Why become a member? ×

Hung by the neck until........

lowlandtrees

I've always felt you know that my Wal doesn't like hanging and needs a slight truss-rod tighten if it's hung for a while. It may just be me though 'cause it has a neck built like a proverbial out-house and a really can't see why hanging would increase the relief. Anyway, these days I always put it on a stand rather than hang it. Anybody else with a Wal feel the same?

P

Never wanted to take a chance on hanging, also you seem to spend more time wiping the dust off then you do playing them. Nothing worse than showing your bass to a fellow bass player and having to wipe the dust off first. Even if you use dust covers to cover them up dust still seems to penetrate. I had a cabinet built by an Amish gentleman with sliding glass doors. Keeps them ready to play at all times, keeps them dust free and I can control the cabinet temperature and humidity to insure that the acoustic basses are always within range. I used tool hangars on a sliding rail so the distance between basses is adjustable, and covered the tool hangars with foam and plastic end caps:

We chose solid white oak for the cabinet which will be stained "Harvest".

Covered the bottom rails and the hangars with organic untreated euro cotton velvet. Off we go:

And with the glass doors and basses installed, I got 16 in 66":

BassHappy
www.innertainment.net

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1406402031' post='2511266']
Wow! That is soo much better than my cupboard with bass cases and guitar cases inside.
This way they're also asking to be played.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, for me, right or wrong HANDY is the name of the game.

BassHappy
www.innertainment.net

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406198268' post='2509200']
Didn't someone suggest hanging [color=#505050][font=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif]Esther McVey? Or did I dream it? Either way it would be very wrong. :mellow:[/font][/color]
[/quote]

It would indeed be a travesty if they did. Fleetwood Mac were a great band back in the day.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1406213356' post='2509390']
I've always felt you know that my Wal doesn't like hanging and needs a slight truss-rod tighten if it's hung for a while. It may just be me though 'cause it has a neck built like a proverbial out-house and a really can't see why hanging would increase the relief. Anyway, these days I always put it on a stand rather than hang it. Anybody else with a Wal feel the same?

P
[/quote]

I seem to remember Pete showing me at the old workshop how they made a point of hanging the new basses by the neck to see if they shifted before they shipped them.

I have 5 basses on my studio wall, all of them with Hercules autoswivel & autograb hangers and I've never had a problem. They've been on for over two years now and they've had from 5 string basses to heavy 70s Fenders.
My advice would be to check the screws now and then, of course, use the appropriate wall plugs too.

Thats my German bow that does not get used and i can confirm that my bow playing is just as bad with the French bow not in shot! The room is north facing so only a bit of sun comes in plus it has a wooden slat blind too, the back bedroom on the other hand managed to age my strat neck within a few weeks to a nice honey colour :D

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1407048020' post='2516828']
Hang 'em high!

Just make sure you fit the Hercules clamps to a solid wall, use longer screws and heavy duty wall plugs. Fit and forget!

[url="http://s144.photobucket.com/user/xt660/media/761198e9.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]
I always enjoy looking at your wall Fran. :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1407409510' post='2520165']
I don't understand hanging basses on the wall.

They're not ornaments to me. I keep all my basses in their cases and my main gigging bass doesn't come out at home.
[/quote]

I feel that a wall is just too bare without a bass or two hanging on it. :)

But, like you, my main giggin bass stays in its case.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1407409510' post='2520165']
I don't understand hanging basses on the wall.

They're not ornaments to me. I keep all my basses in their cases and my main gigging bass doesn't come out at home.
[/quote]

Well, I happen to think they also make for a nice feature wall :D
[url="http://s105.photobucket.com/user/PauBass/media/BassWall_zps240249a4.jpg.html"][/url]

Not much space, other than the garage, for storing them in our house so having them on the wall it's the best option and it's very handy when you are using different basses for different bands/songs.
For gigs I use my Protect Gigbag and the cases are stored away.

Edited by PauBass