Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Joining a choir? Anyone know what's involved?

xilddx

My main band, Kit Richardson, whose music I love and whose band was marvellous to be a part of, has been dissolved.

I am in a couple of other brilliant bands but who don't gig often, and I just had a thought while watching Die Hard 2 that instead of looking for another bass or guitar gig, I would rather join a choir or vocal group. I love singing and I can sing pretty well. I can sing in tune and have a good two octave range, I have a good ear for harmony and melody, but my voice sounds crap for lead vocal. I suppose tenor is my best range.

Is anyone in a choir or a vocal group? I don't read music very well, I could learn over time. I love barber shop quartet and small vocal group music as well big classical stuff. Not looking to be in anything pro standard, just looking for something good, and fulfilling. What's usually involved? What are my chances? Thanks.

Edited by xilddx

Mrs OBBM and I are both members of Rock Choir which now has over 16000 members nationwide. No need to read music as the parts are taught by the choir leader at the weekly rehearsals. Once the song has been completed MP3 downloads of each of the parts are available for download. Most recent songs have been "Tears Of a Clown" and "I Can't Fight This Feeling" (REO Speedwagon). We put on gigs to raise money for local charities, some took part in a 200 strong performance at Wembley Stadium recently during the Harlequins/Saracens rugby match. Our choir gets to open on the main stage at Guilfest. We've made a lot of new friends and generally have a fun time. The women far outnumber the men so guys are always welcome.

[url="http://www.rockchoir.com/"]http://www.rockchoir.com/[/url]

Last summer at the O2. Choir leaders on stage and 13000 backing singers.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn1FU5529Ss"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn1FU5529Ss[/url]

I sing in a male voice choir, and love it. Not remotely ''goddy' even though we do a fair bit of religious stuff ( just goes with the territory)

Learned so much about harmonies and musical composition, plus we have a very active social side. May not float your boat, but I'd certainly recommend you give it a try.

We sang in the Royal Albert Hall last November, which was a bit of a head rush :-)

Edited by davehux

Went to a local pub gig on saturday and a couple where having a barny in the entrance lobby, apparently they where the local church choir leaders (though that maybe rubbish), rather Father Ted like

Totally unconnected I know,

Good luck, hope you enjoy it :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1396340291' post='2412351']
That's a damn shame, genuinely sorry to read that.
[/quote]
Thanks Stu. It's a real shame but I reckon she made the right decision, and I'm over it. Looking forward to her new music.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1396369570' post='2412791']
Went to a local pub gig on saturday and a couple where having a barny in the entrance lobby, apparently they where the local church choir leaders (though that maybe rubbish), rather Father Ted like

Totally unconnected I know,

Good luck, hope you enjoy it :)
[/quote]

:D

Thanks.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1396374293' post='2412877']
Thanks Stu. It's a real shame but I reckon she made the right decision, and I'm over it. Looking forward to her new music.[/quote]

Ah well, did you ever hear from BBC Radio 6?
I tried a bit of plugging while the first EP was new. :P

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1396380497' post='2412986']
Ah well, did you ever hear from BBC Radio 6?
I tried a bit of plugging while the first EP was new. :P
[/quote]

We were on twice, Stu. On the BBC Introducing show. The first time they played You Always Did IIRC. If that was down to you, thank you mate!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1396380810' post='2412996']
We were on twice, Stu. On the BBC Introducing show. The first time they played You Always Did IIRC. If that was down to you, thank you mate!
[/quote]

I've no idea at all if it was, glad you got the plug regardless.
I'd been talking with a couple of producers about s'thing completely different & they asked what else I could suggest, at the time the CD was on a table near me so I mentioned that.

Go for it! It's a great thing to do.

I love the huge sound, big, complex pieces of music gradually coming together. When it locks together it is spectacular. You're right there in the heart of the sound. It's powerful and moving. Other benefits are that it has sharpened my comprehension of music theory and brought on my sight-reading by leaps and bounds. It made me confident in voice. So much so that I now sing as a soloist. That's something that I would never previously have imagined doing. Then there is the camaraderie. being part of something so big, done well, is very rewarding ... it's all good. If you're doing it seriously it's a BIG commitment though.

I sing both baritone and tenor, in two different (Scottish) Gaelic choirs ... Coisir Gaidhlig Mhealbhaich and Coilich a' chinn a tuath. I've won a National championship with the later, performed and competed nationally and internationally. It has become a part of my life that I couldn't imagine being without.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1396381353' post='2413008']
I've no idea at all if it was, glad you got the plug regardless.
I'd been talking with a couple of producers about s'thing completely different & they asked what else I could suggest, at the time the CD was on a table near me so I mentioned that.
[/quote]
Well thank you mate! She'd had some feedback from a label that the music was brilliant, but that they would have no idea how to market it. Her new stuff I've heard may go some way to addressing that, no band baggage may help.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1396382026' post='2413021']
Go for it! It's a great thing to do.

I love the huge sound, big, complex pieces of music gradually coming together. When it locks together it is spectacular. You're right there in the heart of the sound. It's powerful and moving. Other benefits are that it has sharpened my comprehension of music theory and brought on my sight-reading by leaps and bounds. It made me confident in voice. So much so that I now sing as a soloist. That's something that I would never previously have imagined doing. Then there is the camaraderie. being part of something so big, done well, is very rewarding ... it's all good. If you're doing it seriously it's a BIG commitment though.

I sing both baritone and tenor, in two different (Scottish) Gaelic choirs ... Coisir Gaidhlig Mhealbhaich and Coilich a' chinn a tuath. I've won a National championship with the later, performed and competed nationally and internationally. It has become a part of my life that I couldn't imagine being without.
[/quote]
That's exactly what I was thinking! I suddenly had a bit of an epiphany and thought, I love singing, I could be good at it, I love choral music, I wanna be a part of it. Why am I thinking I need another bass or guitar gig in a band? I've had a look at a few local choirs and they seem like I might have a chance and one is after tenors at the moment. I know if I have the right motivation I will learn to sight read. I think this is it.

Congratulations on your own achievements, they sound fantastic!

Man, you've got to give it a go!!! Sounds like you'll take to it well. You've obviously got a fair amount of musical comprehension, so don't worry about sight reading too much. The necessity of learning complex new material will have you sight-reading before you've even realised you can do it. Not all choirs are full-on about that kind of thing though.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1396368329' post='2412772']
Bear in mind you will probably end up singing bad arrangements of pop songs you've never liked.
[/quote]

I joined my daughters orchestra (on bass) and ended up playing loads of sh*t pop songs.

And it is still great fun.

Mrs H is at her choir right now. They practice once a week and perform a couple of concerts each year plus a Christmas gig. It's a local amateur thing, but for the concerts they hire professional soloists (nice folk: we've had some over for dinner between rehearsal and performance). Some of the things she is not so keen on: lots of elderly members, who can be very conservative and set in their ways; the repertoire is occasionally not to her liking (Rutter!); no auditions, so people can join if they are keen, whether they can sing or not.

She does love her singing, though, and it has encouraged her to take lessons, move through the exam grades, and consider joining a more serious choir.

Sorry to read that your band is no longer a going concern - it was clear from your posts just how much you loved being part of that music.

EDIT: She just walked in and I showed her your O.P. - apparently there is a "national shortage" of tenors, and "in London there's a choir on every corner" so you ought to be OK!

B)

Edited by Mr H

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1396472094' post='2414172']apparently there is a "national shortage" of tenors
[/quote]

Absolutely. It's the same in Scotland.

I'm a baritone, naturally, although I've had to train my voice so as to be able to sing as much of the tenor register as possible. Such is the seeming scarcity of natural tenors. Suffice to say that a good new tenor is always made welcome ... Basses and baritones are ten-a-penny.