Why become a member? ×

pickguard how much to spend?

bonnp

i am building a p bass, partly so my wife does not notice the money going and because i want an agressive old schools type sound i cannot get exactly from my MM sub. so far i have a black gloss mim p bass body, mighty mite maple neck, dimarzio dp122 and a superb kiogon wring loom with 500k pots geared for the old school tone, punk, heavy rock etc, roto swing 66 110s, shcaller tuners (possibly) to round off. i am not sure how it will go but i have learnt everything from the guys on here. lastly i need a pickguard but not sure about colours or quality to go with black, seems to be price ranges from 10.00 to 50.00 where ever i look, any ideas on a decent pickguard and colour? do u really need a decent one? i meant to build the guitar over a couple of months but have purchased everything in under a week :(

[quote name='bonnp' timestamp='1393532511' post='2381646']
i am building a p bass, partly so my wife does not notice the money going and because i want an agressive old schools type sound i cannot get exactly from my MM sub. so far i have a black gloss mim p bass body, mighty mite maple neck, dimarzio dp122 and a superb kiogon wring loom with 500k pots geared for the old school tone, punk, heavy rock etc, roto swing 66 110s, shcaller tuners (possibly) to round off. i am not sure how it will go but i have learnt everything from the guys on here. lastly i need a pickguard but not sure about colours or quality to go with black, seems to be price ranges from 10.00 to 50.00 where ever i look, any ideas on a decent pickguard and colour? do u really need a decent one? i meant to build the guitar over a couple of months but have purchased everything in under a week :(
[/quote]

Trust me, it won't take you a couple of months to put everything together. Once you've got the bits and pieces to make a bass it'll take an afternoon, at the most, and you'll be ready to rock. That's the wonder of Leo Fender's design. Putting together a bass is easier than building a set of draws from IKEA. The most difficult part is the electrics but with Ki0gon's solderless loom that's easy peasy too.

Have fun :)

Edited by gjones

I`ve used both of those that Gary recommended, both good. For a more expensive item - and better quality too - there`s always our very own Bass Doc.

My choice on a black Precision with maple would be either black or tort (tort currently the winner for me).

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1393539350' post='2381791']
My choice on a black Precision with maple would be either black or tort (tort currently the winner for me).
[/quote]

My taste too, although my number one preference would be for a 3 ply B/W/B.

As for quality, I suspect all the scratchplate manufacturers in the world are pretty much using the same blanks from the same factories, so the quality of the raw material is exactly the same. If you spend £12 on a cheap one it'll be laser cut, accurately and the blank material looks identical to me to any other scratchplate.
Dangleberry music have downloadable pdf templates that you can print and cutout to check for fit. They are well cheap too, and the quality of the product will be as good as anyone else.