Why become a member? ×

NBD - I have a (Thunder)bird landing

DaytonaRik

Today is a good day - a new to me bass arrives at work and a massive GAS problem addressed.

Since I swapped to bass from g****r 3 years ago I have lusted after a Thunderbird, despite being massively disappointed by it's 6-string cousin the Firebird but those weedy mini ceramic hum buckers were to blame! I could never really justify one as I needed to be a bit more flexible tone-wise. However, with the forming of a Lizzy cover band when a straight ahead rock sound is all I need...well...why the hell not! Before anyone says it...I'm NOT getting a black P with a mirror pick guard! Cover, not tribute!

Anyway, today a mint vintage sunburst 2010 Thunderbird IV arrives at the office. Ampkit with my Ashdown emulator, cable and headphones are at the ready!

Pics in due course, as apparently without them it's all a figment of my over-active imagination!

Rik

Edited by DaytonaRik

The Thunderbird has landed...and meets every expectation. A few teeny tiny marks but maybe that'll mean I'm not overly precious of my new purchase. That's not to say I'll abuse it, just won't be so anal over it!

Anyway - introducing the new arrival :sun_bespectacled:

[attachment=154315:image.jpeg]
[attachment=154316:image3.jpeg]
[attachment=154317:image2.jpeg]

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1391612218' post='2359205']
Wow. That's amazing. Well done! I'm sure you will really enjoy that gorgeous instrument. How does she sound?
[/quote]

Really pleased with the price and condition. As for the sound...I don't know yet as it arrived at the office this afternoon. The rig is set up at home and I'll be giving it a run through as soon as I get to the house tonight!!!

Edited by DaytonaRik

Ok - I have got home, fired up the Ashdown and plugged in...and its LOVELY!!!! A much wider variety of tones than I would have thought possible and the slimmest of necks...almost like playing a guitar. Both pups in unison create a fat rich sound that can sound mellow or gritty, depending upon the attack. The bridge alone has an edgy bite to it that should cut through most mixes, whilst the neck pup is much more mellow, but again can get dirty when really attacked. I've yet to really play with the amp settings to see just where I can go with it.

Ergonomically, it's like a lot of Gibson guitars - it's a fret away from you! Grab a 7th fret E and it's an F! The upper 'non-horn' can feel a little uncomfortable at first but soon becomes 2nd nature. It's a Firebird's bigger brother so I guess I'm used to it...just have to remember how it feels!

It definitely needs a tweak to the truss rod - there's very little relief in there and the previous owner has resorted to raising the bridge to get a usable action instead of adjusting the neck...perhaps he wasn't too confident?

I'm pretty sure I've not got a hound, and that with a few minutes effort (and know-how) it'll be buzz free and flying...like a 'Bird

Thought I'd break the camera out and put some proper photos up so -

[attachment=154371:1400205 - Thunderbird - 104.jpg] [attachment=154373:1400205 - Thunderbird - 101.jpg] [attachment=154374:1400205 - Thunderbird - 103.jpg]
[attachment=154375:1400205 - Thunderbird - 105.jpg] [attachment=154376:1400205 - Thunderbird - 102.jpg] [attachment=154377:1400205 - Thunderbird - 106.jpg]
[attachment=154378:1400205 - Thunderbird - 109.jpg] [attachment=154379:1400205 - Thunderbird - 107.jpg]

Edited by DaytonaRik