Why become a member? ×

NBD: Squier JV 1st Series (pic added!) - Calling all other owners!

Chiliwailer

[attachment=155565:P1060031.JPG]

I really like the old original first series JV Basses, so much so I just bought my second '57 Reissue earlier today. Greedy, but hey ho, the new laptop will have to wait and I'll just keep on banging my current laptop's screen till it works, because these basses are reasonably rare.

The first series JV's are the ones with the large Fender logo and small Squier logo, and were only made for 2-3 months. But what I love best of all, is the ash bodies they used on these first few (later changing to Alder/Basswood). Ash body and maple neck, mmmm.... ([b]edit[/b]: Cheers Luke for the info, turns out Sen isn's a true ash wood, still sounds lovely though with lots of thump!)

The other Squier JVs are also great basses and I've owned some lovely ones, but these first series basses just seem to have that bit extra in the wood/tone department.

I'm a proud owner of an original 1966 Precision, and I've had all sorts of vintage and high end basses, yet I'm still astounded at how good these basses are, the sound and feel are just wonderful. I'm not saying that these are 'better than the US ones' or 'Custom Shop quality' etc, just that they are sweet basses.
I'd love to hear the thoughts of other proud owners or people who have played/owned these in the past.
Cheers :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

I acquired a JV0 Precision about 4 months ago and, straight out of the case, it is the best P bass I have ever played. Oozes quality, lightweight, absolutely great neck (not too wide, quite shallow) and a tone to die for. I really couldn't be happier with mine. Maybe the bubble has burst, price-wise, but I don't care.

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Good catch Dan, but without pics, it didn’t happen!![/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I’ve said on here many times before that these are far and beyond the best reissues ever made. Unlike the Fullerton reissues that also started in ’82, these used the original pre-CBS blueprints, so the contours on necks and bodies are the same. The feel in the hand of these is unmistakeable vintage, and the tone is also very well replicated, better than anything I’ve seen, played or owned from even the Custom Shop.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The first batch from end of April, to end of May..ish, were way to good, and far better than their own reissues from Fullertons, and so the Americans soon made them reduce the specs, and change the decals. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]But it isn’t just the rarity, and exclusivity of these early birds, that make them so desirable, although that has become a factor, but the playability, feel and overall vintage vibe. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]You simply cannot replicate, or capture the feel of a real vintage bass as well as these offer. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I have 3 now, and they are all ’62 reissues. I still need to add a ’57 to the fold…it will happen at some point. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Some really bad pics taken hastily with a iphone, too much flash and light;[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1392667031' post='2371425']
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Good catch Dan, but without pics, it didn’t happen!![/color][/size][/font]

[/quote]

Hey Rick, great to hear from you.

Very eloquently written, I liked what you said and really couldn't agree more. You showed me yours so I'll show you mine... I've added a pic to the post above

So you have two '62 Jazz Basses and I have two '57 Precisions, If you're up for a swap I reckon I sure am :)

Bye for now buddy

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1392636898' post='2370827']
I acquired a JV0 Precision about 4 months ago and, straight out of the case, it is the best P bass I have ever played. Oozes quality, lightweight, absolutely great neck (not too wide, quite shallow) and a tone to die for. I really couldn't be happier with mine. Maybe the bubble has burst, price-wise, but I don't care.
[/quote]

Absolutely Paul, straight of the case I was hooked too :)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1392667031' post='2371425']
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Good catch Dan, but without pics, it didn’t happen!![/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I’ve said on here many times before that these are far and beyond the best reissues ever made. Unlike the Fullerton reissues that also started in ’82, these used the original pre-CBS blueprints, so the contours on necks and bodies are the same. The feel in the hand of these is unmistakeable vintage, and the tone is also very well replicated, better than anything I’ve seen, played or owned from even the Custom Shop.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The first batch from end of April, to end of May..ish, were way to good, and far better than their own reissues from Fullertons, and so the Americans soon made them reduce the specs, and change the decals. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]But it isn’t just the rarity, and exclusivity of these early birds, that make them so desirable, although that has become a factor, but the playability, feel and overall vintage vibe. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]You simply cannot replicate, or capture the feel of a real vintage bass as well as these offer. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I have 3 now, and they are all ’62 reissues. I still need to add a ’57 to the fold…it will happen at some point. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Some really bad pics taken hastily with a iphone, too much flash and light;[/color][/size][/font]

[/quote]

Hi Rick

In what way did they reduce the spec? I'm curious as I have a 2xxxxx 62 jv and a 7xxxxxx 57 jv, both very nice. I know they changed to poly finish after the fender logos. Anything else?

Cheers
Ted

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1392678254' post='2371630']
Hi Rick

In what way did they reduce the spec? I'm curious as I have a 2xxxxx 62 jv and a 7xxxxxx 57 jv, both very nice. I know they changed to poly finish after the fender logos. Anything else?

Cheers
Ted
[/quote]

They changed the wood from sen ash to alder initially, then quickly to basswood. The neck profiles changed. The slab rosewood was changed to veneer i think in late '83 or '84. The tortoishell material changed to something nothing like the originals (As per the current awful crop of CS releases), and from 3 to 4 ply (on the '62's obviously). The tuners changed from a period correct closer-thread gear, and smaller holding screw, to a larger screw, and multi thread tuner. Threaded saddles were replaced for slotted i think in '84,a nd the brass shielding plates were ommitted too at some point.The decal was changed to a large Squier decal. The pickups were changed. The wiring was plastic coated. No chrome covers were installed, or mutes on the jazz. From memory, i think thats about it, although I'm no expert on JV's after '83. From what i've heard, the quality of woods and electronics were even less after this time.
Serial numbers shouldnt be used exclusively for dating these, as per original instruments. Neck/pot dates should also be used, but, as with the originals, certain characteristics can also accurately date an instrument, which on the earliest JV's, you can often date it to within a month, just by the details.

As wioth anything Fender, there are always the odd exceptions to general rules though! ;)

Hope this helps. This is only based on my experiences though, I wouldnt claim to be a JV expert.

Rick

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1392720292' post='2371878']
They changed the wood from sen ash to alder initially, then quickly to basswood. The neck profiles changed. The slab rosewood was changed to veneer i think in late '83 or '84. The tortoishell material changed to something nothing like the originals (As per the current awful crop of CS releases), and from 3 to 4 ply (on the '62's obviously). The tuners changed from a period correct closer-thread gear, and smaller holding screw, to a larger screw, and multi thread tuner. Threaded saddles were replaced for slotted i think in '84,a nd the brass shielding plates were ommitted too at some point.The decal was changed to a large Squier decal. The pickups were changed. The wiring was plastic coated. No chrome covers were installed, or mutes on the jazz. From memory, i think thats about it, although I'm no expert on JV's after '83. From what i've heard, the quality of woods and electronics were even less after this time.
Serial numbers shouldnt be used exclusively for dating these, as per original instruments. Neck/pot dates should also be used, but, as with the originals, certain characteristics can also accurately date an instrument, which on the earliest JV's, you can often date it to within a month, just by the details.

As wioth anything Fender, there are always the odd exceptions to general rules though! ;)

Hope this helps. This is only based on my experiences though, I wouldnt claim to be a JV expert.

Rick
[/quote]

I'd like to get my hands on a 0xxxx series to compare. I have seen some JVs with plastic wiring and slotted barrels (not mine) but I wonder if these were at the very end of the run. My 1984 squire A-series P had the plastic wiring and different pickups and I agree this type of electronics is not as good.

I've got one too - a big Fender, small Squier logoed 57 Precision. Bought it from a 'bloke down the pub' for 50 quid back in 1984.

But to be honest it's been modded so much over the years, it's not really a JV anymore. I think the only original parts left are the volume pot and the body - but even that's been stripped and refinished. However I do have the original (warped and unplayable) neck stashed away in a cupboard somewhere.

Still a great bass though…

Sorry, that was a bit of a useless post wasn't it? :lol:

A 'Big F, small Sq' Jazz is my main squeeze at the moment. Picked it up for £50 about a year ago from a mate who spotted it in a garage sale. Dead lucky.

Very comfy, sounds fantastic. Best Jazz of the half dozen I've had over the years, including my Marcus. I've modded it a bit, but have all the bits I've taken off.

Considering a Babicz or Badass next.