Why become a member? ×

Epoxy treatment on Fretless fingerboard

Spoombung

Does anyone know where I can get this treatment on a fretless fingerboard in the UK? My fingerboard is very worn and I need to think about a more permanent solution.

I have looked at the Bass Gallery website and other websites and they do not seem to offer this service.

Any clues/links/contacts/experiences appreciated.

Kev

Have you considered trying to do the job yourself? May be something on youtube about how to do it.
On leftybassist.com the member called Matt R, based in the USA did this to two jazz bass necks with great results.
You might be able to get good advice/ direction from him about this.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1394286524' post='2389897']
Does anyone know where I can get this treatment on a fretless fingerboard in the UK? My fingerboard is very worn and I need to think about a more permanent solution.

I have looked at the Bass Gallery website and other websites and they do not seem to offer this service.

Any clues/links/contacts/experiences appreciated.

Kev
[/quote]
If your fingerboard is badly worn you may be just as well biting the bullet and having a new one installed.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1394303569' post='2390144']

If your fingerboard is badly worn you may be just as well biting the bullet and having a new one installed.
[/quote]

It's a Wal - so it would be expensive with a long wait time. I think a sanding and epoxy would be the answer.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1394303725' post='2390148']
It's a Wal - so it would be expensive with a long wait time. I think a sanding and epoxy would be the answer.
[/quote]
You are best placed to know the best course of action...if it's a Wal it needs to be done to a high standard. Good luck.

Be aware that the sound will change - much brighter and more edge. Nice, but different. On a Wal I'd be thinking new ebony board (not by Wal necessarily) if I loved the sound of that bass.

On a side note, in the early days Wal used a wood called something that sounded like parrot sh*t (as Pete called it) some form of South American hardwood similar to the stuff they use for bow making. Looks like rosewood but a lot tougher. A friend has an old ProIIE fretless with this, and it is the best sounding fretless I've ever heard - a real woody growl. I don't think they used it much, as it was hard to find.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1394367287' post='2390667']
Be aware that the sound will change - much brighter and more edge. Nice, but different. On a Wal I'd be thinking new ebony board (not by Wal necessarily) if I loved the sound of that bass.

On a side note, in the early days Wal used a wood called something that sounded like parrot sh*t (as Pete called it) some form of South American hardwood similar to the stuff they use for bow making. Looks like rosewood but a lot tougher. A friend has an old ProIIE fretless with this, and it is the best sounding fretless I've ever heard - a real woody growl. I don't think they used it much, as it was hard to find.
[/quote]

It's never really had the long sustain 'growl' to the sound that I associate with Wal basses, unfortunately. That's probably why i tend to play it very percussively (lots of short notes and tremelos). It also has several dead spots on the neck - we're talking very dead - like bumpf! I've had the bass for 30 years and in that time it's had several re-sandings by the Wal people. The last one was around 1993 by Pete. I'm pretty sure it's not a particularly hard bit of ebony. Take a look:

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1394367287' post='2390667']

[/quote]

Pau Ferro? Standard on newish MusicMan fretless, my 2011 Ray has it. Not totally wear-proof but somewhere between rosewood and ebony hardness-wise from memory?

No, not Pau Ferro. It was parraticolo or something like that..hence the parrot sh*t. Its about as hard as an ebony board, I suspect - but looks dark brown very much like rosewood. He's been playing (only) the same bass for over 25 years and it hasn't got much wear.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1394398126' post='2391037']
No, not Pau Ferro. It was parraticolo or something like that..hence the parrot sh*t. Its about as hard as an ebony board, I suspect - but looks dark brown very much like rosewood. He's been playing (only) the same bass for over 25 years and it hasn't got much wear.
[/quote]

Cocobolo?