Why become a member? ×

Buying from Europe question.

karlfer

No doubt it's been covered, but lets just say I wanted to buy a bass from a luthier in Holland.
The bass is, for ease, £1000 inc vat. Delivery is £50 including VAT.
What other costs/duties am I likely to get hit with?.
I am finding it increasingly harder to resist Peterbuilt's products :P

LOL true, no extra taxes when buying from Europe. Am I correct in believing that, in theory, you could get their VAT off the price and re-pay VAT on arrival of the bass in the UK, but that would only be worth the hassle if their VAT percentage was a lot higher than ours.
Keep an eye on the Sterling to Euro exchange rate and buy at the best moment, if you can keep your GAS under control :D

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1390427606' post='2345451']
You got a Euro account then?!!
[/quote]

Doesn't nationwide not charge for Euro payments and give a good exchange rate too (been a while since I checked Moneysavingexpert) on their debit and credit cards?

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1390481210' post='2345839']
They show them to you in £ on the website, but they charge you the equivalent in € on your credit card.
[/quote]

Warwick Star Bass bought from Thomann: August 8th 2013. Euros 795, UK £ 687 [b]plus £20.29 [/b]non sterling transaction fee from MasterCard.
When I bought the case from them via Bank Transfer it was an extra £ 6 off the top of my head on £90ish. So unless you have a credit or debit card with free Euro transactions there is extra to pay but not as the OP worried, in VAT/duties.