Why become a member? ×

Country music recommended listening?

davidpike

Someone mentioned Vincent Gill -check out The Time Jumpers featuring him and Dawn Sears and lots of other great players. Their song "Faint of Heart" is one of the best new songs I've heard in years.

I also agree with those who say lol to the past - Hank Williams wrote some absolute classics.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1390854314' post='2350503']
... I also agree with those who say lol to the past - Hank Williams wrote some absolute classics.
[/quote]

'I said to Hank Williams: how lonely does it get?
Hank Williams hasn't answered yet
But I hear him coughing all night long
A hundred floors above me
In the Tower of Song'

(Leonard Cohen, 'Tower of Song')

[size=4][font=Arial, sans-serif]boxcar willie...............................................[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Which by the way is not something you get by shagging in the back of small motorcars.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]…………..I thank you.[/font][/size]

Edited by seymourfluid

Thanks all for your suggestions. My ipod is now stacked with a real mix of stuff to listen to in the car (I spent nearly 5 hours in the car today!) and I'm getting a fairly broad (if shallow) country education. A special thanks to JapanAxe for his suggestion to listen to Bob Harris' radio 2 show. Iplayer, here we come.

• 2 months later...

I was allergic to country for 30 years too; but it won me over eventually....through funk, strangely enough...
Check out an obscure funk artist called Bad Bascomb and a 7" called Funk City (b/w Crocodile) - it has country in it, which blew the gates off the hinges for me at the time

Nobody seems to have mentioned Johnny Cash yet....his Live at Folsom Prison LP is a great piece of country blues.

I think George Jones's guitar playing is overlooked sometimes too....what he can do with a Tele is damn cool.
Of course Glen Campbell is a killer guitarist too and some of the songs are great, if you can hear past the schmalz.
Kris Kristofferson is a great country writer and artist too.

Edited by Bassnut62