Why become a member? ×

NBD 1977 Stingray

Foxx

[attachment=159681:SRFront.jpg]
That now sits in my house, all original bar satin re-fin body, which I thought looked ace, the sound is incredible, tryed for years to create something like it, but never really succeeded, until now.
Reckon I might get the body clear coated though at some point, the finish is nice, but being gloss would really set it off i think.

Has the original mute springs, but the foam rubber is long since gone, planning on replacing it with the neoprene stuff that goes under jazz bass pickups, about the right dimensions when cut to length i reckon.

But either way, happy as a pig in **** now. :D

Edited by Foxx

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1396944075' post='2418886']
Not a stingray fan, but that looks mighty fine!
[/quote]
I have to admit, after playing one I'm a total convert now. :gas: :rolleyes:

Edited by Foxx

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1396952082' post='2418976']
Was that on BassDirect!? Had my eye on that too! ;) I've just gone for a black/maple 83 'ray, perhaps not golden-era but it sounds sooooo good, and my Y.O.B bass! Can't wait to get my grubby hands on it...
[/quote]

It was mate, had been looking at the page daily for a week now, and decided to go for it. :D
MIne was originally black, has some original paint left in the battery box, they do look spot on like that I think.

Edited by Foxx

• 3 weeks later...

I got this last week, but I've been a bit slack!...So, belated new (old) Stingray day!!!

[URL=http://s66.photobucket.com/user/albakio/media/20140428_084555.jpg.html][IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/albakio/20140428_084555.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It's a 1978/79 (neck is 1978, body unknown, pots 1979). I do believe this bass has previously belonged to a couple of Basschatters!?...Make yourselves know if so! ;)

Oh yeah, and it is a BEAST!!! :)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1398680500' post='2436398']
I got this last week, but I've been a bit slack!...So, belated new (old) Stingray day!!!

[url="http://s66.photobucket.com/user/albakio/media/20140428_084555.jpg.html"][/url]

It's a 1978/79 (neck is 1978, body unknown, pots 1979). I do believe this bass has previously belonged to a couple of Basschatters!?...Make yourselves know if so! ;)

Oh yeah, and it is a BEAST!!! :)
[/quote]
HAHA! Tables have turned, I enquired about that one at andy baxter after being converted by my red one, only to be told it was gone. haha! (planned on chopping in my 93 EB ray and a precision, or two :blush: )
Looks a real beauty, nice one! ;)

[quote name='Foxx' timestamp='1398694664' post='2436626']
HAHA! Tables have turned, I enquired about that one at andy baxter after being converted by my red one, only to be told it was gone. haha! (planned on chopping in my 93 EB ray and a precision, or two :blush: )
Looks a real beauty, nice one! ;)
[/quote]

Ahhh, haha! Oh, I'm sorry, though very glad I got in there when I did then! ;) I was going to go for a different one, but changed my mind when I played that one at Andy B's! It's a truly fantastic bass :) Just keep an eye on Andy's site, he's had so many great 'rays through there, he's bound to have another cracker in in no time!

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1398688359' post='2436528']
Amazing. They could be sisters! :lol:

Has yours got a brass nut on it? How do you find that if so, does it improve things?
[/quote]

Oh absolutely, it's so, well, brass coloured!

In reality, naah. I suppose I don't have one with a plastic nut to compare, but fretted notes are fretted anyway and the occasional open note sounds like an open note. There are a couple of Stinrgrays on the database from that age with a brass nut. Not sure if they made a batch at the factory or it was just a fashionable modification of the time. Looks cool if you polish it (for a week or so).

Still got the original damper pads, now lumps of formless goo.

Just back from using it at a rehearsal. Best basses in the world!

[quote name='Foxx' timestamp='1396915732' post='2418809']
[attachment=159681:SRFront.jpg]
That now sits in my house, all original bar satin re-fin body, which I thought looked ace, the sound is incredible, tryed for years to create something like it, but never really succeeded, until now.
Reckon I might get the body clear coated though at some point, the finish is nice, but being gloss would really set it off i think.

Has the original mute springs, but the foam rubber is long since gone, planning on replacing it with the neoprene stuff that goes under jazz bass pickups, about the right dimensions when cut to length i reckon.

But either way, happy as a pig in **** now. :D
[/quote]

It is, of course, totally gorgeous, especially in that red and, yes, gloss would be great.

Get thick stuff for the pads. I cut up a mouse pad for my Sabre, but they didn't reach the strings when wound up!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1398729231' post='2437105']

Just back from using it at a rehearsal. Best basses in the world!
[/quote]

They are just lovely...I cannot believe how good and loud mine sounds just acoustically, before the preamp even gets involved! :) It's just so different to any EB Stingray I've ever played!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1398729383' post='2437106']
Get thick stuff for the pads. I cut up a mouse pad for my Sabre, but they didn't reach the strings when wound up!
[/quote]

I did use the stuff that goes under jazz bass pickups in the end, the dimensions are as near as dammit to the originals, and seems to do the job nicely, plus its already self adhesive on the back. :D

The mute pads on pre EB basses were never much good. One simply fell off my 79 when it was a couple of weeks old.

Not sure why you guys are cutting up mouse mats and the like. EBMM do the mute kits as a part (you can probably order them from Strings and Things). Apart from slightly larger diameter thumb screws they are the same. If you didn't want to fit the whole kit you could cut off the pads and then superglue them on your pre EB chrome plate.

The mute pads on pre EB basses were never much good. One simply fell off my 79 when it was a couple of weeks old.

Not sure why you guys are cutting up mouse mats and the like. EBMM do the mute kits as a part (you can probably order them from Strings and Things). Apart from slightly larger diameter thumb screws they are the same I think. If you didn't want to fit the whole kit you could cut off the pads and then superglue them on your pre EB chrome plate.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1398792130' post='2437661']

Not sure why you guys are cutting up mouse mats and the like. EBMM do the mute kits as a part (you can probably order them from Strings and Things). Apart from slightly larger diameter thumb screws they are the same I think. If you didn't want to fit the whole kit you could cut off the pads and then superglue them on your pre EB chrome plate.
[/quote]

They do indeed, but at 25 quid or so, vs the £4 it cost me for the jazz pickup foam, what can I say, I'm a tight arse.
Plus only had to cut it to length and press it on. :D

Edited by Foxx