Why become a member? ×

I've just had a CD playback on a £350,000 Hi-Fi system

yorks5stringer

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394037819' post='2387234']
The point I am making, Bilbo, is that the sound as it is mixed in the studio is not an accurate representation of the performance anyway,
[/quote]

I agree. I guess the end point, for me, is that, if the result is not what it was at point of origin, then it is neither better not worse, just different! I don't have any axe to grind here. I have an ok hi-fi that I rarely listen to because most of my listening nowadays is on the road. I think I probably do lose out in quality terms because it is all against a background of car noise, people noise etc and is mostly background rather than dedicated. A great sounding recording is a great thing, though. I accept that 100%

I no longer have the HiFi bug, bit pointless now I've been diagnosed with industrial hearing loss :(
I will say this though, crap music is crap music no matter how much the system costs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0fM3tChADY

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394045089' post='2387358']
That is what I would describe as "sensible" crazy money, if that makes sense.

Always bear in mind , if you buy really expensive hifi equipment, you also have to budget for the price of a property with a space you can use as a dedicated listening room, because unless the environment is correct you won't hear anything like the true potential of the equipment.

I have had most of my own relatively modest system for several years, and none of my components are the latest thing by any means- my CD player dates back to the mid-1990's( but it is recognised classic), and the newest thing is my Exposure amp that I bought about five and a half years ago- but a good sound is a good sound , regardless of the age of the equipment, and I am very happy with the overall sound it makes. I know people who have spent a lot more money than me and ended up with systems they are far less happy with. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't recognise the superior performance and potential for enjoyment of much more costly and impressive gear than my own. If I had a more normal and settled home life I would probably have bought a much better system by now, but there seems little point when I seem to hardly get time to listen to it. .
[/quote]i think a good separate system is only as good as the room your sitting in. and as your point suggests, you really don't get the true potential in most home situations. i live in a detached house, so i have some great M Audio monitors for when the girlfriend is out, and some AKG's when she's in. :) i have a pair or 1980's KEF speakers that are fantastic, i think there called Cantor 3. huge things

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1394034483' post='2387176']
You are joking me? I've got one each of them. Well, i say I have, they're the wife's and she won't sell them. Bugger....
[/quote]

Here you go - [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=dansette+tempo&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc"]completed listings on ebay uk for dansette tempos[/url]. Mostly around £200. A red one went for £511 :o

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1394063508' post='2387670']
Here you go - [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=dansette+tempo&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc"]completed listings on ebay uk for dansette tempos[/url]. Mostly around £200. A red one went for £511 :o
[/quote]

Oh my, these might get lost from the house in the next big tidy....

Although I do enjoy the drunken nights stacking 45s up on them and upsetting the kids with terrible singles.

Flanders and Swann.. 'People make an awful lot of fuss, anyway about the quality of the sound they listen to. Have you noticed; they spend all that time trying to get the exact effect of an orchestra actually playing in their sitting room. Personally, I can't think of anything I should hate more than an orchestra actually playing in my sitting room.' :-D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DptPvj7ts

I don't get it - once you get past a certain point in playback and speakers the room becomes the sound quality driver. You can spend £1m on gear and put it into a tinny small high ceiling box and it will sound terrible. Put same gear into a theatre, and even better again a theatre filled with people, and you will not recognise it I from the same gear. My bass setup sounds terrible in my rehearsal room, but in an open pub/hall with people in it sounds totally different to the point punters tell me it sounds great. Same gear - different room. Even people moving around in a room change the sound as does temp, air pressure etc. Remember it is just a bunch of waves in air at the end of it all.

All I can say - If I spent £350k on a stereo it would need to be custom built into a Bentley....

Cheers,
Rich