Why become a member? ×

What has happened to BC bass guitar prices?

Flex

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1394718149' post='2394360']
You lie through your ill-fitting dentures you pox-ridden son of a camel-trader's granny ...

;)
[/quote]

I was offered some dental work by an expert in jemaa el fna square... couldn't be bothered to haggle though.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1394706584' post='2394167']
The whole haggling / low-balling thing has frequently left me dumb-founded.

On at last half a dozen occasions in the last two years I have made a serious offer for a bass on Basschat, that offer being lower than the asking price but driven by my assessment of the "true value" (if such a thing exists).

With one exception where my offer was accepted, the vendors have chosen to refuse my offer or even ignore my PM, only to end up three months later selling the bass for less than I offered in the first place.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with my assessment, and I don't feel hurt or let down because I didn't get those deals ( :rolleyes: :lol: ) but it is alarming how many vendors seem wedded to their initial, inflated asking price ...
[/quote]

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the classifieds. If I fancy something and the asking price is what I imagine is about right, I'll pay it. If I think it is a bit high, I might make an offer. If I think it is way too much I ignore it. Nothing to hyperventilate about, really.

There is a particular bass I am gassing over at the moment. For some months now there has been in the classifieds for sale from Abroadshire that, with shipping and import duty, would end up being over twice as much as I believe the model to be worth. So I ignore it and wait for one to come up for sale in the UK that I can afford. It will eventually, they always do.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1394719715' post='2394387']
I was offered some dental work by an expert in jemaa el fna square... couldn't be bothered to haggle though.
[/quote]

I'd be very wary of that, then. It could mean pain through the nose. :mellow:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1394715763' post='2394315'] Can't stand haggling... Put it up for what you want for it, this is the BC marketplace not a souk in Marrakech... [/quote]

Yep, put a bass up for sale recently but didn't really expect it to sell (it hasn't) but I'd done afew searches and looked at some eBay ads and come to a firm decision of the lowest price I was going to accept at present and made it clear in the ad that it was either that price or i was keeping it. Not interested in protracted PM discussions.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1394715763' post='2394315']
Can't stand haggling... Put it up for what you want for it, this is the BC marketplace not a souk in Marrakech...
[/quote]

I see you point, although I don't agree with it. :)

Say, for example, you have a bass for sale at £850. It has been on the classifieds for several months, with nothing but half a dozen of the usual "[i]if it had one more string/if it was a different colour/if I had the money I'd be all over it...[/i]" kind of responses.

I send you a PM saying that I would like your bass, but could only stretch to £750. Do you:

1). Ignore my post as I am clearly trying it on and therefore beneath your contempt?
2). Politely refuse my offer and say that you will only accept the full price (potentially losing a sale)?
3). Politely refuse my offer, but agree to a compromise price of £800 (again, potentially losing a sale, but at least entering into the spirit)?
4). Tell me in no uncertain terms to F off as I am a low-balling scumbag?

Not trying to be confrontational, I'm just genuinely interested in what the problem would be with a bit of friendly haggling? :) Most of my sales and purchases to date have involved a bit of haggling - even the trades! B)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1394722724' post='2394426']
I made it clear in the ad that it was either that price or i was keeping it. Not interested in protracted PM discussions.
[/quote]

That's cool, and that is, of course, your prerogative. :)

Just be aware that some of us actually [b][i]enjoy[/i][/b] the process! :yarr:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1394723210' post='2394432']
I don't find haggling friendly in the slightest.
[/quote]

How about a little bit of haggling? Maybe a bit more than that? Oh come on, I'm not asking much - just a bit more?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1394723210' post='2394432']
I don't find haggling friendly in the slightest.
[/quote]

Again, that's totally cool. But you have to be aware that not everyone on here knows that. So if someone makes an attempt at a haggle, they are not necessarily being unfriendly.

As some others have already said on this thread (and other similar ones in the past), they add a bit onto their target price in the knowledge that sellers might try to beat them down. Some people clearly state "no offers" or "firm price" or similar. I wouldn't dream of making a low offer in those cases. That [b][i]would[/i][/b] be rude.

I see it as a bit of a game - but not with every interaction. If it is clear to me that someone does not want to enter into a discussion I will quickly either offer them what they want or walk away.

Either way, I don't think it is a big issue. :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1394723107' post='2394430']
I see you point, although I don't agree with it. :)

Say, for example, you have a bass for sale at £850. It has been on the classifieds for several months, with nothing but half a dozen of the usual "[i]if it had one more string/if it was a different colour/if I had the money I'd be all over it...[/i]" kind of responses.

I send you a PM saying that I would like your bass, but could only stretch to £750. Do you:

1). Ignore my post as I am clearly trying it on and therefore beneath your contempt?
2). Politely refuse my offer and say that you will only accept the full price (potentially losing a sale)?
3). Politely refuse my offer, but agree to a compromise price of £800 (again, potentially losing a sale, but at least entering into the spirit)?
4). Tell me in no uncertain terms to F off as I am a low-balling scumbag?

Not trying to be confrontational, I'm just genuinely interested in what the problem would be with a bit of friendly haggling? :) Most of my sales and purchases to date have involved a bit of haggling - even the trades! B)
[/quote]

I'd go for number two... hoping that you wouldn't come back saying "OK well maybe I can stretch to £775? £780? £781.47?"

Even worse than the haggle is those who offer a random collection of stuff for your bass. " Hi I don't have £850 but I do have a 112 cab, two old squire necks, six patch cables, a cover for an amp I don't own and a fez... how does that sound?"

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1394724083' post='2394451']
Even worse than the haggle is those who offer a random collection of stuff for your bass. " Hi I don't have £850 but I do have a 112 cab, two old squire necks, six patch cables, a cover for an amp I don't own and a fez... how does that sound?"
[/quote]

:lol: Yeah, I've had a few of them... :rolleyes:

I would say that if you are responding to a classified ad such as a bass offered for sale on Basschat , a bit of haggling is an accepted convention in that kind of a sale. I am no lowballer, but I would automatically assume that the asking price was an invitation to make an offer based on my own assessment of what the bass is worth. If you are selling something and you are unwilling to haggle then clearly state the price is firm, no offers.

It's very noticeable to me that some relatively expensive but highly desirable basses sell pretty quickly for respectable prices on Basschat, but the key to that is exactly their [b]rarity[/b] and[b] desirability[/b]. The harsh reality is that most people are trying to sell basses that are much of a muchness to most people, and so it's not surprising that they are not necessarily commanding good prices, or indeed finding buyers at all . If you have something in short supply that other people want a lot then you are in a much better position to get a decent return. As a seller, if you are in the position of having to tell people why they[i] aught to want to buy [/i]your bass then you are on a losing ticket regarding getting a good price or even getting rid at all, I am afraid. The basses that sell for decent money are almost invariably the ones where there is a broad consensus of opinion that they are hot stuff.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394725065' post='2394471']
The harsh reality is that most people are trying to sell basses that are much of a muchness to most people, and so it's not surprising that they are not necessarily commanding good prices, or indeed finding buyers at all .The basses that sell for decent money are almost invariably the ones where there is a broad consensus of opinion that they are hot stuff.
[/quote]

Not necessarily... There seems to be a pretty good turnover of the usual suspects - the mainstream Fenders, Musicmans and similar low-to-mid priced "workhorses", but again it depends on whether the seller has done their research, written a good advert and asked for a realistic price.

At the end of the day, this seems to be the biggest market sector on here. Less out-and-out budget basses, and a small but important trade in top-end guitars, but most seem to be in the £500-1200 range.

The whole question of "upgrades" is an interesting one too. One person's upgrade is another's "I'll have those out straight away". And yet, many buyers expect to get back what they paid for the upgrades AND the money they spent on installing them!!

For example, there are a couple of "bitsa" J basses for sale currently and yet they are priced at twice the price at which you could get a good used MIA Fender instrument! Why would anyone pay that much for a collection of someone else's spare parts? :blink:

Edited by Conan

I have actually been thinking about whether to sell a bass on this site in the last few days, but I am not sure I can stand the hassle which would almost inevitably result in one way or another.

The prospect people who don't speak English as a first language offering me homemade coffee table basses made by obscure Slovakian luthiers with "legendary" reputations as a trade offers fills me with dread, as does the almost inevitable debate that would break about some aspect of construction or the relative aesthetic merits.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394725868' post='2394489']
I have actually been thinking about whether to sell a bass on this site in the last few days, but I am not sure I can stand the hassle which would almost inevitably result in one way or another.

The prospect people who don't speak English as a first language offering me homemade coffee table basses made by obscure Slovakian luthiers with "legendary" reputations as a trade offers fills me with dread, as does the almost inevitable debate that would break about some aspect of construction or the relative aesthetic merits.
[/quote]

:lol: I hear you though.

That said, I have done some excellent (and very quick and painless) deals on here in the last few years (including your good self!). But yes, it can grind you down with the tyre-kickers and time-wasters.

Got to be worth a try though? ;)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1394725751' post='2394485']
Not necessarily... There seems to be a pretty good turnover of the usual suspects - the mainstream Fenders, Musicmans and similar low-to-mid priced "workhorses", but again it depends on whether the seller has done their research, written a good advert and asked for a realistic price.

At the end of the day, this seems to be the biggest market sector on here. Less out-and-out budget basses, and a small but important trade in top-end guitars, but most seem to be in the £500-1200 range.

The whole question of "upgrades" is an interesting one too. One person's upgrade is another's "I'll have those out straight away". And yet, many buyers expect to get back what they paid for the upgrades AND the money they spent on installing them!!

For example, there are a couple of "bitsa" J basses for sale currently and yet they are priced at twice the price at which you could get a good used MIA Fender instrument! Why would anyone pay that much for a collection of someone else's spare parts? :blink:
[/quote]

I agree that Fender and Music Mans are perennially popular, Geoff, and with good reason. I would always recommend those two brands as good solid investments , as they are both prestigious American-made basses of robust design with a great heritage. However, in terms of return on the recent new retail price , both of those examples are not that great. EBMM stuff sells for less than you would hope to get for if you have bought new, and there seem to be plenty of Fender at bargain prices ( £600 region for post 2008 Am St basses is not uncommon for a quick sale). The problem for sellers with those basses is the sheer number of them on the market, a lot of which are on their second or third owner and whose secondhand price undermines the bargaining power of folks with newer examples . Some folks are trying to sell Stingrays that are 10+ years old that they paid £650 for , and some unfortunates are trying , usually in vain, to get their money back out of newer Stingrays that they paid £1200+ for. Bongo prices ( the basses that is, not the magazines) fare even less well.

I agree wholeheartedly about the upgrades thing, too. One man's upgrade is another man's completely ruined. Overall, though, Basschat is a fantastic marketplace for[u] buying[/u] basses. Selling them on here is probably more of a mixed bag, but still it's a terrific option to have available. Ultimately, no one is forcing anyone to accept the offers made to them, and they always have the choice to decline whatever is unacceptable to them. My advice to people would always be that if the resale value is important to them , then be very careful what they buy( and what they pay for it) in the first place.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1394726028' post='2394494']
:lol: I hear you though.

That said, I have done some excellent (and very quick and painless) deals on here in the last few years (including your good self!). But yes, it can grind you down with the tyre-kickers and time-wasters.

Got to be worth a try though? ;)
[/quote]

It's very tempting to put an ad up, not least of all because I am a very lonely man. Even if the bass doesn't sell then it will at least be a chance to meet new people and interact with them. Time wasters welcome, I will say. It seems like a lot of work , though, taking photographs of the bass (that I inevitably won't be able to upload onto my ad), getting the case out and photographing that, then writing the ad itself. If the bass sells eventually then I will have earnt my money!

Wouldn't it be refreshing if people were totally honest about the [u][i]real[/i][/u] reasons why they were selling things? Now that would be interesting . If I sell this bass I will make a point of telling people the truth, which is that I bought it because I was bored, that I am still bored and this bass hasn't helped one bit, so make me an offer. I will stipulate "[u]absolutely no trades"[/u] and then, of course, wait for the trade offers to roll in. Having said that, I know for a fact that John Paul Jones swapped his Yamaha keyboard that he used with Led Zeppelin at Knebworth ect with Keith Emerson for a sofa, so who am I to say never? Ideally, I would like to swap my bass for a new life somewhere else with Stacy Dooley off BBC3. Let's face it, it looks like she will be out of a job soon , and might have to lower her expectations. Very similar to Newcastle United's manager Alan Pardew in that respect. :lol:

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1394724083' post='2394451']
[/quote]

I actually had one such offer reported to me where the items offered in exchange for a bass was a list of house contents, including beds, sofa, dining room table, assorted kitchen equipment and a washing machine... :huh: