Why become a member? ×

Was Fender Custom P Bass Now Withdrawn

thebeat

I'm selling my, what might be a Fender Custom Shop or Fender Special issue depending on who you listen to [b]( for more info see further down the thread :) )[/b], P-bass. Whatever it is, it's pretty damn sexy and has an Allparts maple jazz neck with black block inlays and binding. It is fitted with EMG pick ups, Aguilar pre-amp, hipshot tuners, including d-tuner and Badass II bridge. Bass is more or less immaculate apart from a small ding on the upper body. It was fitted with Rotosound flats around 2 months ago and comes with a black tortoise shell pickguard and the red one shown in the first pic. I also have a hard case for it, case has a bit of wear but is sound, i do not have the keys for it.

Asking ] plus insured post. If no-one wants it i'm either going to set fire to it the next time i'm drunk or just stick it in it's case under the bed.

Edited by thebeat

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='235415' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:21 AM']ive seen this bass on here before!

caused quite a stir if i remember rightly!!

hmmmmmm :)

good luck with the sale mate[/quote]

Yup, and if I recall correctly, the body is the only bit that's actually Fender, the neck is an Allparts one and it originally sold on here for under £400.

Hopefully we're both confused and the similarities are coincidence.

Perhaps the seller could confirm it is 100% custom shop (well the body and neck anyway).

Edited by P-T-P

[quote name='bassjamm' post='235413' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:17 AM']Hi mate,

What controls does the pre-amp offer please? Any any descriptions of the tone mate...i'm guessing big and phat? Any jazz honk from the J pup?

Thanks
J[/quote]

It's controls are volume/volume with treble and bass from a stacked pot. It definitely sounds big and phat :) as for jazz honk, well i've never had a true J bass but it certainly sounds good to my ears. Certainly pretty versatile when it comes to sound.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='235418' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:24 AM']Yup, and if I recall correctly, the body is the only bit that's actually Fender, the neck is an Allparts one and it originally sold on here for under £400.

Perhaps the seller could confirm it is 100% custom shop (well the body and neck anyway).[/quote]

I bought it on ebay so can't confirm it's pedigree but i think you may be right in assuming that the neck is an Allparts neck...it does have the Custom Shop logo but i did wonder myself...aren't the Allparts necks endorsed by Fender?

Just checked, they are indeed licensed and this one retails at $269 US.

Edited by thebeat

[quote name='P-T-P' post='235418' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:24 AM']Yup, and if I recall correctly, the body is the only bit that's actually Fender, the neck is an Allparts one and it originally sold on here for under £400.

Perhaps the seller could confirm it is 100% custom shop (well the body and neck anyway).[/quote]

Or alternatively perhaps you could confirm that it's the same bass that sold for under £400? If you can i would be interested in the details so that i can have a wee word in the ear of ther guy who sold me it as a Custom Shop Fender.

I hope that it's not being inferred that i'm out to decieve anyone? I'm just going by what i was told when the bass was sold.

[quote name='thebeat' post='235422' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:30 AM']I bought it on ebay so can't confirm it's pedigree but i think you may be right in assuming that the neck is an Allparts neck...it does have the Custom Shop logo but i did wonder myself...aren't the Allparts necks endorsed by Fender?[/quote]

Any chance the eBay seller was in Bristol?

If so, it's almost certainly the same bass as was sold on here back in January and controversially re-listed (then withdrawn) from here a couple of months ago.

It's an amazing looking bass and one I'd have snapped up back in January had I the cash at the time as would many others but - and for your sake I hope I'm wrong in saying this - you might have unwittingly walked into a maelstrom with this.

Good luck with the sale though, hope I haven't spoiled it for you by mentioning this. I don't normally approve of commenting on prices in for sale threads but I do think the listing is, unfortunately inaccurate. Though I appreciate you're an innocent party as such.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='235432' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:41 AM']Thanks mate...

I think you boys might be confusing this with another P bass that looks very similar to this...maybe not though!!! It's got the custom shop logo on the back of the headstock though.[/quote]

Hi mate

Apparently this is the same bass that was sold to a certain Kevin Hide for the bargain price of £395 back in January, he then tried to sell it on here for offers over £600 a few weeks later and caused a bit of a stushy.

Now, i bought the bass for 600 quid plus post so was only trying to recover what i spent and as far as i can tell the bass is a Fender Custom special issue and was worth more than it was originally sold for.

However, i now know that any realistic chance of me selling the bass for what i paid for it is probably gone, so i'm willing to offer you it for £500 plus post. The only real reason i'm selling it is because it's just a wee bit too heavy for my bad shoulder. If no-one wants it for £500 i'll just stick it in the case and hold on to it. I'm in no desperate need for the cash.

Here's a link to the original for sale thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11033&hl=Fender"]Fender For Sale[/url]

Edited by thebeat

:)

With no wish to hijack this thread....

I think this is a really sad state of affairs. The Beat has bought what he thought was a genuine , very lovely looking, bass at what seemed a realistic price....shame the seller had no scrupals....

Dude, i really hope you manage to re-coup your investment on this...it is a stunning looking beast.

All the best.

The original ebay listing described this bass as

[quote name='"ebay"']This particular bass started life as a limited edition Precision Bass Special, made by Fender USA, which features P/J pickups and a slimmer jazz neck, and has been heavily modified proffesionally [i][sic][/i] with the following features:[/quote]

and then lists all the mods that have been made to the bass, including the preamp, pickups, tuners, neck, pickguard, blah. There's no mention of custom shop in the listing.

Anyway, it's a nice bass and it's worth what somebody's prepared to pay for it.

It's a good looking bass alright and I was sorely tempted to buy it a while ago.

Personally I think this bass has created too much emotion on Basschat for you to be able to sell it for more than £395. I really hope I'm proved wrong and that this bass will be judged on its own merits (and therefore achieve the sort of price you're looking for) but I suspect you'll have more luck selling this baby on Ebay.

Good luck with the sale mate. Nice Rickenbacker by the way!!

FWIW I PM'd the current seller (Alistair) and brought him up to speed on things. In doing so, I think he is 100% genuine and bought the bass in good faith believing it to be as he describes it in the original listing.

He seems like a decent bloke and fair play to him for acknowledging the history and lowering his asking price by £100 within an hour or so of the bass being listed. Hopefully, as others have said, the bass can be bought and sold on its merits. I dare say that if it was broken up for parts it'd be worth £500 so I don't think any potential buyer is getting ripped off at the current asking price.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='235509' date='Jul 9 2008, 09:22 AM']If it's an Allparts neck, I'm guessing they turn up without logos on so ALL logos have to be added on by the end user.[/quote]

Allparts necks have proper Fender logos - official, like, as they are licenced replacements for damaged bits..
Never seen one with the custom shop transfer though..

[quote name='OldGit' post='235559' date='Jul 9 2008, 10:51 AM']Allparts necks have proper Fender logos - official, like, as they are licenced replacements for damaged bits..
Never seen one with the custom shop transfer though..[/quote]

You sure about that Si? Always seen them for sale without any logos. They are licensed though.

[url="http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p279/Bluenile32/Fender%20Custom%20Shop%2061%20P%20Bass/IMG_1127.jpg"]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p279/Bl...ss/IMG_1127.jpg[/url]

This is an original Custom Shop neck... looks quite a different logo that the bass for sale. Not a transfer... Can you buy All Parts with genuine Custom Shop logos.. I dont know, id better leave now, I dont know what im talking about :huh: :)

Im not Fender geek, but thought a picture of a proper logo might help...

Il go back to my Overwater now, and leave you Fender guys alone :huh:

Edited by overwater#1

[quote name='P-T-P' post='235563' date='Jul 9 2008, 11:01 AM']You sure about that Si? Always seen them for sale without any logos. They are licensed though.[/quote]

eeeeeeeeeerm well I was 'til I tried to find them again :)
Maybe not then. Hang on, is this not one?

:huh: