Why become a member? ×

NBD - Crashed and burned again

BobVbass

So for ages have thought it would be nice to have a Yamaha 5 string and have liked the look of the RBX765's since they were new - spent ages looking and finally found an almost unused one in transparent red ash, gold hardware - looks the mutts.

Bought it, set it up, plays like a dream, sounds awesome at home; deep piano clarity, beautiful!

Took it to band practice last night, could i get it to sound good in the mix? Could I hell! Every tone under the sun except one that I liked - far too twangy, punchy, modern sounding I suppose. :( I spent half the evening mucking about twiddling the guitar and fiddling with the amp. Finally gave up (resisting the urge to throw the bloody thing across the room) swapped back to my Lakland and boom, bang on sound straight away.

I guess I'm just a muddy P bass player - fed up now :( don't know whether to sell it on or persevere; having been in this situation in the past I just know if a guitar doesn't feel right from the off it's not going to get better is it? :( :unsure:

Anyway that's my Friday whining moan over with :)

I bet it's more of a case of expecting to hear the sound you're used to in the mix.

I had the same last night using the P rather than my usual J.

Sounded growly and great for some songs then others where the bass is more prominent or subtly it sounded strange.

Yep. I've had that experience. Warwick - too weedy. Rickenquiterighttoprotectyourindentitybacker - too plinky. Steinberger - wouldn't sit in the mix. MM Stingray - only for your slap and poppers.

Fender USA Precision ..... proper. Strap on - rock. Do not accept imitations.

I can do muddy on mine, but I get punch and rasp with legendary bottom end.

I know this is a cliché answer but it may be a case of having to EQ your amp to a tone that sounds a little unpleasant on its on in order to sit in the mix. I love Precisions because you can practically plug and play with them but some basses do require a bit of amp-side tweaking to get the best results.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I know this is a cliché answer but it may be a case of having to EQ your amp to a tone that sounds a little unpleasant on its on in order to sit in the mix. [/font][/color][/quote]

yeah tried that and also tried a Boss EQ in line and still wasn't happy! ;)

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It might sound better than you think if you're in a small room.[/font][/color][/quote]

True - was a village hall so pub-ish sized space - little echoey but nothing the Lakland doesn't laugh at and brush aside.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Phew! I thought this might be the first-ever thread criticising Yamaha build quality. [/font][/color] ;)[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Swap it for a BB425? [/font][/color][/quote]

Blimey no! the build quality is gorgeous and the body and finger board wood are really nice... BB425 eh...not a bad idea...or maybe just get another precision :)

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Stick some flats on it? That'll kill the twangy, modern sounding aspect of it! [/font][/color][/quote]

yeah I did think that but then I might be sending good money after bad (not that it's a bad guitar but you know what I mean..)

I'll have a think about it over the weekend (which probably means it will be appearing the for sale section I suppose :D)

This usually happens with a new bass, amp, or even strings - you look for the sound you`re used to. Recently gone through this with flats, as oppose to my usual rounds. If the sound is too twangy etc, maybe put some flats on, or get some old rounds - how old are the strings on the Lakkie?

Saying all that though, I`m a muddy P-Bass player as well, so know where you`re coming from.

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1391158435' post='2353836']
So for ages have thought it would be nice to have a Yamaha 5 string and have liked the look of the RBX765's since they were new - spent ages looking and finally found an almost unused one in transparent red ash, gold hardware - looks the mutts.

Bought it, set it up, plays like a dream, sounds awesome at home; deep piano clarity, beautiful!

Took it to band practice last night, could i get it to sound good in the mix? Could I hell! Every tone under the sun except one that I liked - far too twangy, punchy, modern sounding I suppose. :( I spent half the evening mucking about twiddling the guitar and fiddling with the amp. Finally gave up (resisting the urge to throw the bloody thing across the room) swapped back to my Lakland and boom, bang on sound straight away.

I guess I'm just a muddy P bass player - fed up now :( don't know whether to sell it on or persevere; having been in this situation in the past I just know if a guitar doesn't feel right from the off it's not going to get better is it? :( :unsure:

Anyway that's my Friday whining moan over with :)
[/quote]

I'm on the exact opposite side from you. I tried J's and P's (and everything in between) and nothing sounds as good and as versatile as my TRB. I understand your description of "twangy", it's the Yammy character but before you shift it try this EQ setting:

Volume: full, obviously
Balance: slight towards the neck PU from the detent (about 60% neck PU and 40% bridge PU)
Treble: flat, or a bit cut if you get too many highs
Bass: boost at taste

There's also another thing you may have to take in to consideration, what did the rest of the band and the audience thought about your sound? I had situations where i had my sound on stage a bit too trebly but on the PA it was full, rich and lovely. In every band i've played the guys tend to prefer the sound of the TRB on stage because it has more definiton and doesn't muddy the stage sound.

Maybe you should see if you can try a TRB5 or a 1005, they sell pretty cheap and the mid control could help you tailor your sound a bit better.

As allways, it's unnecessary to point out that a great soloed sound often doesn't work on a mix scenario.

Cheers

Very good point that, I tried a couple of sounds out last night and there was one which was great - until the rest of the band started. Then there was no power. Typically the trebly, middy, twangy sound was the one that really worked well in the mix.