Why become a member? ×

Any advice before I finalize my pedal board ?

Turk

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Before I finish off by shortening power leads etc, does anyone have any opinions/suggestions on whether the pedal sequence needs amending ?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4].[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I currently have the LS-2 selecting either:[/font][/color]
[b]A ) BP50 processor. [/b]
[b]B ) Synth Wah > Over Drive > Chorus > Delay[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]or a mixture of [/font][/color][b]A)[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] and [/font][/color][b] B), [/b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]with[/color][/font][b] 'Bypass' [/b]obviously[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] being the clean 'bass and amp only'[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] sound[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Is there a better sequence for the pedal chain in[/font][/color][b] B ),[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] or am I good to go ? [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sounds fine to me, but maybe I'm missing something that would be better again. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers. [/font][/color] Edited by Turk

You can get lots of different opinions of what is right & wrong. The only one that counts is yours. You could experiment with changing the order of pedals, you might be surprised how they interact in new ways. If you don't like it just change it back. As long as you like the sounds you get, then enjoy making your music. That's what it's all about :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1391122235' post='2353655']
No such thing as a final board!
[/quote]
Too right. Everytime I (foolishly) think 'that's it done' I guarantee soon enough I'll find a new pedal to add or I change it around, again. This week the Bass Big Muff is back in for a couple of gigs.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1391195208' post='2354533']
I see two empty plug sockets; one for the new bass whammy. The other one , I'm not sure about.
[/quote]

[b]LAH LAH LAH[/b]...I can't hear you !! [b]LAH LAH LAH LAH [/b]

The board is never final!

Although havign said that, here's a tip I discovered recently that LS-2 is really good for (looks like you're doing this kind-of anyway). I've got pedals that can suck a bit too much bottom end out the signal (wah, fuzz, env filter) on the A loop of my LS-2. The B loop is just the input routed back to itself. The LS-2 is set to mix A+B, or full bypass. So whenever I'm using those effects, I've always got a bit of dry signal being mixed back in. The from the output of the LS-2 I've got other pedals which don't affect bottom end too much... chorus, desampler, volume. The plan is to get my Super Synth and Wahoo in this part of the path as well. Pre-LS-2 are tuner, compressor and preamp. Here's a pic from a recent rehearsal, so far unboarded:

This is really a personal preference, only YOU will know the answer.
I agree that boards are never "final" as such, but I am on my third incarnation in 12 months, so hopefully my picture is becoming a little clearer. Once this board is set, I would probably build a second board to suit whatever that was.

The only word of caution I would offer is to be wary of buffered effects pedals. My first setup sucked the life right out of my tone, which led to me splitting it up. I then started to build a true bypass only rig before discovering that it's not the answer either!!!! I would suggest playing through your board, then without changing any settings plug direct into your amp and see if there is any difference, I found they were world apart! Remember that buffered (boss style) pedals will suck tone even if they are not on, I'd suggest investing in an effect loop box so you can true bypass the pedals when not used, I found a great article about this recently and it suggested you should have your distortion/overdrive pedals first (pedals through an effect loop or true bypass) then have a signal buffer or a buffered pedal, then whatever other effects also on a loop or true bypass.
Reason for this is the distortion pedals are not design to have a buffered signal put into them, so the effect of the tone suck is more pronounced, especially with multiple buffered pedals.
The reason for the buffer is to put something in the signal chain so your pickups don't have to overcome te capacitance of the whole board, without it, the more buffered pedals and patch leads you have is equivalent to rolling the tone pot back!!

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1391774688' post='2361114']
I've got pedals that can suck a bit too much bottom end out the signal (wah, fuzz, env filter) on the A loop of my LS-2...
[/quote]

If your envelope filter is sucking bottom end, replace it, unless it's a high pass filter & that's what you're after.
If it's a low pass, then it's kinda pointless if you're having to put it in a loop.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1391844258' post='2361875']
If your envelope filter is sucking bottom end, replace it, unless it's a high pass filter & that's what you're after.
If it's a low pass, then it's kinda pointless if you're having to put it in a loop.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. It's still all a work in progress so anything could happen - also I suspect the Sonuus Wahoo, once I've figured it out, will probably kick the Ashdown envelope filter into touch.