Why become a member? ×

74 PB in Gumtree

lowlandtrees

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vintage-74-fender-precision-bass/1046785796

Saw this in Gumtree. Anyone any comments as to value, authenticity etc. Look in good nick from pics. I have a (mint) Gibson 355 Lucille to trade but looks like he may want cash. He/she can only say no. Always fancied an old PB but I was the same with the 355. Now I never play it.

Not sure if the logo is correct - can't really see it properly - and I'd say it looks a bit too white for a forty-year-old. I would have expected the poly coat to have degraded to a creamy yellow hue by now. So it may be a refin. Unless it's been mothballed in airtight conditions, of course. :)

Edited by discreet

I'm most definitely not a Fender bass expert, but if that's 40 years old then I'm a duck.

The thing with Fender basses, is they're workhorse instruments, and relatively cheap. Meaning they pick up dents and marks from playing, even if they're well looked after.
To me that looks too new. I had an olympic white 5 string jazz that was only about 5 years old, that had started to dull and yellow ever so slightly, you could really notice it if you took the scratch plate off.