Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

Thing is, even at full price, these guitars are only like a hundred quid, so it's not like your getting an amazing deal is it? Not trying to knock this thread. I'm just thinking if you put work into the bass, it's still going to be a cheap plank, is it not?
I'm sure someone will prove me wrong here, forgive me if I sound sceptical , it's just I'm always wary of hundred quid guitars.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1421486500' post='2661749']
ubit

My JB-75 came with Wilkinson tuners £25, Wilkinson bridge £12, Wilkinson pickups £30 - £40.
D'Addario strings say £12 - £14. Ash body and a Maple neck.

Where's the cheap plank ?
[/quote]

Sorry mate, I'm not trying to slag off anyone's guitar but those are hardly high end prices are they? I'm sure they play ok, just not for me. You would not expect a great guitar for a hundred quid. If you're buying second hand that's different.

Point was ubit that's roughly £90 of parts on a £90 bass but my JB-75 cost £33.

How do they match ? My PB-50 eats my Squier Affinity for breakfast, hell the £50 PB-20 does that.
BZ 4000 it holds it's own against my Cirrus and Millennium and I prefer it to the Vintage V1004/5s.

I reckon you a bloody good deal for <£100 but here it's half price dekos that rarely need more than a
set up that's the topic.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1421453425' post='2661627']
Maude, did you buy one?

[/quote]

I sure did.
I was after a B30 to match the fretless I bought but they only had black. This looks like a nice spec and I had a voucher which covered the postage.

The wait begins :)

Re the value and playability of these instruments, the fretless I will take to gigs as backup to my doublebass should the worst happen. I'd have no problem gigging these basses and really can't understand the mentality of if it's cheap it must be bad, to me if it plays well and holds tune then it's gig worthy,the rest is down to the player, sure an expensive bass is nice but not necessarily going to sound any better.

Edited by Maude

I think perhaps what Ubit was really getting at is, ultimately, they are still low end/value instruments and the amount being saved in these deals is great relatively speaking, but perhaps not so great in the bass market as a whole? If we were looking at, say a 75% discount for these "unplayable" instruments, my tail would be wagging if £400 basses were being sold for £100 as deko, as opposed to £100 basses being sold for £25. Have there been any more premium instruments sold in a similar way?

Yes AT, it was your post that led me to it, so yes it's your fault :)
That said, I have been checking on Thomann as well so hopefully would have seen it.
But yes, keep posting as it is good to have your program that flags them up on our side.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1421528470' post='2662403']
I think perhaps what Ubit was really getting at is, ultimately, they are still low end/value instruments and the amount being saved in these deals is great relatively speaking, but perhaps not so great in the bass market as a whole? If we were looking at, say a 75% discount for these "unplayable" instruments, my tail would be wagging if £400 basses were being sold for £100 as deko, as opposed to £100 basses being sold for £25. Have there been any more premium instruments sold in a similar way?
[/quote]

I'd think that the QC rejects of more expensive instruments never find their way to retailers like Thomann, as they either pass through distributors in between the factory and retailer or never leave the factory in the first place. Thomann are presumably getting container loads of these direct from the factory, so have to do their own QC.

Kev, I'd imagine it will only be the Harley Benton range being reduced as other brands, I assume, would go back to the manufacturer if there were problems.
I don't think anyone is unaware of what they are buying, no one is expecting a high end instrument. Just a perfectly useable, nicely made bass for fifty quid to your door. I spend more than that on fuel every week.
I understand what your saying though, if their 60th anniversary Fender P came up for £250 I'd have a broken keyboard from trying to order it so fast.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1421529192' post='2662420']
I understand what your saying though, if their 60th anniversary Fender P came up for £250 I'd have a broken keyboard from trying to order it so fast.
[/quote]
:D

Maude's right only Harley Bentons get sold as dekos.

Returned items of any brand get sold as B-stock and any broken Harley Bentons get sold through their ebay shop.

They did have a HBZ 4 a few weeks back £150 odd going for £59 if I remember right. Lasted about 4 minutes.

Anyone looking to score a Fender P as deko is looking at the wrong thread, maybe if the thread was called Harley Benton decoration only basses
folk wouldn't be disappointed when they don't see Fenders etc.

Too late now there's been a deko buying frenzy last few weeks. :)

@Maude - instruments from other brands seem to be sold through Thomann's ebay.

Thanks for the feedback on posting links. I'm not going to catch all of them as I have to be within earshot of the computer, which has to be on. My previous postings in this thread today were from my phone, courtesy Chiltern Trains free wifi. If any deko basses go up while I'm not online, I miss them completely. Anything go up today?

@Beer of the Bass. On the German music forum, they interviewed the 'brains behind Harley Benton'. He explicitly said that they do their own QC.

@Kev - price wise they may be low end instruments, but my experience of them is that in terms of quality they match moderately more expensive basses. I own low end (and some older mid-range) instruments. But, I've played expensive basses so that I can compare. IMHO I'm not missing out that much. I wondered who would want to buy a bolt-on SB200 SG copy, even if it was about £20 or so. But, after listening to the sample audio clips, and reading some reviews, it's plausible that someone would want one and find that a good deal.

For me, I have been wanting a fretless for some time, and my Deko is my first fretless. I'm enjoying playing it. How much would I have had to pay to get something better? Probably £200-300 I would guess.

I'd be interested in hearing what people here would be interested in buying as Deko. I would be tempted by a good ukulele. I might jump on a fretless Jazz, though I don't need a second fretless just yet. Previously I said that I'd buy an 8 string guitar if one came up, but when one did, I didn't. Maybe I will next time. The semi-acoustic HB-60. Hmmm.... Do I really need another four string bass? Resonator bass? Hmmm..... No. Bass Ukulele. Again, maybe, but when one came up I didn't hit the button. I guess that my next Harley Benton purchase will be a p-bass kit. However, I'm not sure I'd buy a Deko one of those.... Do I want a fretted acoustic? Hmm......

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1421531565' post='2662479']
AT

I know about 4 people who have bought P-bass kits so far this year.Most with heavy mods in mind.

Have you similar thoughts.?

It's only basses for me deko or not and 4 strings at that.
[/quote]

I'm p'd off at myself that my ukulele kit build didn't work out. I may be able to fix the intonation issues if I find my nut files and buy a file to file the bridge down further. My main aim for the p-bass kit would be to put it together and have it turn out OK, plus do finishing for the first time. The reason for choosing a p-bass over a j-bass is that I don't have a p-bass at all. Well, I don't have a j bass either, but I feel it's the p-bass sound that I\m least able to get close to with what I have. If I did upgrade it, it'd probably be a pickup. Replacing the single pickup on a p-bass with (say) a quarter pounder is a lot cheaper than replacing j-bass pickups.

BTW: For me, the boundary between guitars and basses has blurred a bit since I started tuning my guitars in all fourths like a bass. With the shorter scale, the low E string of an eight string guitar won't sound as good as a bass, I believe, but a cheap 8 string would be an interesting item to have lying around for use with a looper.

Edited by Annoying Twit