Why become a member? ×

Repair advice.

TheBishop

Hi folks,

I'm posting this here after doing an introduction [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/229880-just-joined-sayin-hi-advice-needed-for-cleanup-of-fender-jv-bass/"]here[/url]

Basically I've dug out my old bass from the attic after some 15-17 years. It's a Fender JV P-Bass. S/N JV07xxxx.

It's actually in pretty good shape and even after that time it was still in tune! ok. The strings were pretty buggered but that can easily be fixed. However there are a few things I'd like to get done so looking for advice.

You can view the bass pics [url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w1lac1jzl99hmxx/7DGiT2TcBO/"]here[/url] (I tried linking directly to dropbox but I can't get it to work).. will try attaching too...

The main issues are:

1. Pick plate is warped (Its been suggested that I warm it up while sandwiched between two heavy things....).

2. Chrome-work is not great, the bridge is particularly yuk. Soaking in coke has been suggested.

3.The chrome on the knobs is coming off and I don't think they can be repaired so new ones needed.

4. One of the tuning heads is damaged and held together with sticky tape.

5. Jack socket is mucho crackly... I'm hoping it can be cleaned. Need suggestions for cleaning it.

6. Action needs tweaking, but buzzy on some strings. Advice on where to look for getting a good setup appreciated.

If the pick plate can't be de warped can I just replace it? Is it possible to get a replacement. As far as I can tell it's exactly the same spec as the '62 original.

If the chrome is worn/damaged then should I attempt to replace the bridge or keep original?

The tuning heads look to be quite specific. They are similar to the '62 but are different. Should I replace them or make do?

Should I get new electrics/pickups or keep as much of the original as possible?

Advice appreciated.

[attachment=155466:20140216-FenderJV001.jpg][attachment=155467:20140216-FenderJV002.jpg][attachment=155468:20140216-FenderJV004.jpg][attachment=155469:20140216-FenderJV005.jpg][attachment=155470:20140216-FenderJV007.jpg][attachment=155471:20140216-FenderJV008.jpg][attachment=155472:20140216-FenderJV009.jpg][attachment=155473:20140216-FenderJV010.jpg][attachment=155474:20140216-FenderJV012.jpg][attachment=155475:20140216-FenderJV013.jpg][attachment=155476:20140216-FenderJV015.jpg][attachment=155477:20140216-FenderJV017.jpg]

I've done bridges in coke. It works, leave to soak for an hour or so and use an old toothbrush to get the muck off. Don't lose the little grub screws.

Crackly jack socket might be dirt, in which case clean the contacts with spirit on a cloth. Or it could be the wires need resoldering. You might be better just buying a new one, I don't think there's much vintage value in a jack socket. By the way, are you sure it's the socket, not the pots? It would be worth giving them a squirt of Servisol anyway, after all that time unused.

Edited by spinynorman

"The Bass Doc" is a member here and I believe he makes custom pick guards if you need to change it.

Set ups - You can do it if you have a few tools This way you learn and save loads of dosh you can spend on good things, like a bass and strings and things. Here's 1 of a series of vids to get you on the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te44eWXd9pc

I've got a pick guard off a Squier P bass,
it's in white - if that's any use to you?

The tip with the Coke really works
Just don't spill it over the electrics! ;)

And as the above poster says
Don't adjust the truss rod with any tension on the neck :o

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

Marc

Thanks folks. I'm not sure what will happen when the sticky tape comes off! We'll see when i give it a go!
If I replace the pick plate I'll be looking for an exact replacement. I think I'm right that this is the same as the '62 p-bass. Thanks for the offers!

I definitely think there is a lot of setting up to do but I'm most nervous about trus rod adjustments. It's adjusted from the base not the neck so is a bit awkward. I'll need to get some measuring tools I guess.

I'll post pics of the work when I start fixing things.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1392648782' post='2371034']
I'm a bit surprised that the guy in that video didn't say anything about slacking off the strings and allowing the neck to settle. I'd never adjust the truss rod with the neck under tension.
P
[/quote]
I do, it doesn't cause problems with a healthy neck as long as its a fairly small adjustment.

Also, there should be no need for settling time if you do it this way - it's an instant adjustment. I think the settling time thing comes from when the neck has been without strings for a while - i.e. not under tension, or when the truss rod has been tightened up with no strings to counteract.

OP, thats a lovely looking bass, should be pretty easy to get that back up to condition. Have fun!

[quote name='TheBishop' timestamp='1392661868' post='2371286']
The pots are actually working perfect. Just the jack. Probably dirty. Will know when I remove things.
[/quote]

Here ya go:)

Before you start, check what happens if you use a different lead.

If it still crackles:
Make sure the wires are soldered securely to the jack socket.
Make sure the contacts are clean.
Give the contact arm a little bend with a pair of pliers so it makes a good contact with the tip of the jack plug when inserted.

If that lot fails then replace the socket - basic soldering skills needed.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...