Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squier Chris Aiken Precision

JackieMoon

Today I acquired a Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass. In short it is marvelous. Sounds great, no fussing about with anything bar eq'ing a bit on the amp. The neck is superb, one of the nicest playing necks I've laid hands on. Fit and finish is all fine and for the pricepoint I genuinely can't fault anything on it.

Verdict: Highly Recommended!

I had a looky at one of these online a few days ago, it's a bit 'flash' looking for me, bright white finish, mirror pickguard and white inlays on the fretboard (and a single control?? I like my tone choices) but i'm not surprised that it's a good bass. Squier seem to be churning out some great guitars at the mo. My current fave is the Matt Freeman sig bass, which is pretty similar but love the Olympic white/black colour combo.

[quote name='dazza14' timestamp='1397130977' post='2420959']
My current fave is the Matt Freeman sig bass, which is pretty similar but love the Olympic white/black colour combo.
[/quote]

That's my favourite colour combo too - with a maple neck.
I was very close to buying a Matt Freeman and may yet do so if Lady Fortune doesn't vomit on my duvet again.
The Chris Aiken I like too, but I'd have to put a black pickguard on it... and a tone control - even though I'll never use it. ;)

I am doing just that! I can tolerate the mirror guard but the plan was always to mod it, just saying it wouldn't need it if you wanted to leave it stock. I have a SD SPB-2 (not a huge fan of quarter pounders) , US wiring kit and a black pickguard to go on it. Also doing full copper shield on the cavity etc. I shall post some pics once mods are complete!

[quote name='JackieMoon' timestamp='1397150758' post='2421236']
I am doing just that! I can tolerate the mirror guard but the plan was always to mod it, just saying it wouldn't need it if you wanted to leave it stock. I have a SD SPB-2 (not a huge fan of quarter pounders) , US wiring kit and a black pickguard to go on it. Also doing full copper shield on the cavity etc. I shall post some pics once mods are complete!
[/quote]

Very good! I'm not a fan of Quarter-Pounders either. You do the mods then sell it to me. :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397153466' post='2421276']
Very good! I'm not a fan of Quarter-Pounders either. You do the mods then sell it to me. :P
[/quote] I always thought Quarter-pounders were supposed to be the bees knees but when I tried them I was not blown away and they were not that good quality IMO anyway back on topic nice bass :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got one myself an astounding bass for the money , neck is almost jazz profile , great tone , i am happy with the pups i just changed over to Elixir strings lowered the action . and sorted.

Edited by geofio

I tried one at Absolute music in Poole on holiday last year and was blown away with it. I'd have bought one if I had room in the car.
In fact I will get one next week. :blush:

(Why did you have to bring it up :gas: )

[quote name='JackieMoon' timestamp='1399323293' post='2443176']
Indonesia instead of China. But in all honesty it makes zero difference.
[/quote]

I had a great example of an Indonesian Squier recently and I completely agree. It's interesting that they effectively value the Chinese labour at £100+ more than the Indonesian. Given the components are all identical and the QC is there or thereabouts!