Why become a member? ×

Scratch Built Bass #5

Jabba_the_gut

I've put bass build #4 on hold for a while as I've started another build!! This one will have a rippled ash body, flamed maple neck and an ebony fretboard. There will be a Warwick 2 piece bridge, Delano hybrid pickup, 2 band eq and green LED edge fret markers.

I've made new templates for making this. So far the body blank is marked out, the neck rough cut and the truss road fitted and the LEDs have been installed into the fretboard. On a previous build, I fitted LEDs to the face of the fretboard but this time I'm fitting them on the side.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

" So far the body blank is marked out, the neck rough cut and the truss road fitted and the LEDs have been installed into the fretboard. On a previous build, I fitted LEDs to the face of the fretboard but this time I'm fitting them on the side."

Good choice.

Ah yes, that body is a lovely piece of wood ad might just might look very similar to the wood on a bass you made!!

The neck wood might also look familiar....... :rolleyes:

The LEDs are some surface mount ones soldered onto some stripboard to make them easier t wire up. They're a right pain to solder as each one is only about 2mm x 2.5mm and require some patience. The side dots are done using some 1mm diameter fiber optic cable with some heat shrink sleeving around it to make it look tidy. I'll try and add some more photos and explanation later.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Finally getting on with this build!

Routing is complete for neck pocket, control cavity, bridge, tail piece and pick ups. I've rounded the body edges but still have some body contouring to do followed by lots of sanding!!

Cheers

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Good choice with Delano pups, I use one of their alnico MM replacements in a 5 string and its quality. Beautiful maple for your neck too, might I ask where you got it from, as I have a couple of projects spinning around in my head, desperate to get out!

Hi Rubis,

I got the body and neck wood from Nugget - the body wood was a trade but the neck wood was ordered with some wood Nugget was buying for himself. I'll try to find the details of the seller and forward it to you as the wood is lovely and was reasonably priced. Seem to remember it costing about £50 but I got two necks out of it.

Looking forward to trying the Delano pickups!!

Cheers

Jez

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1394053262' post='2387502']
The LEDs are some surface mount ones soldered onto some stripboard to make them easier t wire up. They're a right pain to solder as each one is only about 2mm x 2.5mm and require some patience. The side dots are done using some 1mm diameter fiber optic cable with some heat shrink sleeving around it to make it look tidy. I'll try and add some more photos and explanation later.

Cheers
[/quote]

Oh yeah, those surface mount LEDs are a pain in the ass. I was going to wire up some blue ones for my PS3 controller, but as soon as I saw the size of them I was just like "f*** that" lol.

On another note, looking great! The figuring on that neck is just crazy nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, this one is taking some time, but finally bass #4 is moving along!! I have been building another bass (#6 the sycamore one) at the same time which may explain the delay. I hoping to have the sycamore one complete for the Midlands Bass Bash in May but this will be a bit tight. Both neck are progressing well but I need to fit LED markers before I go any further - fiddly and time consuming job.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

• 2 months later...

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Hi Andy,[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Building has been quiet due to needing to do some DIY!! I’m still finishing off a sycamore bass – need to do the frets, a bit of wiring then a final polish and that should be about it. This one should look nice with blue LEDs on the side of the neck. I’ll post pictures when it is complete but this is where it is at currently. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Cheers[/color][/size][/font]