Why become a member? ×

Recording Solutions for New Laptop?

Skybone

My old PC was finally retired last month after goodness knows how many years of sterling service (and not to mention numerous upgrades, PSU's, motherboards/processors & a multitude of video/sound cards), after it deciding enough was enough when I put Windows 7 on it.

Thing is, it also has/had an M-Audio Delta card (with break out box) and an old copy of Cubase (with dongle!) that had both performed admirably over the years, and been used to sketch out ideas etc.

Admittedly, neither card or Cubase had much use in the last few years, but I do quite fancy getting a USB sound card & DAW Software to see if I can come up with some new ideas and get writing again (when time allows).

So...

What's the "best" USB multi-input sound card available for not much cash?

Which is the best, reasonably priced DAW recording package to go for?

Are there any reasonably priced USB sound cards that have the DAW package bundled?

Looking for some recommendations/scare stories etc, while not looking to spend too much cash on it.

Ta.

The Focusrite Scarlett series are awesome for the moneys, about £120 for the 2i2, I had one of these and it was great and the quality of sound was excellent. Just upgrading to a Scarlett 18i8, need more ins and outs, these are about £290 and have the same award winning pre amps as the 2i2. I use Sonar X2 Producer which is a great DAW, they are all similar really. You get a version of Ableton lite packaged with the Focusrite stuff.

Ive just replaced my ageing Delta 2496 card with a very nice Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I was going to go for the 2i2 but like the idea of the mix control on the 2i4, as most of the time ill just be playing along to iTunes for learning songs etc, so dont want to have to open up a DAW just to do this. I also wanted the pad buttons as i had read that the inputs could be easily over driven. After a few tests i dont really need the buttons, the signal level from my bass is low enough to work fine, but i guess its nice ot have this extra control.
The Focusrite stuff seems to have a very strong following, and even with just a few hours play with mine tonight i can see why. So far its been rock solid and perfect for my set up (which includes my son needing to use the PC)
As already said, it does come with Ableton Live lite. Ive not bothered with this as i have the full Live 9 suite, plus Sonar X1 and the 2i4 worked perfectly with those first time.

Ive always thought internal sound cards were better, and i had a M-Audio Fast track that was a nightmare to use a few years ago. With M-Audio not writing any new drivers, specifically for Windows 8 i felt it was time to move on.

If on a low budget the Behringer interfaces look really nice, and they are a lot cheaper.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1391558297' post='2358692']Ive always thought internal sound cards were better, and i had a M-Audio Fast track that was a nightmare to use a few years ago. With M-Audio not writing any new drivers, specifically for Windows 8 i felt it was time to move on.

If on a low budget the Behringer interfaces look really nice, and they are a lot cheaper.
[/quote]

Didn't know about M-Audio not supporting equipment for Win 8, was looking at the M Track as a possibility as well, but with my new machine running Win 8.1, it sounds like it's one to avoid.

I was hoping to get a 4 input interface rather than a 2 channel, partly as a hang-over from the Delta BoB, but partly with the thought that I can record say a drum machine or other source as well as a guitar/bass. The Akai EIE caught my eye (retro design , vu's & switches), as did the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6/Saffire Pro 14 and the Lexicon Lambda/Omega amongst others.

More research required I think, but keep those suggestions/recommendations coming, all fuel for the fire... ;)

The Saffire range are firewire ( if you do use a Saffire.use a firwire card not a connector to USB or you will have problems) only as far as I know, could be wrong? The Scarletts are USB, the 6i6 is a great interface, they are a bit more expensive than most audio interfaces but you get what you pay for, I borrowed a Line 6 and to be honest the recording quality is rubbish towards my Focusrite Scarlett.

No Firewire interface, so I'll avoid the Saffire then... Looked good as well.

Quite impressed with the Lexicon Omega, even though it's bundled with an older version of Cubase LE (4), have seen a couple of the larger UK retailers selling them off at a reasonable price for what you get. OK, so I do realise that this means that the product will no doubt be discontinued in the not too distant future, but even so, it still seems like a good deal. Plus I've used an older version of Cubase, so should be at least a teensy bit familiar with it (in theory of course!).

Time to raid the piggy bank (again).

I got a saffire, and a firewire card for my old studio PC, as it is too old to take even USB 2.0 sadly, so the scarlett was never going to work. The saffire is great, the PC is definitely on its way out this year though. Still trying to figure out a way of running Reaper in Ubuntu so I can abandon windoze forever.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1391604103' post='2359025']
Didn't know about M-Audio not supporting equipment for Win 8, was looking at the M Track as a possibility as well, but with my new machine running Win 8.1, it sounds like it's one to avoid.

[/quote]

Windows 8.1? Is that the leaked ISO or beta?

Its not due out until about April i believe.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1391610673' post='2359171']
No Firewire interface, so I'll avoid the Saffire then... Looked good as well.

Quite impressed with the Lexicon Omega, even though it's bundled with an older version of Cubase LE (4), have seen a couple of the larger UK retailers selling them off at a reasonable price for what you get. OK, so I do realise that this means that the product will no doubt be discontinued in the not too distant future, but even so, it still seems like a good deal. Plus I've used an older version of Cubase, so should be at least a teensy bit familiar with it (in theory of course!).

Time to raid the piggy bank (again).
[/quote]

My Lexicon Alpha was said to include Cubase LE4 (Even on the box) but it came with 5 so that might be the same situation.

Liam

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1391632693' post='2359600']
Windows 8.1? Is that the leaked ISO or beta?

Its not due out until about April i believe.
[/quote]

It's been out a while I think.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Focusrite are very good especially for the pre sections, but not so good about the drivers, I experienced several issues with them and not only me… keep in mind an entry level audio interface from most specific company for audio recording. Motu is one of them, great hardware and software stable too, plus all of their products come with a DAW entry level version from Motu.
Give it a check to Microbook for example, in my opinion it worth the price!