.

Unfortunately I don't have the bass any longer so I can't measure the position. Anyone else got an original BB?

Jon.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1397150591' post='2421234']
Distance from 12th fret to pickup centreline is a fairly standard way of doing it. On a standard P it's 295mm to centreline of the two pickup halves
[/quote]

This was being discussed on another thread last week, ta for the measurement there.
My recently acquired BB415 measures the same which makes me happy.
Can't believe I've ignored these BB's for so long, brilliant basses!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1397234937' post='2422126']
It's interesting to note that the original BBs (at least, my old '84 BB400S) had the P pickup reversed:

This was fairly common in Japanese basses of the era (my Washburn SB40 also has this) and I suppose theoretically it might brighten the response of the E & A strings - although I think you'd be hard pushed to notice. I did think on the BB it made the pickup a slightly more conveniently placed thumb-anchor than a standard P layout.

Unfortunately I don't have the bass any longer so I can't measure the position. Anyone else got an original BB?

Jon.
[/quote]

294mm to the centre of the gap between the halves of the pup.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1397147385' post='2421192']
Assuming the same scale length I guess it's distance from the bridge that determines tone?
[/quote]

Yes. Have a go on a Westone Rail some time; a startling progression of tone, purely from pickup position. (I'd guess they aren't your thing, but the experiment is well worthwhile if you have the chance.)