Why become a member? ×

Lightweight amp+cab or combo that sounds good quiet & loud - possible?

SubsonicSimpleton

Hi folks, I'm really not up on any of the latest gear or it's capabilities, and would really appreciate some advice and opinions from people that have been using the new lightweight class d amps and modern speaker cabs in the real world.

In the past bass amps were always so heavy and bulky that I opted to go for something loud enough to compete with the band that I could happily leave in the rehearsal space (and could live with the risk of theft or accidental damage if the worst happened), and accepted the compromise in tone that that inevitably resulted in.

I found a pic of the first "proper" bass amp I used some 20 years ago
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/h-h-bass-machine-250w-222841.jpg

Now that modern gear is available which is much more portable, would it be possible to have an amp setup that can meet the needs of solo home practice/jamming with acoustic instruments, rehearsal and even gigging in venues where there is no big FOH system for sound reinforcement(e.g. wedding reception in hotel).

With the advances in amp technology, and speaker cabs, is it now possible to have consistent tone across a wide range of volumes(thinking especially with regard to fullness in the low frequencies) from one rig?

If you can, try out an aguilar tonehammer 500 with their SL speakers. I have this head paired with 2 DB112 cabs ( heavier than the SL112, but small individually so easy enough to move) and I've never had such a punchy and full sounding rig. One speaker may be enough for your needs.
What kind of sound are you after?

Guest bassman7755

If cash were no object and I wanted the ultimate small/light/powerful/versatile setup then I would go for something like a barefaced super midget + GB shuttle 9.2

I've been tempted by the TC BG250 which has 4 speaker options using the same amp section, has TonePrint and built in tuner.
BUT, I;m worried that it won't have enough clout when you need it. I also have my "big rig" which has a 400w head, and a 1 x 15 and a 2 x 10 GK cabs.
I can't help thinking that if I swapped out the big 400 head for a class D lightweight, then the world really would be my ointment.
Mind you the TC looks impressive for the bucks.

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1393805145' post='2384614']
If you can, try out an aguilar tonehammer 500 with their SL speakers. I have this head paired with 2 DB112 cabs ( heavier than the SL112, but small individually so easy enough to move) and I've never had such a punchy and full sounding rig. One speaker may be enough for your needs.
What kind of sound are you after?
[/quote]

With regard to sound, this really made me think - I'm not wanting to sound like anyone else or emulate a particular type of rig. Recently I've been playing mostly DI'd into a crappy little mixer that I use for my PC, and have found that because there is no useful EQ or anything else to colour the sound, I really have to concentrate on varying the tone with my fingers and getting the timing and feel right, which can be kinda harsh as it really shows up mistakes, but subjectively I feel that my playing is improving as a result. I think what I'm shooting for is a fairly neutral cab(s) that can represent the bottom end solidly, and an amp that sounds good with the EQ flat (clarity, warmth and musical are the best words I can think of right now) - I came to the conclusion long ago that things like EQ and effects are best used sparingly, and it is very difficult to "fix" something that has a bad inherent sound.

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1393805910' post='2384620']
The world is your oyster provided you got the bucks to spend. Would be useful to know what your budget and criteria are and how loud your drummer and guitarist are ;0)
[/quote]
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that good quality instruments and equipment are a worthwhile investment both for enjoying the music you play, and in terms of getting the gigs/deps in the first place. As I'm not in a working band right now, I'm not in a mad rush, but if the opportunity presented itself, I would need to use lightweight gear due to ongoing back problems and experience has taught me that it is cheaper in the long run to lump the initial expense rather than trade up later or get bogged down with needing to repair or replace gear that didn't really have the headroom to get the job done comfortably - 600 quid for a top quality lightweight cab is pretty cheap if you factor in the expense of regular visits to the chiropractor, increased wear on the car suspension and fuel consumption if you choose to pick up that tatty 4x10 from gumtree for £80 instead.

When I first saw the class D kit I suspected that they were using "argos car stereo watts" - where the spec lists 1000W but the real world performance is more like 25W rms, and even though I know this isn't quite the case, I view the experiences of average joe working musicians as being far more valuable than than manufacturers specs or marketing blurb, so I suppose that the ultimate stress test would be someone gigging regularly at the dog and duck in a band with at least one guitarist who is attached to their oldschool 100w valve head and 4x12 - I already have tinnitus, so I wouldn't choose to play this type of gig, but still nice to know if the portable kit can still compete at those kind of SPL reliably.

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton

You don't need to worry about class D, just like the 'old' amps there are some that are oversold with 'car stereo watts' but there is no inherent reason why they shouldn't meet the specs or deliver every advantage they promise. Most of the weight saving is in the power supply which works the same way as the one in the computer you are reading this on, and they work.

I'd always say there is no need to be louder than the drummer. if they need to mic up the drummer you can DI into the same PA the drums are going through.

Money no object and I'd go for the AER Amp One, it's not stunningly light for its size but it is tiny and it delivers unbelievable sound. It looks like a practice amp but it'll more than match the beefiest percussionist. I'd say it's one you need to try if you can afford that much, if it is for you then you know you have the best solution on the market. If that style isn't for you then go for some of the options above and doubtless yet to come, Has anyone said Barefaced yet?

The other option for someone who likes clean is to go for a powered stage monitor or PA speaker. The best ones can handle bass no problem and will be designed for a flat sound from the off. Just a thought.

The Aguilar Tonehammer 500 has more than enough volume for most applications, I haven't had to push mine past 9 o'clock when I've got both cabs connected. Only if I were to do a stadium gig would I think about getting more muscle, it really kicks ass with the two cabs! And it's got plenty of bottom end, but in a tight way. It amplifies my basses accurately and cleanly if I have the drive knob turned off, but I dial a bit in for my personal taste. The controls are pretty musical and it's quite hard to dial in a bad sound. I just leave them neutral most of the time.

I have a Markbass LM3 and a Markbass NY121 cab.

I've travelled with them and my bass on the tube across London, and onto a train to Birmingham. Very easy to carry, the cab stowed away in the little luggage bit in the carriage and the amp went overhead with my bass and other bag.
Extremely light and compact, and easily loud enough for an average sized gig.