Why become a member? ×

Inappropriate Songs For Weddings...

mxm

[quote name='mxm' post='238277' date='Jul 13 2008, 12:22 AM']Just got back...

...playing [b]Purple Haze [/b]during the set to a typical wedding crowd wasn't a great idea.

Any other 'classics' to avoid ?....[/quote]

Eh? I play the intro to Purple Haze at nearly every wedding gig we play ... Ok I confess we don't play the whole thing, that would be silly

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='238333' date='Jul 13 2008, 09:38 AM']As for conceitedness, I was once asked to do an arrangement of "Isn't she lovely" for a first dance! *BLLLEEEUUURRRGGGHHH!!"[/quote]
Pervy too That's about his daughter .....
:)

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='238484' date='Jul 13 2008, 12:56 PM']We played at a wedding last night. We decided to keep "St James' Infirmiary" off the setlist...[/quote]

Playing a wedding on Friday depping with a band that does this nearly every gig - no vocals though just a wonderfully melancholy violin melody .. :)

We drop in "Shotgun Wedding" if appropriate ...

Edited by OldGit

One by U2, a lot of people request it sometimes for first dances but bringing the song anywhere near a wedding makes no sense. Does no one listen to lyrics? The songs about getting along to survive and not out of choice it has nothing to do with love and intimacy.

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Edited by Newtfreak

[quote name='7string' post='241436' date='Jul 17 2008, 12:55 AM']"Every breath you take" by The Police.

A lovely song on the surface but with seriously psycho lyrics....

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
Ill be watching you

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
Ill be watching you

Still one of my favourite songs ever though :)[/quote]
Yeah, was about to say this one, very few people actually know that the lyrics are actually about voyeurism, etc.
makes me laugh wen i see couple listening to it lol

Zach

+1 on nobody listening to what you're playing!

I've played 'Sexy Mother F****r' by Prince on more than one occasion with my old covers band- goes down a treat!

Slip it in near the end of the last set when everyone's slaughtered- not recommended as a first dance though! :huh: :huh: :) :huh: